Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45

Author Topic: [3.5 D&D Maptools/IRC] A Duke's Final Mistake - Waiting List Only  (Read 41713 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 D&D Maptools/IRC] A Duke's Final Mistake - Waiting List Only
« Reply #555 on: February 25, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »

Shoruke. There is a max damage. Jump means I land well. Water means I land soft. 100 miles means I land fast. Now be quiet and stop trying to undo my natural 20 jump check.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 25, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »

Yes, but the max damage applies over many lengths. 528,000 feet and 527,990 feet will both get you 20d6.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 25, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »

Jump means I land well. Do you guys want me to die? Then please stop trying to have him roll more damage. The first ten feet I don't take damage from. It's not as in I slowed my fall initially, beause how the hack would Jump do that? It's that I jump in a way that I don't hurt myself (as much) on landing.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 25, 2013, 11:15:03 pm »

I'm not saying that I want your character to die, I'm just saying that it seems like a terrible plan to fall 100 miles into water without a parachute. Water isn't exactly made of pillows, and that's a damn long way. It's a bit late to talk you out of it, I guess.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:28 pm »

Do you guys want me to die? Then please stop trying to have him roll more damage.
"Please stop trying to follow the rules, I want my character to live despite literally being too dumb to not jump off a cliff"
...Is what I heard.

Jump means I land well.
It doesn't...

A jump check reduces fall damage by giving you some fraction of a second to get your legs under you and relax for impact, which lets you absorb the shock from a 10' fall (as opposed to bumping your head or bellyflopping or whatever), and makes you slightly less likely to skewer your heart with your shinbones if you make a 60' drop. But if you fall 210 feet, it doesn't matter how you started falling, you're gonna go splat and that's just how it goes. You have elected to fall 100 miles. You could only be considered "jumping" for the first couple feet of that; after that, you were not in control of your velocity.

Also, water hits you about as hard as concrete at terminal velocity...
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »

Frankly, I'm not even sure how to justify the action from the perspective of your character. Even people comfortable around heights would avoid actively diving off of a 100 mile cliff without a parachute. And because you did the math and the 'average force of impact' wouldn't kill you? That's some speedy calculation while raging, even while gazing through the fourth wall to look at your HP cap and the damage formula. It just seems really odd to me. I get the feeling this was a cleverly disguised suicide.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:22 pm »

200 feet is maximum velocity, thus, by your logic, that getting my feet under me still works.

Fom a character standpoint; he wanted the trophy, he didn't know how long the drop is. And he doesn't like waiting.

It's not 'don't follow the rules' it's 'stop trying to overrule the GM who said I will take x damage.'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2013, 10:39:52 pm »

On another note, as I dislike fighting with you guys, I have a requestion of Wrex. If Dorf does die(and there's a goodly chance he will in this fight, with how much damage he'll be taking), I was thinking of  making a rogue. A warforged rogue. Lawful Neutral, named Inquisitor. Thought it might be interesting.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »

Okay, so I put Skyrunner on doing some math for me in this, and read over the water impact rules. We're going to go with the 3d6 nonlethal and 17d6 straight up impact damage.

[23:53:40] <Sky> The dwarf hits the water at 88.88 m/s
[23:54:01] <Red``> Which is about 180 mph
[23:54:10] <Sky> He quickly slows down and drifts to 140 m depth for a duration of 4.7 seconds

So you'll end up roughly 460 feet under the water.

You're already building on a fatigue problem from the previous battle, and you'll have to make a dc 25 fort check on hitting the water to prevent becoming Exhausted. This is a complication from Hypothermia rules.

There is pressure damage at that depth, too, that has to be dealt with.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:30:37 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:35 pm »

...Dwarf barbarian. With Endurance. Making a fort save. This should be fun.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 27, 2013, 12:03:21 am »

I'll point out that making a natural twenty on every swim check still puts you at 250 feet deep when you run out of air. I should also mention that you would have to start a new rage, becoming exhausted at it's conclusion, if you wanted those HP's for when you hit the water. This is also ignoring pressure damage, temprature damage. and the boss himself.

The Odds are against you.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 27, 2013, 12:43:29 am »

I don't need to make nat twenties. I need to roll a 9( 12 once rage is finished) or better if the water is stormy, and the rest I can take ten on. I would go quite a bit farther than 210 feet in two minutes, even if Willfor decides that I can still only go 15 feet per round when swimming up and using my natural buoyancy. I would go about 300 feet, leaving me at 160 feet, 11 rounds to go, having to make constitution checks, which endurance applies to. I'm likely to fail if the GM goes with the fifteen foot speed still, as +9 is unlikely to make eleven checks, some of which are DC 20 and 21. Temperature(don't think there's actual temperature damage in this scenario) and pressure checks I get a fortitude save against, temperature at least I get my endurance bonus to(who knew the feat was actually fuckin' useful?), and honestly they're low enough only severe unluck would defeat me due to it.

What's really gonna fuck me though? The fall, I found, does a total of about 65 to 70 damage, from using invisible castle to test. Then, I have to fight the boss, after being fatigued and probably using up my rage. The boss is probably a third to fifth level barbarian. My consolation is that he might have taken similar damage to me, and isn't as tough, maybe not as strong, and probably also out of rage. I also have no piercing weapon save, like, an improvised one from my arrows assuming they haven't been lost. I can, however, take a deep breath, and grapple him, and say "Fuck you" to the people who say dwarves aren't good in water when he drowns first.

Another note, is that I'll not be hitting the water at 120. Dorf is trained to swim. He has ranks. He knows that when diving, if you hit wrong, bad things happen. He also knows that bad things are going to happen, period from this height. Having had around forty minutes of falling to experiment, he's probably figured out two thing, since he's not stupid. One, that he can use his axe and his beard to steer himself. And two, that he can spread his body to slow down, or tuck in to speed up. When he sees the water, he's going to spread out, and hit hard, like a bellyflop, but slower. Impact damage and possible exhaustion? Still apply. But, he will slow down and stop a lot faster. Probably a change from 140 to 80, maybe 70. That's about 260 feet for 80 meters.

All things considered, though, Wrex is right. Death is my likely forecast for this evening. And on the possible front, glory!

Seriously. CR 4 person. All to myself. The experience points are MINE. Or his, if I die, and he probably steals my axe. The fucker.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:51 am »

Apparently, she began her calculations under the impression that you would do just that to mitigate your fall.

[02:11:15] <Sky> (1) I already used his belly-splat surface area for the calculations.
[02:11:41] <Sky> (2) Drag is not linear. Even if you get x2 the surface area, you don't get 1/2 the fall distance
[02:12:27] <Sky> So no, 140 m is the /minimum:.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:36 am »

Even with the slower speed?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 27, 2013, 11:49:27 am »

The speed was calculated with you attempting to slow yourself down the whole fall.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45