Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good books about the Israel/Palestine dilemma?  (Read 504 times)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
Good books about the Israel/Palestine dilemma?
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

In light of current events unfolding in the latest punching-match between Israel and Palestine, I've decided it's about time to dispel my ignorance about the issues by consulting the mountain of literature on this topic.  Frankly, I don't even know where to begin. 

Could someone recommend to me an insightful and non-biased book that closely examines both sides of the argument?  I have a great deal of bookstore credit to use up and this is a good place to start.  In particular a single book that contains both points of view would be ideal and save me the trouble of reading two asymmetrically proportioned books.  Yes, I am OCD, why do you ask?

In the past I supported Israel, but in the last few years (ever since college, really) I've been leaning heavily pro-Palestinian.  However since most of the literature I read or hear about the situation is written by Palestinian sympathizers, my knowledge is accordingly one-sided.  It's a touchy topic, so I'd like to do my homework before opening my loud pseudo-intellectual mouth in public again.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:03:22 am by Seamas »
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good books about the Israel/Palestine dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:32:02 am »

Jerusalem - the book by Simon Sebag Montefiore looks at the background of the conflict pretty well, though the overall history of Jerusalem and its inhabitants is its focus, from Biblical times to the modern day. It's very useful if you're looking for the actual historical facts on the 'Holy Land' and various claims on it by the different sides and whatnot. Very neutral, IMO.

It's a great book to anyone in any case, I suggest a read if you're at all interested.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:48:34 am »

I respect this OP. More people should want to do what this person wants: Actually try to find an understanding of the conflict's background, by digging deeper into literature and history, before speaking out and condemning either party.

Misinformation, and ignorance, I think, are some of the main problems for (both sides of) this conflict.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:50:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:09 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion DH.  I went looking for that book at my local bookstore but they didn't have a copy.  There were two full shelves on the topic and so I did some digging.  It was harder than I expected to find a book that was self-described as neutral and examined both sides.  Some were agonizingly dry, some overly broad in scope (for my purposes) and others smelled of restrained proselytizing.

I came home with a smallish book called One Land, Two Peoples by one Deborah Gerner.... it's like a reader one would get assigned in a college course.  It's been expedited to the top of my 8" stack of reading-in-waiting in case I unexpectedly have to drop some informed opinion in a conversation soon.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."