Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What defines a game as a 4X game?  (Read 618 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
What defines a game as a 4X game?
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:54:21 pm »

I see the term used every here and there, yet I'm not really sure what it means. The only 4X game I've played is Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (It was absolutely horrible. I hated it. MAYBE multiplayer would have been ok, otherwise it was terrible.) But, what defines a game as 4X and what are some examples?
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What defines a game as a 4X game?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »

You don't even need wikipedia, just the four words that named the genre. "Explore, expand, exploit, exterminate."

Civilization, Galactic Civilizations, SoaSE, Aurora, Master of Orion, Sword of the Stars, and so forth. The only real divisions tend to be with grand strategy (i.e. every game ever made by Paradox) and RTS (Starcraft, C&C, etc.). 4X games are longer-term than RTS (and can be either turn-based or real-time) and tend to have a different focus than grand strategy (mainly in that grand strategy games tend to start with predefined historical scenarios as opposed to tabula rasa and proceed through a complex evolution of minor diplomatic and political changes rather than discovering new star systems or fighting enemy fleets).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: What defines a game as a 4X game?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:24:29 pm »

X-plore your surroundings.
X-pand your empire/civilisation/race/collection of gumdrops.
X-ploit the resources around your newly expanded empire.
X-terminate, X-terminate!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy