Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45

Author Topic: [3.5 D&D Maptools/IRC] A Duke's Final Mistake - Waiting List Only  (Read 41679 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5 D&D Maptools/IRC] A Duke's Final Mistake - Accepting Submissions
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »

Oh God. Barbarossa want's to run chaos monk.

Do we need Bhu's particular brand of insanity here? :P

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »

I'm very RP, but due to my preference to strict rules in gaming and random, not predetermined outcomes to keep me on my feet, I'd like to play. I've observed Dnd games before, and I have the requisite materials. Would you accept a newbie? As well, I have an experienced Dnd playing friend I can ask questions of. I can be on every day.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:55:46 pm by Urist_McDrowner »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:53 pm »

Okay, the Ozodrin is overpowered. Besides the part that I can't find Deepspawn in the feats, if you compare it to the druid, which is really the closest class with the wild shape ability, it's extremely overpowered. Consider how Monks and Druids and prestige classes based around subtypes are. You aren't considered that subtype/type until you reach 20th level for a base class, and 10th for a prestige. Which means an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 15th level, as 6th level is the level when most people can become a prestige class. As an ozodrin, you can become an aberration at 10th. It allows for some extreme min-maxing, can change their abilities AT WILL, have an immensely larger stomach(SQUARED, time 2. at 20th level, that's 800 small creatures, 200 med, 50 large, 12 huge, or three gargantuan. A medium creature holding three purple worms in it's stomach.). The person making it cared too much about 'dead levels'(look at most classes. There's a lot of dead levels, spellcasters or not!), and so made them overpowered to compensate. Inhuman Vision is not a flaw, it's an aberrant feat, http://www.scribd.com/doc/101050585/274/Inhuman-Vision-Aberrant. I like the idea of an ozodrin, but they're flawed. If the DM's fine with all this, sweet. I have a fellow LG member in the party. If not, then I'd still like to play with you...just not with that class.

Edit: Oh and menacing demeanor is class level not character level.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:28:48 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 11:33:38 pm »

Wat.

If you think that is overpowered, I shudder to think what a Properly optimised caster would do to your concept of the game.

Also monk is terrible.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 12:01:13 am »

Oh, and then there's the part where he should have a penalty to his attack roles from wielding them both at once. That may have just been something he forgot to put in though.

The biggest issue with casters is that a monk(who typically have GREAT saves) can usually take them down pretty easily; once you're in close, a mage without some good concentration goes out like a light. But against everyone else they kick ass. It's just the combination of good saves, high move speed, and high damage/# of attacks that can destroy them. Once you get time stop you're pretty much unstoppable though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 12:05:17 am »

Okay, the Ozodrin is overpowered. Besides the part that I can't find Deepspawn in the feats, if you compare it to the druid, which is really the closest class with the wild shape ability, it's extremely overpowered. Consider how Monks and Druids and prestige classes based around subtypes are. You aren't considered that subtype/type until you reach 20th level for a base class, and 10th for a prestige. Which means an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 15th level, as 6th level is the level when most people can become a prestige class. As an ozodrin, you can become an aberration at 10th. It allows for some extreme min-maxing, can change their abilities AT WILL, have an immensely larger stomach(SQUARED, time 2. at 20th level, that's 800 small creatures, 200 med, 50 large, 12 huge, or three gargantuan. A medium creature holding three purple worms in it's stomach.). The person making it cared too much about 'dead levels'(look at most classes. There's a lot of dead levels, spellcasters or not!), and so made them overpowered to compensate. Inhuman Vision is not a flaw, it's an aberrant feat, http://www.scribd.com/doc/101050585/274/Inhuman-Vision-Aberrant. I like the idea of an ozodrin, but they're flawed. If the DM's fine with all this, sweet. I have a fellow LG member in the party. If not, then I'd still like to play with you...just not with that class.

Edit: Oh and menacing demeanor is class level not character level.

1. Wild shape is instant, but the ozodrin's shaping isn't. You can change your [CHA mod + Ozodrin levels] worth of features as a full-round action. That's a tentacle and an eye right now. I hardly see where you're coming from on that one.

