Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Hot springs  (Read 4153 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Re: Hot springs
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 11:47:49 pm »

The image that the title of this thread gave me has thus far made this the first suggestion thread that made me say "What the fuck?" out loud. Nevertheless I could see hot springs and geysers being implemented if Toady wished to implement such a thing. I personally wouldn't mind it.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 09:33:23 am »

I got a good chuckle from this title.  leaving a fort
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:24 am »

One makes you hypothermic from bathing in it and one is pleasant to bathe in...seriously, use your head.
I meant gameplay wise. As it is, dwarves' settlements don't need heating. Perhaps washin oneself with warm water would give positive thought.
Yes. It would be a good excuse to make temperature affect happiness - a dwarf wearing a XXpig tail loinclothXX outside in winter would get miserable, wading through a near-freezing pond is also bad, etc.

Even better make temperature affect health. Illnesses + many possible treatments = fun.
I know -extreme cold- degrades clothing and causes frostbite, because of a series of increasingly disastrous creature tests I once did (oh no, my flaming creature keeps melting its non-flaming minions! let's make the non-flaming minions absolute zero so they don't melt! oh wait, they're giving the flaming master creature frostbite!). Diverse illnesses for cold would be better, though! Cold could eventually cause hypothermia, and being too cold for too long could weaken your immune system (when we get real colds and diseases), and going for a swim and then out on the tundra would lead to "Urist McLuxuriousbeard's beard is frozen solid", making it likely to snap off.
+1

Most elf descriptions, not exactly sure about DFs, include an affinity for magic in them, for the pointy eared tree huggers.  Maybe the elfs could turn the spring into a magic fountain for unwary visitors to sip from.  Gain Hill Giant strength.  Or toss on undead, to turn them away.

I like Goomba's idea about tectonic plates during worldgen.  There is a lake in Russia, that is getting deeper and deeper, as the plates gradually move apart.  An inch a month or so, I believe I read somewhere.  Could have been the coastline increasing.  Cannot remember, its in a query for deepest lakes on earth.  This represented during worldgen, could improve the marshes and swamplands, considerably.  It would brings a whole new meaning to the idea of quicksand.  Or tar pit.  I can see these developing as a result of the inclusion of tectonics.

I also like how certain entities must require them to setup a foundation for civilization growth.  I cannot see a merfolk civ lasting very long without a warm spring, especially in the winter months.
Elves could have purity magic but it depends on Toady's magic implementation. I think everyone should have more belief-based magic: anything from the forest is a great spiritual focus for elves, but only because they believe in the power of the forest (so nobody else has to use cheesy elven +feather wood amulets+ to cast magic missile, especially because they probably all sport cheesy slogans like "4:20 EVERY DAY".), so hot spring water is "powerfully magic". I'd also like "apathetic" or "skeptical" individuals to have a much harder time with magic, because they don't really think it's possible. (Dwarves would believe in complicated rituals, runes and reagents, humans would probably be the stereotypical book mages, goblins would probably need blood for their spells, kobolds would arrange stolen -gabbro mugs- into powerful magic circles that gain power the more crap is put into them...)

For tectonics, we could just have erosion take place in worldgen and start from there. Mountains wear down over time, eventually (after a LONG time!! geology is slow). Volcanoes gradually spread and solidify, so a new volcano springs up next to the old one as the old volcano eventually solidifies shut and collapses. Mountains will rise and crumble in more volcanic regions, which could "move" around (in real life it's the plates that move over the mostly stationary regions, but that requires real plates). It's hard to implement but adding a bit of erosion and a bit more excitement is exciting. And forget that lake (Lake Baikal? I only know one Russian lake), Iceland is where it's at. When I went there, we visited Žingvellir, which is one of the many places in the country on the geological boundary between North America and Europe. There's a trench filled with water that runs through almost the entire country where the plates move, I tossed 10 kronur into it. I expect they have to rebuild the bridges over it every few centuries, word is that the country grows as fast as your fingernails.

