Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf likes what?!  (Read 3936 times)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf likes what?!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »

I recently looked at the statues in my fort. The central one in dwarves' dining hall was a masterful marble statue of a dwarf embracing naked mole dog.
My first thought: so that's why they eat at stockpile so often!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:04 pm »

I once had a dwarf that simultaneously detested and preferred to eat snails.

djsmiley2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Milk Me
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 04:47:27 am »

I did get a dwarf that liked elves, but he got killed by zombies five seconds after he arrived. (It was a terrifying tundra).

I've also gotten one that liked both slade and raw candy, and made him the baron just because of that.
Ah yes, this will be fun when he starts turning out mandates :)
This is Dwarf Fortress, everything has a fetish for socks.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:41 am »

I did get a dwarf that liked elves, but he got killed by zombies five seconds after he arrived. (It was a terrifying tundra).

I've also gotten one that liked both slade and raw candy, and made him the baron just because of that.
Ah yes, this will be fun when he starts turning out mandates :)
Sadly, material-based mandates are no more. How I miss all those demands for native aluminium...
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:17 am »

Yeah, it's not often, probably because there're just so many animals in general, and dwarves don't seems to generally have likes for things they've not encountered ( that or I misses out a lot of stuffs in long-term fortress, I know traders brings all kind of craps in ).

Anyhoo, I suppose this is all related to - as AutomataKittay pointed out upthread - dwarves developing preferences for things they've encountered.

The game has been that way for a LONG time - even back in the old 2D versions, Dwarves were generated with inactive preferences for things you've never seen before, and those preferences got "activated" once the thing in question showed up on your map (i.e. the first time a pack of wolves shows up on the map, some dwarves might suddenly "decide" that they like them, and dwarves wouldn't claim to like Electrum until the Dungeon Master arrived and allowed you to start making it).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:22:18 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:02:50 am »

The game has been that way for a LONG time - even back in the old 2D versions, Dwarves were generated with inactive preferences for things you've never seen before, and those preferences got "activated" once the thing in question showed up on your map (i.e. the first time a pack of wolves shows up on the map, some dwarves might suddenly "decide" that they like them, and dwarves wouldn't claim to like Electrum until the Dungeon Master arrived and allowed you to start making it).

But some preferences are randomly generated when a dwarf enters the map, right? I ask because a) I had a king once who liked gutter cruor, which didn't physically exist in that world (pocket world with only an evil ocean) and b) I know you can "savescum" to get a no-mandate/no-item preference King, his preferences will be different on every re-load.

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 11:03:09 am »

That's really cool. I sadly hadn't heard of the game prior to more recent versions, so I missed the Dungeon Master fun, among other things. Of course many of the old posts I read through on the forums seem to indicate I'm lucky for that, haha.

I wonder... this would mean that preferences can change in the middle of a fortress mode game in our current version, right? Does it only happen when a dwarf encounters something new to them, or can it happen anytime with anything, as long as they're currently being exposed to it? Would existing preferences ever disappear, being superseded by new ones, or is it all additive? Maybe new preferences being added rather than replaced would explain a dwarf who liked and detested the same creature, now that I think of it.

Kaitlyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:35 am »

I have a dwarf who likes humans as well. Which is odd since I've also modded humans to be babysnatchers and thieves... The only one I've seen though was a weretortoise.

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 12:10:10 pm »

If a military dwarf who likes humans ends up killing some during a human siege, does it give him a happy or a sad thought?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »

Likes Humans for their blood. 0.o
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 12:32:57 pm »

I once had a dwarf that simultaneously detested and preferred to eat snails.
Ha-HA, fuck you snails. *Slrp*
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 [2]