Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: A Question on Pirating Games  (Read 16697 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Question on Pirating Games
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:07 pm »

If other companies DRM was as good as steam, I think steam would have been stuck sharing with other platforms like it. However, the other companies never went for that sort of thing, and so steam got a stranglehold on that market. Not really Valve's fault that other companies weren't intelligent enough to make something like that.

This is a good point, but I feel that the message is wrong. If we were prostitutes and publishers were pimps, this is like saying that since Daddy Valve beats us the least severely, we should all choose him as our pimp. It's a narrow view, and a justification for sticking with Steam that I feel is nonbeneficital to us, the consumers (er, or prostitutes... maybe not the best analogy). Acting like you're a prize that Valve has won through their feats will only lead to exploitation, and I feel many people who are in complete support of Steam are ultimately throwing away any meager power we do have as consumers.

Edit: Damn, where has this gone? Imma back out of this discussion, before a manifesto gets written.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »

If other companies DRM was as good as steam, I think steam would have been stuck sharing with other platforms like it. However, the other companies never went for that sort of thing, and so steam got a stranglehold on that market. Not really Valve's fault that other companies weren't intelligent enough to make something like that.

This is a good point, but I feel that the message is wrong. If we were prostitutes and publishers were pimps, this is like saying that since Daddy Valve beats us the least severely, we should all choose him as our pimp. It's a narrow view, and a justification for sticking with Steam that I feel is nonbeneficital to us, the consumers (er, or prostitutes... maybe not the best analogy). Acting like you're a prize that Valve has won through their feats will only lead to exploitation, and I feel many people who are in complete support of Steam are ultimately throwing away any meager power we do have as consumers.

Edit: Damn, where has this gone? Imma back out of this discussion, before a manifesto gets written.

It's like the Amazon E-Book argument, the fact that they can revoke your license at any time, etc.

I see where you are coming from, but is steam REALLY a bad thing? We still have consoles, and I'm pretty sure services like Steam and Origin are going to stick exclusively to PC. For now.
I need to put something interesting here.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »

With current tech media and software are natural Public Goods (Goods that you can't easily exclude people from using, and that aren't dininished by use. Lighthouses are a textbook example). The free market doesn't generally work for those.

Copyright is an artificial restriction attempting to make those goods non-Public again, but the easier it is naturally to access the good the uglier and more invasive enforcement becomes, but also the more profitable for the makers.
Customers are often willing to pay as much for an e-book as for the dead tree edition and there's no manufacturing cost - that's a gold mine. Even better if they're willing to buy beautifully illustrated versions at premium hardcover prices.
Shouldn't be surprising that we have very powerful intellectual property lobbies.

Intellectual property rights make sense as part of a multi-tiered approach to Public Goods. Extent and many practices to make them enforceable are distasteful though, and I often see piracy as preferable to endorsing the current system.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

I think Valve just understood their market better and at an earlier time than the companies that came after them. They had the time to refine their product, build up people's confidence that Digital Distribution was a real thing and increase the size of their catalog.

But they showed a lot of restraint and a real grasp of the concept of value-added too. They didn't go totally apeshit with their DRM and they didn't try some overhead pricing scheme. They added features without a ton of bloat that actually made the platform a thing you wanted to use and interact with instead of just click through to play your games.

Anyways, on topic, I pirated when I couldn't afford games or really needed a true look at it before buying....and I buy games now that I can afford them. I'll use a pirated copy if I don't have to put out any effort, but I don't go trolling torrent lists anymore like I used to. Which is probably good, as enforcement is at higher levels and now most ISPs are doing it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »

I often see piracy as preferable to endorsing the current system.

^ This. To me, it's not about what I can get for free. It's about changing an unfair system. By simply abiding by and using the system in place, I put my name behind it. It's sort of the old hippie argument, I'm just not expecting government handouts.  ;)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2012, 04:07:27 pm »

Eh, a lot of my concern is with what the future may hold, not really what they're doing now. I think the current model of large publishers supporting large games is going to die soon, at least on PC, but replacing it with a distribution monopoly isn't really an improvement.

K, NAO I'M DONE, back on topic we go!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »

I often see piracy as preferable to endorsing the current system.

^ This. To me, it's not about what I can get for free. It's about changing an unfair system. By simply abiding by and using the system in place, I put my name behind it. It's sort of the old hippie argument, I'm just not expecting government handouts.  ;)
I've heard this argument a dozen times before, and frankly I don't buy it. You're not going to be changing any established systems by not participating. You need to make life more difficult for the companies doing stuff that you don't want them to do. And no, sending angry emails doesn't really count. Boycotting might work, especially if done in real life. Direct people who buy games from those companies to information about their unsavory practices.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »

You may note the hippie movement didnt pan out.  ;)

Point is, I don't want my name on something I don't support, if I don't have to, and I don't want to buy   will not buy something for 60$ if I'm not damn sure I'll like it. Whether that pans out with your own philosophy is all of you's business.

As far as doing something practical to change the system, I agree that the only way to reach a business is to not buy from them, and convice others to do the same. Publishers will flat out refuse to understand any other form of communication that doesn't involve revenue. Sirus has the right of it.

::EDIT::
Also, I want to say I'm really enjoying this even-handed debate. Keep it up, everyone.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:37:13 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »

Eh, hippie movement at least made some strides. You'll note the whole "green food" movement that seems to stem from hippie culture.

But the way I see it, if you pirate a game to play it, you're still telling the developers of that game that you enjoy their products. Their response is to make more of the same stuff, while instituting more draconian measures to try and prevent more pirating. Eventually, you'll get to a point where it simply isn't worth the effort to pirate, and then what? Will you break down to buy the game, or go without? Either way, DRM technology will have grown hugely in that time frame.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2012, 04:43:01 pm »

About everyone who supports piracy seems to say they'd end up buying a game they enjoy for free already...  I don't believe it.

GirlinHat should put up a poll.  Id like to see figures on this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »

Seems a bit pointless to have a poll if you've already resigned yourself to accusing us of lying.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2012, 04:51:37 pm »

I mean about piracy, if you do it.

And I'm not accusing, simply expressing my concern betweem the percieved ideal and the real.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2012, 04:57:52 pm »

well, pirates are customers.
about every survey shows that these that pirate the most are usually also these that buy the most.
just dont expect people to buy every shit just because they ever tryed it once. that would be stupid.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:01:23 pm by motorbitch »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2012, 05:00:34 pm »

If developers were forced by law to release a demo of every game they make, and this demo was required to accurately reflect game content and feel of play, then dunamisdeos would be a happy man.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »

Some pirates are potential customers, but definitely not all.
I practically don't exist as a customer any more as I won't buy media burdened with DRM that isn't trivial to get around, unskippable ads/piracy warnings or anything else that'll cause me undue annoyance.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14