Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45

Author Topic: [3.5 D&D Maptools/IRC] A Duke's Final Mistake - Waiting List Only  (Read 41717 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 D&D Maptools/IRC] A Duke's Final Mistake - Waiting List Only
« Reply #510 on: February 18, 2013, 01:27:46 am »

I was occupied today, so I wasn't there. I was there for the first half of the encounter though, so what sort of XP did I gain? Sorry for suddenly disappearing halfway through an encounter.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 18, 2013, 06:35:23 pm »

Mechanical stuff first:

We're switching over to a fiat based leveling system. Everyone is now level 4, and well on their way to becoming level 5.

The King is paying out quite a bit of a reward for taking down the Ants machines. 3,000 gp each. You'll all have a chance to spend it before the next session as well.

There will be some additional recaps of what went on in the session in a bit.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 18, 2013, 07:58:09 pm »

At level five, I'm buying Never Outnumbered. At level 6, Imperious Command if Will lets me, or Intimidating Rage. Maybe cleave instead.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:49 pm »

Do you mean we each get 3,000 gp for killing the ant mechs?
Or that each mech was worth 3,000 gp for killing it and we have to split 9kgp among us?
Also, gotta level up to 4 now. Mwehehe, nigh-unavoidable stat damage.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »

Do you mean we each get 3,000 gp for killing the ant mechs?
Or that each mech was worth 3,000 gp for killing it and we have to split 9kgp among us?
Also, gotta level up to 4 now. Mwehehe, nigh-unavoidable stat damage.
3k each, I think. Now, to figure out an animal companion...
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:22 pm »

Victory, thy name is Boots of Lion's Charge.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:23 pm »

GM, if I use the Black Fire mystery (Tome of Magic, pg 142) and create shadowy fire in several adjacent squares, will enemies have to make the reflex save against damage for every square they go through? It says it deals damage to creatures standing in an affected square at the start of each of our turns, and every time someone enters or passes through an affected square (unless they jump through it).

Also, how would this affect really big creatures who stand in more than one affected square? Could a Giant be forced to save or take damage 9 times, for instance?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 19, 2013, 12:05:10 am »

Personally? I think it would be one save, then either nine times the damage, or four times the damage. A large creature might take two times. A small might take half.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2013, 12:35:58 am »

EDIT: Nevermind, I read wrong. It does indeed effect for every single square in both cases.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:41:55 am by Willfor »
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »

I appended some flavor text onto my journal, in case anyone cares.

Now, what to spend my 5,100 moneys on...

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:56 pm »

Sorry for double posting, but I'd like to request access to some stuff from the Magic Item Compendium...

-Acrobat Boots (MIC 67) (900 gp, +2 tumble, spend charges/day for 1-round speed bonus)
-Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (MIC 75) (3,600 gp, take 10 on most athletic checks, take 20 1/day)
-Gloves of Fortunate Striking (MIC 105) (2,000 gp, reroll attack 1/day)
-Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC 122)(2,000 gp, immunity vs. darkvision)
-if the Ring of Piercing Spells (MIC 126) worked with all sneak attack prerequisites, I might get one... gives +2d6 damage to touch spells when flanking, 3/day, costs 2kgp

I also want to homebrew a weapon. Or a wondrous item. Or somesuch. I'll present it as a wondrous item here.

Battlecaster's Glove
Price: 800 gp (includes masterwork price)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: Default 5, but Highly Variable
Aura: Faint by default, variable
Activation: -
Weight: negligible

Faint blue lines trace along this black leather glove, from the fingertips to the wrist. When you wear it, you feel as though it pulses in time with your heartbeat.

A standard Battlecaster's Glove is essentially a costly piece of cloth. However, it can be enchanted with any effect that can normally be conferred on weapons, and can confer these enchantments on any melee touch attack, ranged touch attack, or unarmed strike its wearer makes.

Special: A Battlecaster's Glove does not confer any bonus to touch attacks from being masterwork, but does confer its magical enhancement bonus (i.e. a +1 Battlecaster's Glove grants +1 to its user's attack rolls with touch attacks, and causes them to do +1 damage).
Special: While the gloves can take on enchantments that specify either Melee or Ranged weapons, more specific effects cannot be applied. For instance, a Battlecaster's Glove cannot be given the Vorpal or Returning enchantments.
Special: The glove only affects spells that are cast when it is worn, and does not affect spells' durations. Thus, while enchantments like Dancing and Speed can be applied to a Battlecaster's Glove, they may be of limited use.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Magic Weapon
Cost to Create: 400 gp, 32 XP, 1 day.

From a balancing perspective, it's going to be powerful, but limited to a handful (pun unintended) of attacks every day; touch attacks are usually fairly devastating, and ignore most armor, but only come one at a time, and are then used up for the day. On the other hand, the glove can't be used with weapon attacks, and requires me to pay the same money that melee fighters pay (plus a small bit for using a costlier weapon), but I apply it only to a few attacks every day (unless I start fighting barehanded, doing 1d4 nonlethal damage) whereas fighters get to use their magical gear for every attack they make.

As for pricing, similar arguments. It's a unique and powerful weapon, and since its magical in nature it's likely to be a good bit costlier than a sword, but most of its actual price is going to come from the enchantments that get put on top of the base price. You could argue that one would also need Craft Magical Arms and Armour to make one, though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:53:42 pm by shoruke »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:52 am »

I'm going to accept all of this.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 22, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »

So much win  :D

We're switching over to a fiat based leveling system. Everyone is now level 4, and well on their way to becoming level 5.
Question is HOW well on our way?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

We'll get there once Will tells us we are :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:31 pm »

That sounds like something eldritch blast would like to make sweet sweet love to.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 45