Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12613 times)

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2012, 03:28:45 am »

German friend showed me it and guided me through the matrix that is ASCII.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2012, 04:35:46 am »

I actually believe I saw it in some "Best Indie Games" list on the internet ages ago.

skezixx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:35 pm »

After many many hors of Net hack got bored with it so i googled  rouge like games .
We must raise money. DF needed a legal defense fund eventually anyway. Concerned parents will find us eventually.

Shadowsandfire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2013, 09:32:53 pm »

Surprisingly, Reddit. Under the title "Best games Ever" or something like that. Was not Disappointed. After the 12 hours of tutorial, but still.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:49 am »

I found out from a friend at work. I kept telling him about all the Paradox games I play so he set about trying to find something hard for me to play. Then I taught HIM how to do many things he hadn't even thought up. MWA HA HA!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2013, 09:00:05 pm »

For me it's because of Three Panel Soul

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:14 pm »

Boatmurdered. Can't even remember when. I also wish Tim Denee did nothing for a living except make Dwarf Fortress comics. I bought Peter Tyson's (TinyPirate) book and was not disappointed.

I got in for the awesome. I stayed because DF isn't a game, it's a world simulator, and I find that incredible.

I won't lie - part of me also loves that most people who play it can't hang and give up. In a post long ago I said DF players are like the marines of the gaming world (The few. The proud).

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:52 pm »

I was searching for an old game from my childhood, Hack101 (aka Nethack). Somehow I stumbled across DF and read an article about somebody building a working computer inside a computer game. WHAT!?

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2013, 02:55:56 am »

It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:38 am »

IIRC in some less than related thread on RPG.net there was a post referencing the 2nd or 3rd Three Panel Soul DF strip, which I didn't get, & subsequently someone mentioned Dwarfputing projects which led me to the After Action Reporter tutorial & 40d.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »

I'm not alone in saying Jefmajor. It had to be the story of Bengal Hairybasements that got me in, and his glorious adventures.  :D
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

yugy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »

TV Tropes and then Boatmurdered. It sounded so awesome:

So the merchants arrive to see blood and vomit everywhere, us hauling corpses en masse to the graveyard, a couple rampaging elephants.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BOATMURDERED!
Hope you like miasma!

I've started project 'Fuck The World,' a top secret attempt to funnel magma to the outside. I'll kill those elephants. I'll kill all those fucking elephants.

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2013, 01:02:40 am »

I found it by googling the term "Dwarf fortresses" trying to find examples of grand entrances in the sides of mountains to build in minecraft.

I was looking for something along the lines of Al Khazneh. All i found was examples of 2D DF ;D

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2013, 02:20:36 am »

TV Tropes is littered with DF examples, many of which I found intriguing. So I looked it up.

And then I spent way too much time poring over the DF wiki, fascinated with the level of detail present in the game. It was around this time that I started to think "Man, I need to try this."

I'm the sort of person who studies things extensively before I try them, unless they come on the recommendation of a friend. As the final stage of checking out DF before I downloaded it, I searched Youtube for any fortress mode gameplay, found Jefmajor's 40d series, then in progress. It sealed the deal.

I never did lose my first fort - it still lives in a folder for whenever I feel like trashing goblins like it's 2009 >:]
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2013, 02:54:36 am »

I saw an article in "Games for Windows" (wish I still had it) that showed Tarn and Zach playing Go, with a giant backdrop of the world in ASCII.  My Rogue/Nethack/Angband roots suddenly woke up and got excited at the sheer ambition of this wonderful game.
Here is a link to some scans: http://www.tigsource.com/2007/06/29/games-for-windows-magazine-dwarf-fortress/

I remember seeing the download page with the new "3D" version but it was recommended on the very same page to STAY AWAY FROM IT so I started on 2D.  I actually did not get good enough at 2D to even get to the Magma or Candy.  I was really clueless and my biggest success was making a floodgate farm and plenty of booze, just before a band of goblins came and wiped me out.  Lots of cave-ins in those days, as well, which is something I kind of miss.

The forgiving nature of farming in 3D really allowed my fortresses to survive more than a couple years.  Hee hee!
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11