Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worldwide undead  (Read 2550 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Worldwide undead
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:17:08 am »

I've been kicking around the idea of trying to generate an undead apocalypse type world in DF, but I'm not quite sure what the best way to go about that would be.  There are a few ways I've thought about going about doing this, but having never attempted this before I could use some assistance.

First off, I'd like any embark to have a large proportion of undead on it, if not entirely undead.  However, I don't want to have to deal with zombies standing back up every 15 seconds, and the possibility of other annoying evil region clouds and rains are kind of offputting.

It's possible to create custom regional interactions to reanimate, correct?  Would it be possible to copy the example from the interaction examples directory and change the reanimation from weekly to monthly?  If I do that, I need to fiddle with the advanced worldgen parameters to get rid of the built in reanimation interaction, correct?  Do I just reduce the number to 0?

The other way I've considered doing this is through the creature variation system used for animal people and giant creatures.  You can add and remove tags this way, but would it be possible to replace tissues this way?  To say create ghost variations for creatures?  None of the existing creature variations do that to my knowledge, but would it just be a matter of adding the appropriate tags?  Is that possible?

I also don't want caravans, but that's a different problem altogether.  I think it would be simple enough to add an undead civilization to get ambushes and sieges from, but preventing your own civ from showing up is another problem altogether.  Perhaps I should just embark on an island, does that prevent the home civ caravan from arriving?

Thanks for any help.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Worldwide undead
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:30:57 am »

It's possible to create custom regional interactions to reanimate, correct?  Would it be possible to copy the example from the interaction examples directory and change the reanimation from weekly to monthly?  If I do that, I need to fiddle with the advanced worldgen parameters to get rid of the built in reanimation interaction, correct?  Do I just reduce the number to 0?
I believe this is all possible, and it's the way I'd certainly go about it.

As for the civ problem, just remove [ACTIVE_SEASON:XXXX] token and your civ should never show up to trade.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:33:51 am »

Cool, thanks.  Removing the caravans is much easier than I expected at least, that's good news.

I'll try the regional interaction tomorrow and see if that works like I hope.  Will evil regions start with some creatures already affected by the interaction?  I've never actually embarked on an evil biome...

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:58:25 am »

With the interaction route, I don't believe it needs to be limited to evil regions...as the [IS_REGION] tag can specify evil, good, and normal biomes. I'm also pretty sure the interaction automatically makes the base animals for the biome into zombies.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:23:12 am »

Your home civ will send caravans through oceans to trade with you.
All other civs require a land bridge to make contact with you.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:46 am »

I thought about making a "Diaries of the dead" type zombie mod.

All it requres for you is to make a resurrection interaction with
Code: [Select]
[I_SOURCE:REGION]
[IS_REGION:ANY_TERRAIN]
[IS_REGION:EVIL_ALLOWED]
[IS_REGION:GOOD_ALLOWED]
[IS_REGION:SAVAGE_ALLOWED]
[IS_REGION:NORMAL_ALLOWED]
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:27:39 am »

Ok, thanks guys, that's good news about the regular biomes supporting this too.

So the next question then is it possible to create ghostly creatures with interactions, or only zombies?  I don't suppose skeletons are possible either?  It seems like I might be able to get away with removing and adding tissue tags, but that sounds suspicious to me for the ghostly creatures.  Skeletons I'm not sure at all about.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »

you could probably get away with removing every tissue but bone, and giving it the no thought center for movement tag. Skeleton.

Id also make the bones a little tougher than normal, since it'll probably disintigrate at the slightest touch.

Can you remove tissues with interactions? Becuase you could make it bleed 1000 for one second, then just remove everything but bones and give it no thought center for movement at 2. Instant skeleton.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »

I've been picking through this some and so far I'm not sure it's actually possible to remove or swap tissues in any way.  From what I see at least you can't add tags that require arguments, which the tissue tags would.  So that idea is probably out.

I think the only option I might have is to just manually create ghostly and skeletal creatures and replace the living ones.  As much as I can stand to do manually anyway.  :(

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 05:56:37 pm »

You should make an undead civ. I'd play that.

Only method of increasing population: killing and reanimating.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 06:01:03 pm »

You should make an undead civ. I'd play that.

Only method of increasing population: killing and reanimating.

Oh god yes.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 07:40:48 pm »

Sadly, I'm not sure that it's possible...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 10:31:17 pm »

I'm not sure what happens if you play a civ with [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].  Would reanimated undead be friendly?  Probably free loaders though, if it does work.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work as far as worldgen goes.  You could prevent regular reproduction by lacking a [FEMALE] tag on any caste, but the reanimation wouldn't work for increasing your civ's pop I'm pretty sure.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

I'm not sure what happens if you play a civ with [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].  Would reanimated undead be friendly?  Probably free loaders though, if it does work.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work as far as worldgen goes.  You could prevent regular reproduction by lacking a [FEMALE] tag on any caste, but the reanimation wouldn't work for increasing your civ's pop I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, animated undead will be friendly as long as they have NOT_LIVING on top.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 08:27:22 pm »

You could very easily create a worldwide regional interaction that raises all corpses as a creature of your choice, which disappears on death (use an itemcorpse or something to do that).  The downside is that you'd lose the difference between zombie cats and zombie elephants, but it does make it so that corpses only rise once.

Alternatively, you could create a regional reanimation interaction and simply give it a unique permanent syndrome effect, and then forbid it from reanimating targets who already have it using a syndrome class.  You'd have a regional effect where corpses reanimate weekly (or monthly), but each individual corpse only does so once.  The downside here is that the corpses don't clean themselves up after they die again.
Pages: [1] 2