Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting civs to only use a certain type of material?  (Read 1189 times)

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
Limiting civs to only use a certain type of material?
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:09:10 am »

So I was dicking around on the drawing board yesterday (figuratively speaking, those things cost like a billion bucks) and was thinking about things to mod into DF when I had the greatest idea ever.

Bread swords and other food based weapons.

I know, I know, you can't turn food into weapons, DF doesn't work like that, well you can (we have all killed critters with food in adventure mode, eagle guts is a personal favorite of mine) but not in the conventional sense that you'd be able to equip your militia with cooked food.
But you can make custom reactions that spawn items made of wonky materials, so if I make a "bread" material I could very well have my bread swords, or at least pretend that I have bread swords.
The problem I came across when thinking however was that if I did add bread swords to civs they would still show up with wooden and metal variants, NPC's would spawn bread swords made of anything but bread and traders would import metal bread swords, and that's not what I want, it would just be silly to have copper bread swords floating around.

So the question here is, would it be possible to make civs show up with weapons made of a specific material or not?
I am not asking for a fancy step-by-step instruction here, just want a simple "Yes" or "No" will do.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting civs to only use a certain type of material?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:06:56 am »

You could just use the default sword you know, and then have a special reaction that makes ones out of a "bread" material. Then it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they made them out of metal or wood as well. (After all if the sword was named "bread sword" then one made of the "bread" material would end up being named "bread bread sword".) As a result your bread swords are only going to be want to be named "sword" anyways.

And to address your original problem with the answer, I don't believe it's possible to limit a civ to only make a certain thing out of a certain type of material, but I believe you can make it so that only the player fortress can make them, stopping traders from importing them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »

So it can't be helped then.

Terrible shame, I was really looking forward to having food wars with the locals in adventure mode, guess I'll just have to limit it to the player in fort mode.
Thanks i2amroy.
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »

I could be wrong, but with permitted reaction tags, I think you can make a civ only use armour and weapon of a specific material. Say, you want a civ to use all brass stuff and nothing of any other metal, I believe you just add [PERMITTED_REACTION:BRASS_MAKING] and make sure no other metal_making tag is in the entity file.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:56 pm »

I could be wrong, but with permitted reaction tags, I think you can make a civ only use armour and weapon of a specific material. Say, you want a civ to use all brass stuff and nothing of any other metal, I believe you just add [PERMITTED_REACTION:BRASS_MAKING] and make sure no other metal_making tag is in the entity file.

They will still use copper, iron, and silver because those are base metals.  If you want to restrict a civilization to, say, bronze only, you'll need to disable the furnace operator laborer and give them a custom reaction to produce bars using another skill.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:12:17 am »

They will still use copper, iron, and silver because those are base metals.  If you want to restrict a civilization to, say, bronze only, you'll need to disable the furnace operator laborer and give them a custom reaction to produce bars using another skill.

But this wont prevent them from showing up with wooden variants, and it will stop the player civ from using furnace operating related labors in fort mode, nor would it stop the player from importing metal bars and using them in the production of food weapons.
Still interesting nonetheless.