Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fort Full of Heroes  (Read 2546 times)

Fort Full of Heroes
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:39:53 pm »

So, I just got a crazy idea. Instead of just having a couple groups of guards to take car of things, I'm just going to force everyone in the fort to train and wear armor all the time. That way, if anything happens and someone can't get to the safety of a barrow, they can at least hold their own and maybe even win.

Imagine: Entire fort full of Legendary Hammers. :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Full of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:45:47 pm »

More like a fort full of novice hammermen. There's less experience for each person if everyone is a military person.

Also, a lot of people just start conscripting migrants into the militia anyway :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »

seven peeps deep below in a self-sustaining fort, the rest of the pop army... i like!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:29 pm »

That sounds like an awesome idea, but there's a hidden catch: tantrum spirals will be so much worse. With the entire population armed, a single tantrum could cost you dozens of dwarves.

However, their armour might mitigate that somewhat. Let us know how it goes, I'm really curious.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

all but 7.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »

Give everyone a crossbow, quiver, and set of bolts. Don't enable training.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »

Give everyone a candy greataxe, no armor.
And order a few people to dig lava channels after they become friends with everyone.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:17:32 pm »

Give everyone wooden weapons and bone/shell armor. Send them out against all the wildlife. Even the Giant Boars.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:37:19 pm »

then put them in modded in powersuits and arm them with pulse rifles. then evict the demons from hell. and live there.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:44:13 pm »

Give all the dwarves guns that shoot really, really hot saw blades.
And give them armor made out of....
Really, really hot chains!
Name them the Red Army!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 02:02:56 am »

Give all the dwarves guns that shoot really, really hot saw blades.
And give them armor made out of....
Really, really hot chains!
Name them the Red Army!

Then invaid the nearest elf town and shoot their trees to the ground!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 04:23:09 am »

here i thought you where going to make an army of adventures and retier them all in your home city so they would come to your fort then have THAT be your army,

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:16 am »

That sounds like an awesome idea, but there's a hidden catch: tantrum spirals will be so much worse. With the entire population armed, a single tantrum could cost you dozens of dwarves.

However, their armour might mitigate that somewhat. Let us know how it goes, I'm really curious.
On the other hand, your entire population will be heavily armored and skilled in defending themselves. Just make dwarves who are unhappy equip a training weapon that they're not proficient in, and your other dwarves will block every shot.

I tend to run my forts like this- a few people keeping everyone alive and equipped, then everyone else stabs things. 10 crossbows and 30 melee soldiers took out hell, but it did take some 20 years of training.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 09:28:34 am »

On the other hand, your entire population will be heavily armored and skilled in defending themselves. Just make dwarves who are unhappy equip a training weapon that they're not proficient in, and your other dwarves will block every shot.

I tend to run my forts like this- a few people keeping everyone alive and equipped, then everyone else stabs things. 10 crossbows and 30 melee soldiers took out hell, but it did take some 20 years of training.
Plus dwarves in military training tend to become less familiar with each other and more hardened anyway, which makes tantrum spiral rare in first place.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 11:10:13 am »

I've been doing this for a while; casualties are at an all time low after five years of training and combat, 5 Dwarves have become legendary weapon lords and everyone is ecstatic or else cares for nothing.
Of note however is that everyone gets Grand Bedrooms; because the event of a military cascade is too terrifying to fathom. Also it's absolutely delighting to see a goblin ambush a couple of farmers, only for said farmers to smash the ever loving teef out of the gobbos.

It's feasible, but the early days of the Fort will be spent trying to arm and armour your Dwarves. The result will be you often first only rely on your best armoured Dwarves, who become more experienced and skilled than the other Dwarves. This in turn results in a disparity between the skill of the earliest arriving migrants and the fresh off the caravan ones. Of course, this gap decreases after any significant of time, but the useful overseer can turn these unmagmad potash makers into the farming heroes that your elite soldiers so sorely need, and once they in turn become weapon lords, new potash makers can fill the auxiliary ranks.
Pages: [1] 2 3