Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have a crush on a friend of mine. help.  (Read 1415 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
I have a crush on a friend of mine. help.
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:17:03 am »

Hey guys, I need advice.
Until recently I considered myself straight, yet irritatingly I have developed an infatuation with a close male friend of mine. If it weren't for certain family members I would have likely confessed to him of my feelings, however, I have several conservative family members (who I love dearly) and doing so would likely cause alienation. Now, this fellow is rather effeminate and there is a chance that he is homosexual but it is still unlikely. My feelings are so messed up right now, please help me.
Still in school by the way, so having my father dislike me so would be uncomfortable and unfortunate.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: I have a crush on a friend of mine. help.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:52:40 am »

IMO there's no such thing as 100% straight, it's more of a continuous scale through all the sexualities. Strangely, that idea seems to offend conservative people.

Good luck mate.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:23:42 pm »

Oh ho ho, this will be fun.

First and foremost: your friend needs to know of your crush. Tell him, and see if he reciprocates. If he does, may you have a fun and interesting secret relationship :) If not, then no harm done; take rejection maturely and move on.
EDIT: Oh and don't worry about being awkward. If he's a good friend, he'll understand no matter how much you stumble and stutter, and won't dislike you even if he's not gay.

Secondly, if this isn't a once-in-a-blue-moon thing, you're going to have to tell your family you're bisexual/gay one of these days. It can be now, it can be later. However, earlier is generally better; the only real reason to put it off is if you're afraid they're going to send you off to a gay reeducation camp or something.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:27:16 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »

Honesty and openness dude.  It might cause grief now if you're unlucky, but it'd probably cause a lot more in a year or two.

Good luck :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:51:30 pm »

Thanks guys, really. Your reassurances are very comforting, and your advice sound, Thanks.  :)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:35:24 am »

I would caution you against coming out while your still economically dependant on your family. Whether you should or not depends on how conservative in the question you think they are... You shouldn't risk getting thrown out or anything like that over it.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:51:40 am »

That's pretty rare, scriver, especially nowadays. But yeah, he knows his parents best; if they'd take it very badly (like, go so far as to abuse you in some fashion, including heavy ridicule), keep it secret for now.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 05:00:51 am »

I doubt that they would go to such extremes to be honest, but until it becomes a significant factor of my life, I doubt I will disclose the information to them. My mother wouldn't care neither would my older brother but my younger brother and father would likely be less accommodating.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »

Hold his hand. If he slaps it back, you know you're not his type.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:25 pm »

Do not just grab his hand as Muz suggests, because if he slaps it away, that just means he's being creeped out by people grabbing his hand without permission. :p

But yeah... might want to gauge his interest first. If he's actually strongly opposed to 'that sort of thing' (either homosexual-like activity in general or with you specifically, 'cause you're like friends and stuff), you don't want to mess it up by telling him you like him and then not having him reciprocate. That always ruins a friendship. So, same rules as if it was a female friend; gauge interest before saying something you can't take back. Some people are good with handling 'people liking me', others, not so much. Best know with at least a little accuracy which he is beforehand.

(ps kinda wish I'd had a boy-crush. I like the *idea* of a fling with a guy, it just falls to pieces whenever I meet one. They're just so... bleh. Even the nice ones. Probably doesn't help that I grew up in the bogan capital of Australia, it probably subtly affected my perception of males when I was young, or something. I'm really a bit of a misandrist nowdays, despite not overly wanting to be.)
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:19:04 am »

Do not just grab his hand as Muz suggests, because if he slaps it away, that just means he's being creeped out by people grabbing his hand without permission. :p

But yeah... might want to gauge his interest first. If he's actually strongly opposed to 'that sort of thing' (either homosexual-like activity in general or with you specifically, 'cause you're like friends and stuff), you don't want to mess it up by telling him you like him and then not having him reciprocate. That always ruins a friendship. So, same rules as if it was a female friend; gauge interest before saying something you can't take back. Some people are good with handling 'people liking me', others, not so much. Best know with at least a little accuracy which he is beforehand.

(ps kinda wish I'd had a boy-crush. I like the *idea* of a fling with a guy, it just falls to pieces whenever I meet one. They're just so... bleh. Even the nice ones. Probably doesn't help that I grew up in the bogan capital of Australia, it probably subtly affected my perception of males when I was young, or something. I'm really a bit of a misandrist nowdays, despite not overly wanting to be.)
I don't know we are pretty bogan where I live too...
Anyway I likely wouldn't even befriend someone intolerant of race, gender or sexuality. Told him by the way, got a no, but he said he would keep it under his hat and things are no where near as awkward as I feared.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:53 am »

Aah, well that's excellent. I'm glad it worked out allright :)

...and I'm sure my bogans beat yours. My hometown has the distinction of having the highest per-capita teen pregnancy rate in Australia! Yaay! :p (Well... outside of the completely ignored Aboriginal communities, who most people seem to beleive aren't actually in Australia or something. I imagine some of those incredibly poor regional ones probably beat us on a per-capita rating, but there just aren't any government services around to record the births. So we have the crown when compared to the mainstream westerners! Yeah!)
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 12:48:23 am »

Do you happen to live in the New England do you?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 01:10:08 am »

Told him by the way, got a no, but he said he would keep it under his hat and things are no where near as awkward as I feared.
Ah well not as good as it could've been. :( But at least things turned out okay. Hopefully you'll find another nice guy/gal to woo~

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 03:06:26 am »

Nah, I'm in Hobart currently. Grew up in a town called Burnie, which is apparently smack-bang in the centre of the Tasmanian bible belt, and mostly revolves around mining, forestry or a single large call centre. My partner moved to Burnie as a social worker because her studies on the ABS website told her that it had the highest teen pregnancy rate in Aus at the time, and so she figured it'd never run out of positions for social workers :p
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: [1] 2