Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgrading to SSD for laptop  (Read 749 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upgrading to SSD for laptop
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:16:43 am »

There is a great sale for large SSD's that fit into my laptop today. I was wondering if it would be best to replace both of my laptop's 500gb drives to these 256gb SSD or just the OS one. Would it make a big difference if I do both? Or is just the boot drive enough?
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading to SSD for laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »

if anything just get a 80gb for the OS and get a TB hard drive for your other stuff

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »

How awful do you feel that the disk loading times of your apps are?   If they're not really annoying you're not likely to see a huge improvement from the 2nd SSD.   Putting the OS on one will be striking, you'll really notice that.  Then you could move over your most used/most disk bound apps to that drive too, if it's making a huge huge difference THEN get a 2nd one imho.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »

I have Windows on my SSD, as well as smaller programs and utilities like browsers. Games and larger programs like Steam go on my terabyte HDD, as does the swap file.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:01 pm »

Despite all the benchmarks claiming miracles from SSD, in practical use I have noticed no difference.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:11:23 am »

Despite all the benchmarks claiming miracles from SSD, in practical use I have noticed no difference.

you are doing something wrong then or hardly loading anything in the first place