Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Clones  (Read 3732 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: DF Clones
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:02 am »

Ah. I did not know when dungeon keeper was released, so i figured i'd just note it.

And i was talking about Fortress mode. I don't think there are any df "clones" that do adventure mode (yet).

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:21:39 am »

Ah. I did not know when dungeon keeper was released, so i figured i'd just note it.

And i was talking about Fortress mode. I don't think there are any df "clones" that do adventure mode (yet).

URR and Cult!

edit: Obviously, those aren't clones, but neither are the games linked in the OP.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 10:43:44 am »

If you upgrade the graphics then Skyrim is Adventure Mode ripoff :P  Or Red Faction Guerrilla (which I'm playing now, thanks Hemmingjay).  Or any other free roam game.

Which somehow got me thinking.  Why has no one made a DF clone in scifi?  They tend to stick with the same time period and the same short people.  Y U NO Robots?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 10:46:02 am »

I'd say procedural generation and being able to play any role in the game is a prerequisite of being DF 1.0 adv mode ''clone''.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:48:02 am by Dutchling »

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 11:45:53 am »

Procedural generation is the main thing, really. Playing any role goes back to the detailed world-building of Ultima in the way back.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 01:27:45 pm »

If you upgrade the graphics then Skyrim is Adventure Mode ripoff :P  Or Red Faction Guerrilla (which I'm playing now, thanks Hemmingjay).  Or any other free roam game.

Which somehow got me thinking.  Why has no one made a DF clone in scifi?  They tend to stick with the same time period and the same short people.  Y U NO Robots?

Well, there is Maia (Which just got Funded!), although that's less DF clone and more DF meets Dungeon Keeper meets Sci-Fi.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »

Should we mention that WoW ripped off Ultima Online or even further back with some of the grapichless MUDs and stuff...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »

Aurora... sort of. Lots of depth and complexity, but a much larger scale than DF.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 06:41:58 pm »

I hereby declare this subgenre of RTS games: Fortlikes.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 07:15:34 pm »

Man, [insert name here]-like is probably the second worst possible genre name.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 07:35:56 pm »

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 

Now, nobody likes it when a game comes out that it basically a carbon copy of a previous title.  They're the equivalent of the low-budget B movies that always come out on DVD alongside big-hype movies.  But if a game wants to build on the successful concepts someone else pioneered, why reinvent the wheel?  If it results in a better game, go for it.  Think about it like science.  If you publish a "discovery" identical to one somebody else did, you're either a plagiarist or just stupid.  But nobody expects every scientist to re-discover gravity, thermodynamics, relativity and calculus on their own before they make a new discovery, because that would be silly and there'd never be any progress. 

So, if somebody came out with a game called "Midget Bunker" that was for all intents and purposes DF with a different name slapped on it, that would tick me off.  But games like AGoD, Towns, Gnomoria, etc... good for them. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."
Pages: 1 [2]