2. To use the stomach on a living creature you must first eat them, which means grappling and succeeding more than once in a row. In the meantime the enemies can attack you while you're denied a dex bonus. Even the person you're grappling can attack you. It's hardy an issue that your stomach is damn well huge, because chances are that you won't run into that issue unless you're eating dragons or something ridiculous like that, which I probably won't be able to by the time the campaign ends.

3. Inhuman Vision is the feat I took when I took on a flaw, which is why it's in the FEAT area. The flaw is lower, and in the FLAW box.

4. I've seen prestige classes that open up at as low as level 4. Prestige classes can be better or worse, but they always have some kind of a trade off. I lose a lot of grappling abilities if I step away from Ozodrin. It's clear that I'm not going to be able to fill my stomach like that or grapple dragons successfully. The prestige class I intended to take was Righteous Horror, which I wanted for its natural armor, and the ability to shape weapon and shield arms. I basically wanted to play as a multiarmed paladin monster.

5. My character was originally a second level Ozodrin. I changed the skill bonus allocation, but I clearly missed changing the features list.

I'm not even going to touch the whole Ozodrin being a druid/monk thing. That's all kinds of wrong.

NINJA'D EDIT: 6. That's if I only use that one weapon. I apply penalties when I need to, such as full-attacks, but not in the total attack bonus box.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:11 am »

Hmmmm...Okay. Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Just looked overpowered from the table, with how many abilities it gets...it's similar to a cleric in BAB and saves, but they only get spells(but they get spells).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:46 am »

I'm only going to respond to the monk thing. Because how is your monk getting anywhere close to my caster? That will be a mistake against a CoDzilla, and impossible against a wizard. Sure, the monk has good saves, a movement bonus, and unarmed attack progression. That's really about it. A Cleric, Druid, Wizard, or Archivist (Heroes of Horror) is going to be better than any other character in the game.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 12:19:10 am »

Hmmmm...Okay. Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Just looked overpowered from the table, with how many abilities it gets...it's similar to a cleric in BAB and saves, but they only get spells(but they get spells).

It's alright. Most homebrew assumes that you're looking for something more on balance with wizards without dipping into prestige classes, so dead levels tend to be lost in favor of features. I actually pick homebrew to stop myself from min/maxing, because I can get caught up in the flavor of it and it's something I haven't used before. If I pick a core class I end up min/maxing it to hell and back. I had a wizard that did 180 damage of a random element at level 12, and I could do that 6 times before dropping down to 120 damage. Trust me, it's better that I stick to homebrew. :P

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:02 am »

I'm only going to respond to the monk thing. Because how is your monk getting anywhere close to my caster? That will be a mistake against a CoDzilla, and impossible against a wizard. Sure, the monk has good saves, a movement bonus, and unarmed attack progression. That's really about it. A Cleric, Druid, Wizard, or Archivist (Heroes of Horror) is going to be better than any other character in the game.
Hell, a properly optimized Truenamer could use Fog from the Void and immobilize said monk, proceeding to (slowly; remember it's a Truenamer.) wear them away from afar. Because it doesn't matter how much fast movement you have if you're limited to 5'/round.

Speaking of which, I was thinking about doing a homebrew Truenamer/Crusader class for the hell of it. I think I can pull it off with just basic truenaming so long as the Paragnostic Assembly exists. It's almost required for all Truenamers to be a member so they can get the extra truename bonuses for dumping points into knowledge skills. I don't think I'd need to knock down the Truenaming at all (because duh), but I would likely reduce the HD size and number of learned maneuvers. Asides from that idea, I'm probably sticking with the Chaos Monk. I'll draw up a chart in the morning.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »

