Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Hot springs  (Read 4150 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Hot springs
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »

The world exists before history. By that logic, our world is maybe 5-6,000 years old. Since most races start with metalsmithing and writing and such, it would probably be closer to say that's like saying our world is only 2,500 years old, tops.
There's metamorphic and sedimentary rock. Two years, or two thousand years, isn't enough for much more than igneous.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 06:01:24 pm »

I was always under the impression that the gods created everything exactly how it was at year 0. Year 0 is the beginning of the universe, and somehow creatures start as they are and rocks exist and such.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »

There's a lot of creatures from "a time before time." Also, each human, dwarven, and goblin civ has its own pantheon, which doesn't affect anything but its worshippers. It wouldn't surprise me to discover that the world started before worldgen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »

Really? I've never seen a creature with that on it? Not being sarcastic, either.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »

Check Legends Mode. Any megabeast, semimegabeast?, titan, or demon will note that it was wandering somewhere in a time before time.
Sig

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2012, 10:48:28 pm »

In regards to the original post, I think it's a fantastic idea, particularly for glacier regions. I'd love to see this added to the game, personally. You sold me on the idea of deep hot springs, down to the magma.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 04:44:45 pm »

I was always under the impression that the gods created everything exactly how it was at year 0. Year 0 is the beginning of the universe, and somehow creatures start as they are and rocks exist and such.
And "long dead gods' death sites" can be found that were ancient even while the world is 'new'?

Some smartalec Young Dwarfworld Creationist will probably claim from inconstancies in the distribution of pitchblende deposits[1] that history is not as long as some of the Deep Time believers think it is, of course...

[1] For my current Adventurer, one of the places he's visited is an entire abandoned castle made of the stuff.  I don't know if that's why it's abandoned except for some kangaroos.  Mind you, as the some of the kangaroos were to be found at the top of one of its towers... well... that poses an interesting solution to the question "Where have all the original occupants gone, and why are there now loads and loads of kangaroos in their place?". ;)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 04:57:40 pm »

They're made from random minerals. Castles can be made of NATIVE PLATINUM.
So yeah, not too odd.
Sig

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »

Oh, I'm not complaining. And it's definitely pretty.  Didn't hang around out too long, though.

(Wasn't even a mission site, just slept there.  Hmm... must check how many and what kind of limbs I now have. ;))

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:34 pm »

And "long dead gods' death sites" can be found that were ancient even while the world is 'new'?

Some smartalec Young Dwarfworld Creationist will probably claim from inconstancies in the distribution of pitchblende deposits[1] that history is not as long as some of the Deep Time believers think it is, of course...

[1] For my current Adventurer, one of the places he's visited is an entire abandoned castle made of the stuff.  I don't know if that's why it's abandoned except for some kangaroos.  Mind you, as the some of the kangaroos were to be found at the top of one of its towers... well... that poses an interesting solution to the question "Where have all the original occupants gone, and why are there now loads and loads of kangaroos in their place?". ;)
The radon mutated them into kangaroos because that's how radiation works
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2013, 08:17:58 am »

The radon mutated them into kangaroos because that's how radiation works
Actually, the inhabitants probably died a grisly death from starvation or a civilization which can't take fortresses conquering them, so the game spawned some wild animals in the fortress. Which happened to be kangaroos.
Sig

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2013, 10:46:09 am »

The world exists before history. By that logic, our world is maybe 5-6,000 years old. Since most races start with metalsmithing and writing and such, it would probably be closer to say that's like saying our world is only 2,500 years old, tops.
There's metamorphic and sedimentary rock. Two years, or two thousand years, isn't enough for much more than igneous.
Well we do have recorded history in before that in the fact that we know when the dinosaurs and stuff happened but your right in the fact that we don't know specifics in what happened.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2013, 01:39:49 pm »

Well we do have recorded history in before that in the fact that we know when the dinosaurs and stuff happened but your right in the fact that we don't know specifics in what happened.
Well, dwarves don't have paleontology. So...yeah. We have a world much older than our written and civilized history, let alone organized civilized recorded history. We can't assume that DF!worlds started in Year 1.
Sig

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:46 am »

Solubility could replace the aquifer tag as well. Any soluble layer could in theory hold an aquifer, the higher it's solubility the faster it pours water out.  Additionally, it could also mark certain inorganic materials as being unfit for liquid storage without adding any additional tags.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »

Solubility could replace the aquifer tag as well. Any soluble layer could in theory hold an aquifer, the higher it's solubility the faster it pours water out.  Additionally, it could also mark certain inorganic materials as being unfit for liquid storage without adding any additional tags.
Might you mean "porosity"?

Solubility would be a different[1] quality and give a different purpose, especially in the formation of caverns[2] and the like, with flows of water (current or historic) removing an amount of soluble rock (at a rate determined by the degrees that the rock has this quality) until saturated with the mineral.  (Also consider deposition of this solute, with stalactites and stalagmites and joined-up pairs in columns.)

Porousness (don't we already have a 'drainage' value of some kind?[3]) would allow water to escape at a given rate through a rock layer (perhaps down to a soluble layer, there to carve away disconnected voids) from the surface or any other place where water is present (away from a limestone cave?[4]), and of course allow it to bubble upwards from deep-water heated reservoirs.  Both water and the rock being unchanged during transit (barring any soluble components, intrusions or other neighbouring strata encountered along the way).  To bring us back to the OP, somewhat. ;)

[1] Potentially independent, so that you could have high or low solubility rocks having (prior to being dissolved, in the latter case) high or low porousness.

[2] The current caverns don't seem to have any geological 'guidance' applied to their formation, but a brute-force overlay across whatever strata there just happens to be in their defined areas of incidence.  Which is not to say that traditionally eroded/silt-scoured caverns could not also exist, as well as man(/dwarf)-assisted caverns, perhaps following veins of now long-extracted minerals.  Worldgen (and embark-tile loading, on demand) could be rather complicated if trying to emulate/store/procedurally-recreate all the myriad possible processes, though...

[3] Though I've not done enough comparable worldgens/site-findings to work out exactly how this affects a site.  Perhaps it encourages dry sandy deserts over clay-floored plains, all other qualities else being equal or left unconsidered.

[4]  ...and I must check to see if limestone-rich waters intersticially deposit minerals into subsequent porous rocks, because that'd be an interesting 'metamorphosis' of a rock-type.  Been ages since I did any practical geology, though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6