Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dungeon Keeper-esque gamemode?  (Read 3961 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Dungeon Keeper-esque gamemode?
« on: November 22, 2012, 03:31:00 pm »

You all know this - the Dungeon Keeper let you take over the "bad guy", build yer own dungeon, keep it full with minions and keep the "goodies" (ie. heroes) away.
It effectively combines both the building and management of Fortress mode and controlling your (anti)hero as in Adventurer mode.

We technically even have almost all the needed requirements for such a mode to happen:
- embarking (well, I don't think we'd need the entire preparation thing, though) - just choosing which dungeon/ruin one'd like to reclaim
- management of units (minions/dorfs) and gathering resources
- migrants (gobs?) and invasions (holy knights in shiny armor and whatnot)

Hell, we even have necromancy, traps and all things, except for everything being combined.
And although I personally would love to be able to play Abaal-Abaddon in his imp form, I think that demons twisted into human form would make a good replacement for that...

This is just a very rough, bare and pale suggestion, but hey - we don't have enough opportunities to be the devils in gaming lately. (DK, Overlord, Evil Genius, upcoming Impire and that's it)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Keeper-esque gamemode?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »

That might be pretty good suggestion for future versions where NPC adventurers are more fleshed out and non-dwarven sites can be taken over :D

I think it'd be more fitting for goblin or necromancer civs to do such thing, though, and they do tend to either have something desirable ( slabs or slaves ) or just being evil/annoying enough for everyone to point at them for money. Or possibly a megabeast site with their slave/followers around whenever that's implemented.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

No doubt we will be able to start up an evil dwarven civilization at some point and ally with the goblins, especially once diplomacy and military get more complicated in dwarf mode.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »

That effectively already exists: you can build a dungeon, and npc's try to steal your stuff and artifacts. It's just not as focused on the theme.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

I'd like to see this as something to happen to normal fortresses rather than its own mode.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:16:16 am »

Toady has mentioned playing as humans in the past and even dragons. Being able to play a bunch of goblins lead by a demon forging their own evil fortress could be a lot of fun. Once the world is more active adventurers should try and rescue the kidnapped children and assassinate the demon.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:54 am »

I think that we are not so far from what you describe.
However, we still lack :

- Flying as an adventurer. (If you want to play a creature which is flying)
- Special capacity of some creatures (fire breathing)
- Take better into account the weigth and strength of creatures (as well as charging)
- At last, the greatest part : AI adventurers who will chase you, track you, recruit people to kill you. Not just random people wandering, but people who will want to get revenge because you killed their mother/father/wife/children.

Perhaps next year ! But it would be fantastic to play as a demon, a dragon, or just randomly enter in the mind of a female tiger or a giant mamba to play it for a while. (like a spell allowed us to do in Dungeon keeper...)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:52:40 am »

I think that we are not so far from what you describe.
However, we still lack :

- Flying as an adventurer. (If you want to play a creature which is flying)
Present, if you play as a flying creature. Try using < and >.

- Special capacity of some creatures (fire breathing)
Check the 'i'nteractions menu of your dragon adventurer some time. Sadly, it doesn't seem that kills via dragonfire are tracked...

- Take better into account the weigth and strength of creatures (as well as charging)
Not sure about this.

- At last, the greatest part : AI adventurers who will chase you, track you, recruit people to kill you. Not just random people wandering, but people who will want to get revenge because you killed their mother/father/wife/children.
Agreed.

Perhaps next year ! But it would be fantastic to play as a demon, a dragon, or just randomly enter in the mind of a female tiger or a giant mamba to play it for a while. (like a spell allowed us to do in Dungeon keeper...)
Sounds Fun.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:38 am »

I tried in arena as a dragon to breathe fire, actually you can, with "x" "special ability", but never reached to fly with it either (i thought that < > was used to look above but not actually to FLY)

About weigth and strength, it's already done of course, if as an elephant you collide with a dwarf, you stun him. But I just thougth that IF we were about to play as big creatures, it could be better shaped.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:10:00 am by Inarius »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

No, < and > are for going up stairs and flying.
Dragons don't fly for whatever reason, try a bird.
Sig

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:41 am »

Dragons don't fly for whatever reason, try a bird.
If I remember correctly it's because the fire breathing comes from the 2D version and didn't gel well with flying.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Garrosh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:57 am »

Maybe Toady will be able to do something about that since projectiles have trajectories. I'd really see fire-breath as a liquid projectile. I think it fixes some of the interaction problems with flying, but still doesn't solve how the dragons should aim...

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:29:37 pm »

Given how slowly adventure mode seems to move, I'm not sure you'd really want to control your 'keeper' that way most of the time.

It seems like what would make this work would be the ability to have an 'overseer' character in fortress mode that you give extra-specific orders to, but who still moves like fortress mode. Having multi-[CREATURE] entities and being able to choose starting [CASTE]s would be nice too, as would being able to define permitted jobs on a per-[CREATURE] or per-[CASTE] basis.

Making a functional 'Dungeon Dweller' [ENTITY] and making heroes wander up is almost certainly within the reach of a sufficiently determined modder.

EDIT: It looks like such a mod might already exist.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »

If you add in a few more hostile civilizations that is pretty much how fortress mode turns out. In my current game I created multiple copies of hostile civilizations, to the point where I'm under siege pretty much continually by endless swarms of invading armies.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »

I think this sort of thing is basically planned for when we're able to become night trolls and such.
Pages: [1] 2