Level
BAB
Fort
Save
Ref
Save
Will
Save
Lexicon of the Evolving Mind
Lexicon of the Crafted Tool
Lexicon of the Perfected Map
Maneuvers
Known
Maneuvers
Readied
Stances
Known
Special
Level 01
      +0
   +2 
+0
+2
-
-
4(2)
Known Personal Truename, Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5, Divine Revelation +1
Level 02
      +1
   +3 
+0
+3
-
-
4(2)
Knowledge Focus, Indomitable Soul
Level 03
      +2
   +3 
+1
+3
-
-
4(2)
Zealous Surge, Divine Revelation +2
Level 04
      +3
   +4 
+1
+4
-
4(2)
Steely Resolve 10
Level 05
      +3
   +4 
+1
+4
-
4(2)
--
Level 06
      +4
   +5 
+2
+5
-
4(2)
Truename Research, Divine Revelation +3
Level 07
      +5
   +5 
+2
+5
-
4(2)
Knowledge Focus
Level 08
      +6/+1
   +6 
+2
+6
4(2)
Bonus Recitation Feat, Steely Resolve 15
Level 09
      +6/+1
   +6 
+3
+6
4(2)
Divine Revelation +4
Level 10
      +7/+2
   +7 
+3
+7
5(2)
Knowledge Focus,  Mettle
Level 11
      +8/+3
   +7 
+3
+7
5(2)
--
Level 12
      +9/+4
   +8 
+4
+8
5(2)
Steely Resolve 20, Divine Revelation +5
Level 13
      +9/+4
   +8 
+4
+8
5(2)
Speak unto the Masses
Level 14
      +10/+5
   +9 
+4
+9
5(2)
Knowledge Focus
Level 15
      +11/+6/+1
   +9 
+5
+9
5(2)
Bonus recitation feat, Martial Truenamer, Divine Revelation +6
Level 16
      +12/+7/+2
   +10 
+5
+10
5(2)
Steely Resolve 25
Level 17
      +12/+7/+2
   +10 
+5
+10
5(2)
Speak unto the masses
Level 18
      +13/+8/+3
   +11 
+6
+11
5(2)
Divine Revelation +7
Level 19
      +14/+9/+4
   +11 
+6
+11
5(2)
--
Level 20
      +15/+10/+5
   +12 
+6
+12
6(3)
Perfect Dialect, Steely Resolve 30

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level): Balance, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Perform(Oratory), Knowledge(all skills, taken individually), Martial Lore, Ride, Truespeak, Use Magic Device.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: As a Wordknight, you are proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, and all shields.

Maneuvers: You begin your career with knowledge of five martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, and White Raven. Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by Wordknights is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered Wordknight level after that (6th, 8th, 10th, and so on), you can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. In effect, you lose the old maneuver in exchange for the new one. You can choose a new maneuver of any level you like, as long as you observe your restriction on the highest-level maneuvers you know; you need not replace the old maneuver with a maneuver of the same level. For example, upon reaching 10th level, you could trade in a single 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd- or 4th-level maneuver for a maneuver of 5th level or lower, as long as you meet the prerequisite of the new maneuver. You can swap only a single maneuver at any given level.

Maneuvers Readied: You can ready all four maneuvers you know at 1st level, but as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you must choose which maneuvers to ready. You ready maneuvers by praying for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to pray again and change them. You need not sleep or rest for any long period of time in order to ready your maneuvers; any time you spend 5 minutes in prayer, you can change your readied maneuvers. You begin an encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times you might have already used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter, so each of your readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (unless you recover them, as described below). Wordknights are unique among martial adepts, relying on flashes of divine inspiration to use their martial maneuvers. As such, you do not control access to your readied maneuvers. Before you take your first action in an encounter, two of your readied maneuvers (randomly determined) are granted to you. The rest of your readied maneuvers are withheld, currently inaccessible. At the end of each turn, one previously withheld maneuver (again, randomly determined) is granted to you, and thus becomes accessible for your next turn and subsequent turns. You can freely choose to initiate any maneuver that is currently granted when your turn begins, but you cannot initiate a withheld maneuver. If you choose not to employ a maneuver in a given round, your currently granted maneuvers remain available, and a previously withheld maneuver is granted, as described above. In other words, it doesn’t matter if you use your maneuvers or not—at the end of each of your turns, one withheld maneuver from your selection of readied maneuvers is granted to you. Over the course of a few rounds, all your maneuvers will eventually be granted. If, at the end of your turn, you cannot be granted a maneuver because you have no withheld maneuvers remaining, you recover all expended maneuvers, and a new pair of readied maneuvers is granted to you. Randomly determine which of your maneuvers are granted and which are withheld. At the end of your next turn, a withheld maneuver is granted to you, and the whole process of divine inspiration begins again. You begin an encounter with an additional granted maneuver at 10th level, and again at 20th level.

