Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf likes what?!  (Read 3933 times)

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf likes what?!
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:16 am »

I pay way too much attention to my dwarves. I dutifully note their likes and dislikes, outfitting their bedrooms with whatever favorite items and creatures I can find. I would still consider myself a novice, so I don't know how common this is, but I'd certainly never seen it in a few hundred dwarves...

This dwarf likes humans. Because they're tall.  :D

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf likes what?!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:02 am »

:D

Yeah, it's not often, probably because there're just so many animals in general, and dwarves don't seems to generally have likes for things they've not encountered ( that or I misses out a lot of stuffs in long-term fortress, I know traders brings all kind of craps in ).

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:09:07 am »

Well. At least it isn't elves. Eitherway, you now have a Geonaut candidate. Build it a house over a magma tube, then send it off on it's journey.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:55:23 am »

Tell that dwarf I said thanks, and that I like dwarfs because they're short.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:27 am »

Let's hope he just likes them, and doesn't "LIKE" them.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:12:52 am »

Just beware of jumping banana slugs!  ;D

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:25:19 am »

One of mine likes white fiends for their bloated appearance.

That's racist!!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:35 am »

I did get a dwarf that liked elves, but he got killed by zombies five seconds after he arrived. (It was a terrifying tundra).

I've also gotten one that liked both slade and raw candy, and made him the baron just because of that.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »

I had one who liked bogeyman for their terrifying antics. I think I had him killed.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »

The more amusing ones are the ones who like vermin like rats, if you let them engrave or make statues they will create statues and pictures of rats. The problem with that is that many dwarves dislike one type of vermin and since there are few types of vermin its very likely that you will get many bad thoughts because of those statues/engravings.

Ive heard that a statue of a rat inside a room owned by noble who hates rats will actually decrease the percieved value for the room by that nobleman, although I havent verified it myself.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:06 am »

I noticed something else recently regarding dwarven preferences; tweaking world generation parameters can have an affect on what kinds of things your dwarves like. How neat!

I generated a world with significantly higher evil and savagery overall, along with way too many titans, megabeasts, curses, and evil weather. Out of my first 16 dwarves, 8 had an evil favorite creature (three loved Bogeymen, the rest were fond of Ribbon Worm Fiends, Green Devourers, Hags Of Evil, Horned Horrors, and Monsters Of The Night, respectively). One had a savage favorite (Mosquito Men), and the rest either had no creature preference or were the normal geese, reindeer, and so forth. That's much, much higher than the usually observed rate of preferring evil creatures and things.

Incidentally, there was also a higher incidence of preferring plants, food, and drink from evil/savage biome crops (whip vine/silver barb), as well as general trends in the bone/leather favorites too.

I've also noticed that none of my immigrants so far have had pre-existing kill lists at all. It's very early in the game, however, so this may not really be a trend. It just makes me think that I inadvertently made a world that has been ruthlessly kicking everyone's ass before I even showed up, haha.

Anyhoo, I suppose this is all related to - as AutomataKittay pointed out upthread - dwarves developing preferences for things they've encountered. Apparently instead of running in fear the dwarves in my world think, "Oooh, neat, look at the tentacles on that one!"

This game is fascinating.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:07:25 am »

Reminds me of a rather disturbing baby that liked elves and strawberry wine, was tall and thin and blond hair with shaved sideburns.Those sneaky little caravans always seem to mix their sneaky little elven spores where they  are not wanted.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:21 am »

Let's hope he just likes them, and doesn't "LIKE" them.
Dwarven ideas of what to do with things you like aren't the same as ours. He probably thinks that if they weren't sapient, they'd be good to eat. So I wouldn't worry.

Yee

• Bay Watcher
  • Invasion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 05:25:13 am »

Reminds me of a rather disturbing baby that liked elves and strawberry wine, was tall and thin and blond hair with shaved sideburns.Those sneaky little caravans always seem to mix their sneaky little elven spores where they  are not wanted.

Make him a wood cutter later and see if he throws up or even commits suicide after killing one of his precious trees.

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:39 pm »

Sounds like Urist McOblvious' wife was meeting the elven caravans to check out their wood.
Pages: [1] 2