Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 992015 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6211 on: June 30, 2013, 11:59:27 pm »

:( I can't work with google docs. It used to be a hardware/OS incompatibility problem, but now I just can't figure out why they won't work.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: July 01, 2013, 12:08:47 am »

If we were to do something of the form using the quoting and inserting our own thing as suggested before, the issue with non-compliance is self-policing. Those who do not add their turn to the cheat sheet might just miss their turn. Sounds a tad harsh, but it would work. That is unless anyone here has an issue actually adding their thing TO the sheet, it would be unfair to restrict players based on internet-savvy or technical ability. And I suppose there is the problem of people posting very quickly close together, but if people post their turn, and then EDIT in the cheat sheet with the one from the player above, that could work, maybe.

Musings, ramblings. Hey, it's what I do!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: July 01, 2013, 12:18:15 am »

Id rather stick with "stats or gtfo" rather than use a google doc, but thats just me.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: July 01, 2013, 01:45:23 am »

In that case, a list that is passed down by each player is fine, I was just worried it might hit the word limit or something.
If we are taking that option, I suggest we use syvarris' template since it's quicker and easier to use than mine, if problems persist we then switch to mine which is more convoluted but has more information.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:49:39 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6215 on: July 02, 2013, 12:01:16 pm »

Ok. I'll be straight with you guys. I've been trying to get the drive to do a turn for a while now and can't find it. I feel like it's time to move on to other things. Either the game which is an extension of this or Poison, the other game I'm making now.

I'm sad to have to end the science and murder, doubly so because I know how disappointing it is to all of you. But, like Icarus, I feel my ambitions were too great for my capacities and now I have burnt out on it all. I just wouldn't be giving you guys the level of quality I want to hold myself too. I'll keep the lessons this game taught me in mind though, to make sure this doesn't happen again. I just wanted to let you guys know, rather then letting this fade into idleness while everyone waits for a turn that won't be coming.

I want to say a particular sorry to Bigf00t, who did a ton of work on those python programs only for me to go and pull this. If anyone intends to use this system in the future, I suggest asking him for a copy of the program, because for as little as I used it, it was an invaluable resource.

I also want to apologize to all the newer players who didn't get many turns. Sorry guys. I screwed up. I wish I could give you as many good times as the starting players but I don't think I can. Not in this game, at least.

Now, what happens next is up to you guys.

If some brave soul wants to step in to run this, I would be glad to hand over all the information. Hell, I would even be glad to sit back and do all the lore, map making, and help with action describing for them, if they needed it. That stuff I'm still more then happy to do.

If they instead want to go back to arena combat, I can do the same.

If you'd prefer that I simply give everyone a full dump of all the info for the game and then help anyone understand what they need to know about it to get their own games running or use it for other purposes, thats fine too.

What do you guys want to do?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:10 pm »

I'd say go with Poison and do an info-dump (or allow someone else to take over, but I doubt anybody would be willing to take on such a monster of a game without a reboot at the very least).

And for Poison or the other game, add a player cap of 10 or so. It's definitely needed to prevent burnout and keep the turn rate high.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:10 pm »

Well, now that it's done, I do find it odd how you never re-scrambled the words like you said would happen.

Honestly I would be fine with any of the three. Two maybe less so.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6218 on: July 02, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »

Whatever is best. No point doing this if it feels wrong. Thanks you for the good game and the fun times piecewise. Now, to see what happens... Like I said, I'm fine with any choice, and it's not like I have the skills to run an RTD like this so, nothing I can do here except wait for the next cool new game you do...

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:30 pm »

I find it interesting, ironic even, how close the page count of this is to the Multiworld Madness.

I feel like someone should make a thesis on this. Or at least extract some lessons.

In all seriousness, I feel like there is not nearly enough attention paid to the forum games outside of, well... the forums. This is a brand new field of entertainment, right? Unless you count the games people played by mail and by telegraph. So maybe it is time to start advancing... theories... thesises... books and other stuff that is supposed to help us not repeat the mistakes of the past.

I feel like you and Mirrsen should team up and... do something. Write a book. Give lessons. Oh well.

Anyway, nice job Piecewise. Hard to do it perfectly when there's nothing to build on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:17:22 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6220 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »

I would continue this, but unluckily my writing skills arent that great and i think a game of this size beats me.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »

Whatever's needed, no one wants you to force yourself for our sakes, when its time to move on its time to move on. I'm honestly okay with any of the options, Poison or the other game, or some weird combo of the two, or whatever really.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: July 02, 2013, 12:21:46 pm »

That'd be like playing fanfiction. I don't think it's a good idea, because at least some of the players won't like it, and probably stop playing, and it's a downward spiral at that point. Better to create new setting than dragging down the old ones.

EDIT: Well, there was an ninja edit, so I suppose now my comment doesn't make any sense. Yay!
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: July 02, 2013, 12:26:08 pm »

I enjoyed the hell out of the run.  Thanks for hosting it!

I will of course hop in any game you put up.  If anyone else puts this up, even the arena version, I'd hop in it too.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6224 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:00 pm »

This is the link to the entire Perplexicon folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/llsh00sgxtfes77/70dbF4LeCr

There's a lot of random stuff in it. Unfinished stuff, empty folders, the like. But it should give some idea of what was going on. The perplexicon word list and runes are in there as well. The list is an Open office document, which if thats a problem I'll just change it to a different format for you guys.

If anyone wants to use any of the stuff in there, feel free to. You can cite it back to me if you want but I don't really mind one way or another. If you have any questions about the stuff in there (since it wasn't made as a system to be given out there are lots of things that may exist only in my head.) feel free to ask.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 435