Stances Known:You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, or White Raven discipline. At 2nd, 8th, and 14th level, you can choose an additional stance. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times, and you can change the stance you currently use as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated in the stance description. Unlike with maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Known Personal Truename: You know your own personal truename. You cannot pronounce it automatically; doing so requires a Truespeak check with a DC equal to 15 + (2 × your Hit Dice) + 2. Because it’s your personal truename, you get a +4 bonus on the Truespeak check.

Utterances (Sp): You have the ability to speak utterances, powerful combinations of truenames that can alter the world around you in fundamental ways. Utterances exist in three lexicons: The Lexicon of the Evolving Mind, the Lexicon of the Crafted Tool, and the Lexicon of the Perfected Map. You begin play knowing one utterance from the 1st level of the Lexicon of the Evolving Mind, and you gain one utterance from this lexicon at each Wordknight level you attain. When you gain access to higher-level utterances, you can choose an utterance from that level or from a lower level, if you wish. Each utterance represents hundreds of truenames in your repertoire. When you gain the word of bolstering, for example, you say thanthan’ku’ul-hrasechni when you’re delivering it on your elf ranger ally and  yanu-shankrini’qalaasha when you’re delivering it on your gnome rogue friend. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your utterances is 10 + 1/2 your Wordknight level + your Cha modifier. Beginning at 4th level, you also gain access to the 1st-level utterances of the Lexicon of the Crafted Tool, allowing you to alter objects with your truenames. You gain access to higher-level utterances from this lexicon at 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th levels. Beginning at 8th level, you gain access to the 1st-level utterances of the Lexicon of the Perfected Map, allowing you to alter places with your truenames. You gain access to higher-level utterances from this lexicon at 12th, 16th, and 20th levels.

Steely Resolve (Ex): Your supreme dedication and intense focus allow you to temporarily set aside the pain and hindering effects of injuries. When an opponent strikes you, the injury does not immediately affect you. You have a delayed damage pool that allows you to forestall the effects of many injuries. This pool begins at 0 with each encounter. When you are attacked, any hit point damage the blow deals is added to your delayed damage pool. At the end of your next turn, you take damage equal to the total stored in your delayed damage pool, which then resets to 0. Any healing you receive can either increase your current hit point total as normal or reduce the total damage in your delayed damage pool. When you receive healing, you choose whether it affects your damage pool, your hit points, or both (you can split the amount of healing as you wish). Most Wordknights opt to keep as much damage in their delayed damage pool as possible to maximize the benefit of their furious counterstrike ability (see below). Special effects tied to an attack, such as energy drain, stun, and so forth, still affect you as normal, and their effects are not delayed by this ability. For example, if you are bitten by a venomous spider, you must still attempt a Fortitude save against the poison immediately, even though the bite damage shifts into your delayed damage pool. By the same token, any other special attack that imposes a condition, such as a medusa’s petrifying gaze, takes immediate effect on you. At 1st level, your delayed damage pool can hold up to 5 points of damage. Any damage beyond that comes off your hit points as normal. The maximum damage your pool holds increases by 5 at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level.

Furious Counterstrike (Ex): You can channel the pain of your injuries into a boiling rage that lets you lash out at your enemies with renewed vigor and power. Each attack that strikes you only pushes you onward to greater glory. During your turn, you gain a bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls equal to the current value of your delayed damage pool (see steely resolve, above) divided by 5, and rounding down (minimum +1). You can only gain a maximum bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls of +6 from furious counterstrike. Use the table to quickly determine the attack bonus and damage bonus from furious counterstrike, based on the amount of damage in your delayed damage pool. This ability’s benefits last until the end of your turn.

Knowledge Focus (Ex): As a Wordknight, you spend a great deal of time studying the world around you in an effort to learn new truenames. At the levels indicated, you gain a permanent +3 bonus on a Knowledge skill of your choice. Each time you gain this ability, you can apply it to a different Knowledge skill, or to the same Knowledge skill, if you want to focus on a particular area of expertise.