And yes, I'd like to see civs get less static about expansion and maybe have more types of small settlement - hamlets are pretty boring. Rivers are more safe to expand in, but towns should grow from little outposts and the survival chance of that outpost should depend on the savagery, nearby lairs, temperature (desert civ makes tundra outpost, entire expedition found dead with tongues stuck to flagpoles), and more (food availability, proximity to hostile sites...). It should be a challenge, so that the entire map with savagery below x on rivers doesn't fill up with hamlets upon hamlets.
I got a good chuckle from this title.  leaving a fort
I don't get it
My wooden badge was delicious.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »

Did your wish come true?  10 kronur

Another aspect of tectonics that might be included in DF, is deep gaping gorges, created by fissures, and earthquakes.  There needs to be something to spill those hot springs and cause a regionwide fire.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 11:43:46 am »

Yeah, but that's more of a "Tectonics Thread" thing.

I've been thinking of making another magic thread, though, except it would combine "industrial magic" from the uranium thread which people seemed to like and race-based belief magic from here. Hmm.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »

What about bath salts and herbs? Maybe the plants and herbs that are gathered could be used to create special mixes that, once added to a "hot bath", gave a more that happy thought? Maybe nobles could demand to have a private hot bath "tub" in their quarters and a private supply of bath salts.

I think that the dissolved minerals from rocks could count as bath salts, pleasant or unpleasant.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 12:30:13 am »

Most elf descriptions, not exactly sure about DFs, include an affinity for magic in them, for the pointy eared tree huggers.  Maybe the elfs could turn the spring into a magic fountain for unwary visitors to sip from.  Gain Hill Giant strength.  Or toss on undead, to turn them away.
Why just elves?

I like Goomba's idea about tectonic plates during worldgen.  There is a lake in Russia, that is getting deeper and deeper, as the plates gradually move apart.  An inch a month or so, I believe I read somewhere.  Could have been the coastline increasing.  Cannot remember, its in a query for deepest lakes on earth.  This represented during worldgen, could improve the marshes and swamplands, considerably.  It would brings a whole new meaning to the idea of quicksand.  Or tar pit.  I can see these developing as a result of the inclusion of tectonics.
Most of the time, plates move a few inches per YEAR. This would mean that, over a 1,050-year worldgen, plates moved under 40 feet. Even at that absurd rate, that one feature would move by maybe half a region tile by the end of worldgen.

I also like how certain entities must require them to setup a foundation for civilization growth.  I cannot see a merfolk civ lasting very long without a warm spring, especially in the winter months.
Oceans.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 11:14:52 am »

Why just elves?

Because elves are the ones with an affinity for magic, and I think some of the ThreeToe stories even mention them having the power to use magic to bend wood and make trees grow together and such. You could make an argument for gypsy humans or people like that making a magic fountain, but it makes less sense to me.

Most of the time, plates move a few inches per YEAR. This would mean that, over a 1,050-year worldgen, plates moved under 40 feet. Even at that absurd rate, that one feature would move by maybe half a region tile by the end of worldgen.

Which is why having the terrain move as a result of plate tectonics would be a waste of Toady's time, in my opinion. But it would be cool to have tectonic boundaries at least defined, so you know where there's likely to be more earthquakes and volcanic activity.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 11:22:42 am »

Why just elves?
Because elves are the ones with an affinity for magic, and I think some of the ThreeToe stories even mention them having the power to use magic to bend wood and make trees grow together and such. You could make an argument for gypsy humans or people like that making a magic fountain, but it makes less sense to me.
First off, why is an affinity needed to work magic? Second, how are elves the only people who can have an affinity for magic? Third off, how is elven skill with trees related to hot springs? I might be wrong, but I don't think hot springs are made of wood...

Which is why having the terrain move as a result of plate tectonics would be a waste of Toady's time, in my opinion. But it would be cool to have tectonic boundaries at least defined, so you know where there's likely to be more earthquakes and volcanic activity.
Agreed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »

Because the springs are in the sacred elven forest.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 11:12:21 pm »

What about the springs in sacred dwarven volcanic areas/mountains, or sacred goblin tundras, or sacred human plainses, or sacred kobold caves?
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »

What about the springs in sacred dwarven volcanic areas/mountains, or sacred goblin tundras, or sacred human plainses, or sacred kobold caves?
A cave full of water is called a lake.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »

No. A pit full of water is a lake. A cave full of water is a flooded cave. A partially flooded cave, with the water heated like hot springs are, would be a subterranean hot spring.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

No. A pit full of water is a lake. A cave full of water is a flooded cave. A partially flooded cave, with the water heated like hot springs are, would be a subterranean hot spring.
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 08:32:12 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6