Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12620 times)

TresCom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2013, 04:13:56 am »

was going to download ww1 medic on bay12games and i saw DwarfFortress, so i downloaded it..
"Onward, warriors of the Monolith. Avenge your fallen brothers. Blessed, as they are in their eternal union with the Monolith. Bring death to those who spurn the holy power of the Monolith."

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2013, 05:03:33 pm »

Probably was first exposed to it by three panel soul but never really had a desire to explore it.  Then rediscovered it while reading the tvtropes article on minecraft.  It took a while to get over the ASCII stuff, but when you read some of the stories that people have created with this game like Boatmurdered, it really makes you want to try it.

as a funny aside I began playing dwarf fortress a wee bit before I got Skyrim and there is a quest in Skyrim involving miasma.  My first thought: oh, great. Giant billowing clouds of vision obscuring stuff coming off of rotting corpses. 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »

I was surfing around on the Let's Play Archives and found Boatmurdered. I thought to myself "Huh, never heard of this game before."

I saw the graphics and decided to give reading the LP a pass. Then, about a month later, after reinstalling an old game and deciding prettiness wasn't everything, I rediscovered Boatmurdered and read it. By about the turn with the crazy guy cursing at everything, I had downloaded the latest version and the rest, as they say, is legends mode. That one LP is probably the single greatest source of advertisement Toady could hope for.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

EnderCrypt

• Bay Watcher
  • who needs sleep anyways?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2013, 03:36:54 am »

i discovered it by randomly searching for rts games and similar, found a page with it, failed to play it, now.. like.. 4 years latter i re-remembered it :)
first time playing dwarf fortress: ‎‎
16th ‎november ‎2012, 00:52:00

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2013, 01:41:34 pm »

Saw it in a list of best free games, read boatmurdered, watched jefmajor's lets plays, then downloaded. That was just over a year ago.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2013, 09:08:27 am »

Am I the only one who found it through Desura?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:03 am »

Er... I don't even know what Desura is.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:06 pm »

Er... I don't even know what Desura is.
Well time to get googling then!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »

I found Dwarf Fortress via Boatmurdered and tvtropes.  Tvtropes lead to Boatmurdered, and while I didn't pick up Dwarf Fortress immediately, that's what ultimately got me to try it out.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

kääpiö

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2013, 12:23:14 am »

I was reading some magazine that had game reviews in it when I was going to Lapland. Saw DF there, got here, downloaded, wtf is this?, read Tinypirates tutorial, understood still nothing, didn't play. Was bored, thought about games to play, remembered DF, had fun.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2013, 03:46:10 am »

Cracked.com and the Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain.  I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42702.msg790500#msg790500
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2013, 09:40:32 am »

I heard of it via the minecraft wiki, it says the games that inspired notch to make minecraft. But i never downloaded it untill my friend Dorfmangler showed me gameplay and how to play.
Instantly fell in love

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »

TvTropes here too, when I was looking for freeware games.

I still remember my first game (didn't look at the wiki).
I was so overwhelmed by options. Somehow I found out how to chop trees before I found out how to mine.
I had a small wooden village built with everyone complaining of no food and no booze.
Then I found out how to move up and down z-levels.
And then I realized that I had embarked on a flat plain and the reason I couldn't mine was that the dirt was under my feet.
Needless to say that fort didn't last past summer. (Even after learning how to mine, I couldn't figure out channelling or how to build a still or kitchen.)

Ah good times.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2013, 11:27:43 pm »

I found Dwarf Fortress from Davidr64yt on youtube, someone mentioned Dwarf Fortress, and being bored I looked it up, and was amazed. I started playing back in 2011, and joined the forums a few months ago. From there, I found Jefmajor on youtube, Grimith and other awesome people, such as all of you and all your creativity. I love this place, and I love dwarf fortress.
Hey! Someone else who watches him!

Anyways, I actually found Dwarf Fortress from. . .

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/DwarfFortress?from=Main.DwarfFortress

Yes! The place! With the TABS!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:52 am »

Am I the only one who found it through Desura?
Am I the only one who found it through wikipedia?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11