Indomitable Soul (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, you draw upon the power of your unwavering faith to steel yourself against the enemies you face. Your personality, energy, and dedication to your faith make it possible for you to shrug off attacks that target your willpower. You add your Charisma bonus (if any) as a bonus on Will saves. This bonus does not stack with that from a paladin’s divine grace ability.

Zealous Surge (Ex): Your boundless energy and dedication to your cause allow you to throw off the effect of a special attack, spell, or other attack that would otherwise hinder or harm you. Once per day, from 3rd level on, you can opt to reroll a single saving throw. You must abide by the result of the new, second saving throw, even if it is lower than the first. This ability does not require an action. You simply decide to use it after seeing the result of your saving throw roll but before the DM tells you if it fails or succeeds.

Truename Research: At 6th level, you gain Truename Research as a bonus feat. Bonus Recitation Feat: By repeating your own personal truename over and over with a particular inflection, you can achieve various healing effects starting at 8th level. Choose one recitation feat from those given later in the chapter. You must still meet the prerequisites for the bonus feat to take it. At 15th level, you gain a second bonus recitation feat.

Mettle (Ex): You can resist magical attacks with greater effectiveness than other warriors. Beginning at 10th level, by drawing on your boundless energy and dedication to your cause, you can shrug off effects that would hinder even the toughest warrior. If you succeed on a Fortitude or Will save against an attack that would normally produce a lesser effect on a successful save (such as a spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), you instead negate the effect. You do not gain the benefit of mettle when you are unconscious or sleeping.

Speak unto the Masses (Su): At 13th level, you have the ability to affect a number of creatures of the same creature type with a single, powerful utterance. You can only affect creatures of the same type (humanoids, giants, or dragons, for example) with a single use of this ability, although you could use it against a different group of a different creature type each round. No two of the creatures you wish to affect with your utterance can be more than 30 feet apart, and the base DC for your Truespeak check is equal to the most powerful (highest CR or most Hit Dice, if you are affecting PCs) creature in the group. For each creature you wish to affect with the utterance beyond the first, the DC of your Truespeak check increases by 2. The Law of Resistance applies to utterances altered with speak unto the masses.

Martial Truenamer (Ex): At 15th level you can make a single strike as a standard action. If this strike succeeds, you may immediately use an utterance you know, with a +10 bonus on the Truespeak check involved to speak it

Perfect Dialect (Ex): At 20th level, you may take 10 on Truespeak checks. This is an exception to the rule that you can never take 10 on Truespeak checks, and does not mean that other classes can learn to take 10 on Truespeak checks through other class features such as Skill Mastery.

It's a somewhat weakened gestalt Truenamer/Crusader for the most part, under the working title "Wordknight". I changed a few abilities somewhat, moved them around, or replaced them. Some of them are taken from various Truenamer fixes. (Mainly that of Kellus.) It still needs a little bit more balancing and reflavoring. Thoughts?

EDIT: Somehow lost Divine Revelation's description somewhere along the way. Here it is.

Divine Revelation (Ex): Your patron deity occasionally grants you insight into the words comprising your foes. At level 1 this is a +1 bonus to Truespeak checks made against foes that do not share your alignment. This bonus increases at level 3 and every 3 levels thereafter. (6, 9, and so on.) In addition, you may treat Truespeak as a charisma based skill.

EDITED: Grammar
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:29:17 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

I just play don't min-max to that degree. Speaking of which, I'm changing my character a bit still. Trying to make him a proper meatshield.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 08:35:07 pm »

I do believe I will make a fine meatshield, what with being composed of steel and having an AC that would make Regdar cry.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »

I do believe I will make a fine meatshield, what with being composed of steel and having an AC that would make Regdar cry.

Cry tears of black liquid sorrow.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:38 pm »

What rules for construct are you using? How do you not have a level adjustment, and are somehow using divine weapons at level 2? As well, the reason, my tank is meatshieldy is because he can heal himself. By a lot. Up to 26 healing in three rounds if everything goes well. Even if it doesn't, I still heal 5 every three rounds, automatically, plus Martial Stance and Crusader's Strike.

I just realized your shield gives you +4 bonus to AC. That's a joke char, right?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45