Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 992204 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6405 on: July 13, 2013, 05:28:08 pm »

Have some NPCs with a bit more magical knowledge written down in their journal attack some of the other players. They'll be able to learn that way.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: July 13, 2013, 05:28:41 pm »

I don't think it's possible to get Zentol control since it isn't a "true" element.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: July 13, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »

Have it open rifts... and cause corruption in the process until they gain enough favor with Nul-sheal to prevent such a thing, plus the ability to control Otherflesh. And also have eldritch voices burning their mind, telling them to say really, really funny word combinations.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:42:51 pm by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6409 on: July 13, 2013, 05:41:32 pm »

It is a special element with the previous (arena) system. But you shouldn't be able to do much more then control demonic objects.Why open rifts?

It wouldn't be an element in the new system and the green god should actually be opposed to zentol, the chaos god. If you absolutely must do something like that, either give him zentol resistance, some control over magic or have him slowly be corrupted every time he uses his control over it (maybe 8 uses for an eye to open?).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:43:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: July 13, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »

That could work, give him control at the cost of using the corruption system for his manipulation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: July 13, 2013, 05:51:56 pm »

And GreatWyrm, I'm not going to balance it by giving them freebies on magic.  Science is half the game!
Well, they all have the same chance of finding words by guesswork; freebies of some sort are really your only option left for balance.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6412 on: July 13, 2013, 05:56:12 pm »

Piecewise did give some freebies when he found it necessary or apropriate. He gave Noreeb when that human fought that crystal. And I got the magic word from those words Zentol gave Thrakor.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: July 13, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »

I meant balancing it with the other elements.

And why is everyone thinking it's at all related to the current Zentol?  Why should it be?

And if using it caused corruption, that would make it impossible to get to the immunity level anyways.

Lastly, I was going to allow him to open rifts, because it seems natural for the element.  Like fungus.  Angle could just grow fungus whenever.  I guess I could just have them need to use the word, but then nothing would happen with it for awhile, and frankly, I'd love him to summon a giant spider which starts eating people.  ...Which is sort of against balancing it, yes.

Also, Paris, those are pretty minor.  As we now know, noreeb is practically useless unless you want a sword to spawn directly in your hand- it still has a dex roll, and you can get that with just rothcaltal.  And the example of Toaster's Zentol was less being nice, more setting a trap so he'd maim himself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: July 13, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »

Elements aren't balanced. Sand will never equal steel will never equal arcane energy will never equal air...etc. Deal with it.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: July 13, 2013, 06:12:52 pm »

He can open rifts at will, but what comes out is completely random! Roll for a shape, go with what you get.

Then get a Will roll to see if they can control it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6416 on: July 13, 2013, 06:13:18 pm »

And Angle needed a seed for his fungi. He couldn't just grow it out of thin air. He went to the basement and cast the fungus word and grew some mushrooms. And mushroom, like flesh or plant has the ability to duplicate. Sand, stone, diamond, etc can't be grown. They can only be manipulated. Remember the diamond ship?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: July 13, 2013, 06:20:01 pm »

He can open rifts at will, but what comes out is completely random! Roll for a shape, go with what you get.

Then get a Will roll to see if they can control it.

I like this idea very much, thank you!

@GreatWyrm That's... a good point.  Although I disagree with air being the strongest, because you can't really make it sharp- at best you can launch it at a high velocity(And it's still weaker than steel in that case)- and it's pretty easy to turn yourself into something that doesn't need air.  Or blood.  And you can't make armor.

You can't even fly as well, other elements can make things that make you fly smooth, like a levitating gold throne.

And Angle needed a seed for his fungi. He couldn't just grow it out of thin air. He went to the basement and cast the fungus word and grew some mushrooms. And mushroom, like flesh or plant has the ability to duplicate. Sand, stone, diamond, etc can't be grown. They can only be manipulated. Remember the diamond ship?
Oh, I didn't realize he started with a seed.  I just remebered he went into the basemenf with nothing, and came out with an army of mushrooms.  And I thought he couldn't cast magic?

I wasn't saying other stuff could be multiplied either, I was just pointing out an exampld of something (I thought) could be spawned nearly at will.

How about I make it so creating a rift needs a high will roll, and take a few minutes so he can't do much in the same turn?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: July 13, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »

Yeah, the material must be present in order to be manipulated.

though I disagree with air being the strongest, because you can't really make it sharp- at best you can launch it at a high velocity(And it's still weaker than steel in that case)- and it's pretty easy to turn yourself into something that doesn't need air.  Or blood.  And you can't make armor.

You can't even fly as well, other elements can make things that make you fly smooth, like a levitating gold throne.
Actually since air is present everywhere it doesn't have to be summoned. You could rupture lungs from the inside, vacuum away all air from and area before rushing it back in as an implosion. Physical equipment would be impossible but air could be used to deny enemies a chance to attack through the use of severe wings, additionally, objects with enough surface area could be lifted and flown. This means that for flying contraptions, the user isn't even limited in elements, as long as it has enough solid surface area, a high enough will roll would lift it regardless of elemental composition.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: July 13, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »

Although I disagree with air being the strongest...
I said Arcane Energy =/= Air, not Arcane Energy < Air.
And, really, it depends on the level of control and your own creativity. And if something like the Manton Effect is in play...
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 435