Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Hot springs  (Read 4149 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Hot springs
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:34 am »

Older topics that may be related: # # # #

First, let's give inorganic materials a [SOLUBILITY] token. SOLUBILITY could go from 1 to 10, or follow some sort of real-world measurement (more likely). Still listening? Good!

Now we have volcanic regions already. Let's improve them. Since we don't have tectonics simulations (yet), we place hot pools and springs in mountains and near volcanoes. This will tie back into SOLUBILITY: pools are most likely to form over more soluble rock types and in aquiferous regions. Throughout the year, they maintain a temperature of over 40 degrees centigrade (10072 Urist) and will cause scalding if anything lingers in them for too long. However, these hot spots are zone-based, not water-based, so draining a hot spring (good luck, they're quite deep) will leave a hot, muddy crater and some cold water nearby. They will slowly refill as water gushes up from underneath. But how do they look underneath?

These are different than murky pools - they're heated by magma, so they go down deep. Very deep. These pools can be over fifty z-levels deep, and they should always reach near the magma layer - they will generate like our current volcanoes, except they're separated from the magma by a few layers of obsidian, and the tube around them isn't obsidian but the normal rock surrounding them. Geysers would be nice, but not until temperature is more sophisticated and computers are too (PHWOOSH, wow, lag!!).

Civilizations like hot springs. Elves may be able to treat them as shrines if they're in the sacred forest, goblins could toss mutilated sacrifices into the depths, humans could actually bathe in them and build bathhouses and dwarves would build bathhouses too, although they would probably also treat the hot springs as being holy and toss relics into the pool. An enterprising player who drains the springs could recover ancient artifacts and treasures.

Now, adventurers will love these things, because they don't freeze. Unfortunately, springs over soluble rock (which are more common, remember) are likely to be laced with that rock, making the water less filling or even too smelly/rocky/cloudy/dirty to eat (water laced with brimstone, yum yum). The rare springs over less soluble rock-types will be fine.

Civilizations could want spring water if you've got it - maybe your water laced with pitchblende is just the ticket to better health (don't try this at home!). "Spring water" would be a valuable trade good, and you could make a task at the Still (I can't think of anything better) to collect spring water in a vial or flask.
My wooden badge was delicious.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
Re: Hot springs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:23:02 pm »

I really like this idea because it would probably make "warm water" vs. "cold water" a thing, and would add some practicality to the magma-heated bathhouse that I have been planing.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:51:05 pm »

A patch of water that stays liquid in freezing biomes could be very useful!
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 03:21:56 pm »

Hmm, I like this idea very much since it'd tie in the geological features together. And yeah, when they finally implement water barrels being deliverable, there should be demand for 'special' water, either out of fashion or out of religious demand :D

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:21:10 pm »

Hmm, I like this idea very much since it'd tie in the geological features together. And yeah, when they finally implement water barrels being deliverable, there should be demand for 'special' water, either out of fashion or out of religious demand :D
Or if tied into magical stuff, because it actually does do something. (though those should be rare)./

Support for more interesting geologics.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »

Why wouldn't humans treat hot springs as holy?

Other than that, sensible. Would it be possible for dwarves to harness the heat for some kind of heat-based thing?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:09:55 pm »

Why wouldn't humans treat hot springs as holy?

Other than that, sensible. Would it be possible for dwarves to harness the heat for some kind of heat-based thing?

Honestly, while they could... a lot of humans didn't lable everything holy.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

Dwarves are creatures of the ground and seem more likely to venerate the deep springs heated with the fire of the earth. Humans just like being warm.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »

And elves? Why do they use springs as shrines?
Seriously, I can't think of a reason humans couldn't use springs as worship sites, unless DF!Humans are supposed to be naytheists
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:50 am »

I can see spring water being used by Dwarves for strange booze, or magical spring water being pumped into huge cisterns.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »

I'm just thinking what's the use for warm water. Like, what's the difference between cold and hot water anyway?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

One makes you hypothermic from bathing in it and one is pleasant to bathe in...seriously, use your head.
Sig

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 07:35:53 pm »

Seriously, I can't think of a reason humans couldn't use springs as worship sites, unless DF!Humans are supposed to be naytheists

From my understanding, the humans in Dwarf Fortress are meant to be like the ones you always hear of in those medieval fairytales, with knights and castles and all that. I just have a hard time imagining them, or elves for that matter, worshiping a pool of hot water. But I think it would definitely be fitting for dwarves, cave people, and maybe even some animal men to worship hot springs though.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:49 pm »

Elves would worship them if they were already in a sacred site like the holy forest or whatever.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »

From my understanding, the humans in Dwarf Fortress are meant to be like the ones you always hear of in those medieval fairytales, with knights and castles and all that. I just have a hard time imagining them, or elves for that matter, worshiping a pool of hot water. But I think it would definitely be fitting for dwarves, cave people, and maybe even some animal men to worship hot springs though.
People have worshipped stupider things, such as...um, your least-liked religon's god.
More to the point, it's not necessarily that they worship the spring so much as consider it "holy," regardless of what god they worship.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6