Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Clones  (Read 3739 times)

Xanto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF Clones
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:10:32 pm »

Hi there!

What do you people think of this graphical "copies" of DF? Great that they are around or dirty opportunists that should meet the dwellers of the botomless pit?

http://www.townsgame.com/

http://gnomoria.com/

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/a-game-of-dwarves

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: DF Clones
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:38 pm »

We like them.

Mostly.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 10:05:20 pm »

Yeah we love em.  Need more of them though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 10:15:05 pm »

It is really hard to get mad at people who successfully emulate some aspects of dwarf fortress... when there is a HUUUUGE pile of dead games of people who were going to do Dwarf Fortress except better.

In fact don't forget "Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones" as another game inspired by Dwarf Fortress. Currently alive but deep in early development.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »

Some people really hate them. I think the guy who made Dwarfs gave away free copies to counter all the irrational hate. Since then, people have been more accepting of them.

I don't buy the whole "stole Toady's idea". DF is already developed far beyond what any company could catch up to. Even Paradox couldn't do it. All people can do now is capture the base essence of the game (building forts and dying) and adds the only thing it lacks - graphics.

I don't see it being bad for Toady's pet project either. It opens the Dwarf Fortress... genre... to a lot of casual players who would otherwise be put off by the complexity of the game. Once those players get bored of the shallow features and have mastered the basic concepts, they can move on to the massive world Toady created.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:50:50 pm »

I see the whole thing as similar to Doom clones and FPS's - Some people don't like them but where is the malice?

Infact, I think DF effectively creating a genre of games is awesome. If I created a game that started a whole genre, I would be thrilled beyond belief.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:58:19 am »

Some people really hate them. I think the guy who made Dwarfs gave away free copies to counter all the irrational hate. Since then, people have been more accepting of them.

The more complete story is that a few people made the baseless claim that Dwarfs ripped of DF despite their only similarities being the inclusion of dwarves that dig. Then out of nowhere one of the devs gave away a huge number of Steam keys on the B12 Dwarfs thread. The community was grateful. And then he wrote a public apology to B12 for the misunderstanding. And then he gave away more keys. And then later he did it again, because why the hell not I guess.

Basically the nicest dude ever.

Also, yeah. I don't hate Sonic the Hedgehog just because he fucking ripped off Mario. Get over it. New games build off of older games. I've yet to see a proper DF-clone, just games that use it as inspiration.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:03:42 am »

Games build on eachother. Whatever modern shooter the kids are gobbing about these days can trace its lineage directly back to Wolfenstein 3D, and even further if you're less picky about what constitutes a first-person shooter.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:49:03 am »

Wolfenstein 3D was just a ripoff of the original Rogue.  All they did was make the pacing more real time.

And that's why Roguelikes are the core of gaming :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 05:38:07 am »

Wolfenstein 3D was just a ripoff of the original Rogue.

Wow.... I never thought of it like that. You do most of the same things; you fight monsters, descend deeper in to a dungeon, collect keys and treasure, search for hidden doors, and eventually fight the boss at the end. I used to think Wolf 3D was bland, but I'm totally going to play with this mindset next time I find an opportunity to boot it up. Thanks Girlinhat!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 05:44:05 am »

So, to what is DF ripoff? Dungeon keeper? Or probably combination of few different games.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:34:49 am »

Infact, I think DF effectively creating a genre of games is awesome. If I created a game that started a whole genre, I would be thrilled beyond belief.

This .

DF gave birth to a whole genre, and the pretty little clones with eye candy are just starting to reach maturity :) . DF made the dream of overambitiously complex and randomly genned games a reality and opened up the way for MOAR !

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:21 am »

So, to what is DF ripoff? Dungeon keeper? Or probably combination of few different games.
I think DF developement started in 2001, sooo...

And imho, DF gave birth to a new sub-genre of RTS-es.
Doesn't make it any less awesome, tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 07:54:49 am »

It's not just a sub-genre of rts, more like rts retroactively becoming subgenre of df :p That'd be ignoring the whole adventurer part, for a start.

I mean think of it, DF is just the biggest, more complex and complete game ever attempted.

And in a couple years we'll have clones or visualisers looking like this :

(that's a screenshot of the tld mod for mount and blade, in DF terms that'd probably be a goblin siege catching up with your milicia, a late elf caravn and an early human one) , real time and all the bell and whistles, and gaming evolution will pretty much be done :p

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 08:05:12 am »

I think DF developement started in 2001, sooo...

And imho, DF gave birth to a new sub-genre of RTS-es.
Doesn't make it any less awesome, tough.

What does it have to do that it started in 2001? Dungeon keeper was released in 1997. The second one if I remember in 1999.
Pages: [1] 2