Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are space robot!  (Read 1086 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
You are space robot!
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:42:06 am »

You are a space robot on a space mission to save the !!MOON COLONY!! that got !!STRUCK!! by a !!METEOR!!
However, your spaceship caught on !!FIRE!! and CRASHED 20 kilometers away from the poor suffering people at the !!FLAMING HELL OF DEBRIS!!

What will you DO?!?!?!?!?!?!?

>
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are space robot!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:27:43 am »

Use Logic!

FIRE NEEDS OXYGEN. OXYGEN NEEDS ATMOSPHERE. THERE IS NO ATMOSPHERE IN SPACE. I AM IN SPACE. THERE CANNOT BE A FIRE.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:04:46 am »

It's spacefire silly.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:36:30 pm »

It's spacefire silly.
Exactly. You know, this is space, IN SPACE! So its actually really special space spacefire!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 04:02:48 pm »

Since no one has submitted any suggestions, I suggest:

Contact the moon colony via radio. Inform them of our location and status. Ask for a pickup. If they are unable to do so, or do not respond, consult mission profile and determine what shipboard cargo is crucial to the mission and attempt to recover it from the crash.

If we are the important cargo, or we are able to carry it, and no pickup is expected, start walking/rolling.

Related:

1) What is the mission? What exactly are we supposed to do? "Save the colony" is a bit vague. Save it how? From what?
2) What is our physical configuration and capabilities? Are we a humanoid-ish robot? Are we superstrong? Are we a rover? Are we able to think in billions of cycles per second? Do we have thrusters/wheels/legs/etc? Do we have onboard lasers/welders/fire extinguishers/etc? What are we?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

PUT THE SPACEFIRE ON A PLANET TO EXTINGUISH IT

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

...personally I just assumed the fire was inside the ship. If it's a standard ship...you know, intended for use by humans...it would be rather strange to expect them to vacuum pump it before launch.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:13:19 pm »

The colony is also on fire. It's more strange that we aren't on fire. Space robots are usually flammable, but then, this is space fire. Space fire does not work like regular flame does. On a side note, that's why we want to put it on a planet.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 07:01:14 pm »

I had a suggestion: Make the fire vanish in a puff of logic.
It didn't work, though.

Right now...Mine. Search for ice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:49 am »

Since no one has submitted any suggestions, I suggest:

Contact the moon colony via radio. Inform them of our location and status. Ask for a pickup. If they are unable to do so, or do not respond, consult mission profile and determine what shipboard cargo is crucial to the mission and attempt to recover it from the crash.

If we are the important cargo, or we are able to carry it, and no pickup is expected, start walking/rolling.

Related:

1) What is the mission? What exactly are we supposed to do? "Save the colony" is a bit vague. Save it how? From what?
2) What is our physical configuration and capabilities? Are we a humanoid-ish robot? Are we superstrong? Are we a rover? Are we able to think in billions of cycles per second? Do we have thrusters/wheels/legs/etc? Do we have onboard lasers/welders/fire extinguishers/etc? What are we?

If you read the OP properly, wich you proably did but missed it out not blaming you. You would see that the moon colony was struck by a meteor.
And you are the usual lazory slightly larger than a human being bulky-but-humanoid robot, equipped with an intergrated toolset with all sorts of things you would need when repairing things, your model is usually used on Orbital Drydocks when repairing, building and salvaging ships, you have been modified to also be capable of giving first aid to human beings, obviously you are capable of helping other robots too.
Oh and you have this awesome jumpjet.

You attempt to contact the moon colony, you pick up a vague signal, it sounds like a human voice but you cannot make anything out of it, it sounds like the human being is in agony.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 12:06:26 pm »

Jet-jump to base!
Try not to explode!
Sig

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »

If you read the OP properly, wich you proably did but missed it out not blaming you. You
would see that the moon colony was struck by a meteor.

Right, but "struck by a meteor" doesn't give much indication what we're supposed to do about it. or example, if the power generation facilities were destroyed and our ship was carrying a replacement fusion generator so the colony can generate power to continue recycling air before everyone asphyxiates...then it would be important for us to remove that generator from the ship and find a way to get it to the colony.

But from your description, I guess we're basically a repair robot, and we are the important cargo.

You attempt to contact the moon colony, you pick up a vague signal, it sounds like a human voice but you cannot make anything out of it, it sounds like the human being is in agony.

Ok. Us not hearing them doesn't mean they can't hear us. Inform them of our location and that our ship crashed, but we are undamaged and en route. Repeat the message twice in case their reception is poor.

Oh and you have this awesome jumpjet.

Then get hopping.

A human can run 30 km/hr pretty comfortably, and we don't get tired. But since we're on the moon, with one sixth earth gravity and almost no air friction, we should be able to "run" with a hopping stride with a good 10+ foot crest and dozens to a hundred feet between steps. Add in the jumpjets...and I don't see this trip taking more than 5 minutes tops. Be sure to take suitable deceleration measures so we don't crash into the colony at hundreds of km/hr.

Attempt to contact the colony again at 15, 10 and 5 kilometers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 12:15:59 pm »

I assume you mean either that a human can sprint up to 30 km/h, or you left out "on the moon." Other than that, I agree with you.
Sig

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »

I assume you mean either that a human can sprint up to 30 km/h, or you left out "on the moon." Other than that, I agree with you.

No. I mean "a human can run at the rate of 30 km/hr, on earth." Which is true, and if you happen to have never clocked yourself or had high school PE for some reason, a simple google search will confirm this. As opposed to "a human can 30 kilometers in one hour."

Hence immediately following "A human can run 30 km/hr pretty comfortably" with "and we don't get tired." Any of us can probably run at 30 km/hr. We just wouldn't be able to do it for 20 kilometers. A robot would not have that restriction.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

30 km/hour for a little while, I'll buy that.
Sig