Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IX: Hat Trick  (Read 6529 times)

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene II: The Battle of Dodson's Inn
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 10:21:12 am »

Dsemond heads outside, followed by Bob and Theodore. The inn is the sole building on a plain which is dotted with sparse clumps of trees. The midday sun shines brightly overhead, and there is not a cloud in the sky. Sure enough, nine men are approaching the inn, with shortswords in hand. Ross stands by the doorway, trying to load a shot into his musket, but he fumbles under pressure and the bullet falls to the ground, slipping through a crack in the floorboards (-1 regular musket round). Hogarth tries to levitate himself, but ends up falling to the floor with a resounding thud, banging his knee in the process (-2 to next initiative). Valinri turns to Dodson and asks if there are any supplies that the party may be able to use.

"Do you have any supplies in this inn that we could use. Bed rolls, food, candles, anything at all. Because if we need to flee, it would help if we didn't have to scavenge to survive."
"I wish I could help you lads, but Alice and I were about to starve before you showed up. We've got nothing but the clothes on our backs."
"Damn. Better hope we don't lose this fight then."

Dsemond turns around and notices that Hogarth and Valinri are still inside, and tries to drag them outside. However, he doesn't know his own strength, and ends up throwing them roughly through the door. Hogarth lands on his head (-3 hp), and Valinri, although slow to react due to the sunlight, manages to land without injuring himself.

"Sorry 'bout that sirs... I guess I don't know my own strength."

Bob waves his wand, and a single bokoblin appears in front of him, club raised and ready to fight.

The imperial troops arrive at the building, their eyepatched commander holding the magic sphere that was lobbed through the roof.

"Looks like we've got a couple of new otherworlders. And they've got some powerful magic on them. Men, capture these outsiders and burn the inn to the ground. We've had far too much trouble from Mr. Dodson."

'Over my dead body!" Bob shouts, and lobs a fireball at the nearest soldier.
The shot nearly misses, but the commander shoves the soldier directly into it, yelling "You sissies! Don't be so afraid to take a hit for the empire!" and the unfortunate man is completely incinerated.

Ross loads his gun, and accidentally drops six bullets into it instead of one. "This is gonna ruin somebody's day. Let's hope it's not mine."

Hogarth tries to pin one of the soldiers down with his telekinesis, but the man sees what Hogarth is trying to do and claps loudly, startling him. In his confusion, Hogarth accidentally tosses the man like a ragdoll at one of his comrades, knocking them both down. "Oh my god! I hope I didn't hurt them too badly."

Valinri spots one of the soldiers heading towards Hogarth, and fires a dart. However the sunlight gets in his eyes and the shot misses completely, and the dart flies off into the distance (-1 dart). The soldier doesn't even notice the shot, and swings his sword at Hogarth. The swing is very powerful, making a wide gash in Hogarth's arm, but the follow-through is poor, and the blade becomes stuck in the ground.

Another soldier takes aim at the bokoblin, and the diminutive creature barely manages to block his shot with its club, which is cut clean in two by the blade. Before the man can do anything else, Theodore pulls a magic sphere out of his hat and throws it directly at the man, who tries to cut the sphere with his blade. Big mistake! The single orb is split into two, and the man is struck by both lumps of energy. They tear massive holes in his body, and he falls to the ground and lies still.

Dsemond sees the man who's sword is lodged in the ground and seizes this opportunity to strike. He swings his coffin mightily, but the man somehow manages to cling to the side of it, and uses the momentum to leap onto the half-oni, using the horns as grips. However, the most he can do without risking falling off is covering the giant's eyes.

Yet another soldier charges at Hogarth, but he is knocked to the ground by a blast of force.

One of the soldiers who was knocked over earlier by Hogarth picks himself up and runs at Dsemond. He shuts his eyes as he swings, and feels his blade tear completely through someone's flesh. Looking up, he realizes that while he did manage to cut Dsemond pretty badly, he also completely decapitated his ally who was holding on to his target.

Another soldier charges at the bokoblin, but the little monster grabs his blade away from him and does a little dance of joy.

The soldier who was tossed by Hogarth picks himself up and charges the telekinetic. Hogarth blocks the slash with his arms, and sustains only minor wounds.

The last of the soldiers goes after the bokoblin. The small creature is surprisingly nimble with its new weapon, but the soldier manages to lop off one of its ears, causing it to scream terribly. This scream turns into a defiant yell, and counters mightily, killing both its attacker and the disarmed soldier in a single stroke.

The three men who are left flee for their lives, and their commander, red in the face with rage, scolds them, before realizing that he has lost the battle and is surrounded.

Party Status:

Caerwyn
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz

Foes:
Imperial Recruit: Moderately wounded, Fleeing
Imperial Recruit: Moderately wounded, Fleeing
Imperial Recruit: Fleeing
Imperial Commander: Not wounded, Surrendering
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:41:49 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene I: Adventure Begins
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 11:54:32 am »

Valinri will loot the nearby bodies for a thick cloak and hood, as well as any leather armor, and perhaps a dirk or saber. Plus coins, jewelry, etc etc.

Very nice writing style, but could we see our rolls? You could use the [Acronym= command.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 12:55:25 pm »

((My bad, people. Didn't know it was going to be rolled for.

And GM, can we see the rolls? I like to see those. :P))

"Sorry, I should've been more careful." Dsemend says in an apologetic tone before preparing for another strike. He is lightly wounded, but it isn't exactly that much of a problem for him.

The half-demon stares at the fleeing enemies and at the commander for a moment before sighing heavily. "Sir Dodson, could you patch us up?"

Order the commander to surrender and drop down his weapons. Check if there is any useful equipment for a half-oni.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 12:58:48 pm »

"No prob, giant bro. You're just part of my imagination, anyhow. Nothing to worry about."
He smiles at Dsemond, then notices the Commander.
Charge up them magic balls, look menacing.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

"F*cking f*cking F*CK!!! Goddamn sh*t ass c*nt picklesh*t crowanus PENISCABBAGE!"
"...Sorry about that, I do that when I get hurt. Can any of you help me with these?"

Hogarth tries to get his wounds healed before going up to the captain.
"Whyever did you attack us? I'm pretty sure we were just standing there, doing nothing. Why try to kill us?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 04:12:01 pm »

Ross looks around and see's the recruits. He decides to let them go, as they seem to not want to fight. The commander, however....
Aim the musket at the commander and try to interrogate him.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:27:34 pm »

Bob attempts to provide aid to the Bokoblin before checking if any of the guards armour fits the bokoblin, a nice hat should cheer the bokoblin up
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene III: A Magic-Proof Man
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:45 am »

Dodson steps out of the inn and smiles at the party. "That was some damn fine fightin' out there. I didn't know what to think of you fellas at first, but now I feel damned inspired to be a fightin' man myself. Hell, I'd probably have joined you out there if it weren't for what Alice might do to herself if I got hurt. Speaking of which, you're lookin' pretty banged up." Dodson gestures to Hogarth. "I'm no expert on medicine, but it looks like all you need is a bit of rest and you'll be good as new in a few days."

Dodson then turns towards the commander. "Who the hell do you think you are, threatening to burn down my inn and hurt my guests?"
"What makes you think that I'll tell you that?"
"These." Theodore says, juggling two spheres of magic energy.
"Time to see if this works." The commander holds up his hand, and the spheres fly into it and dissipate.
"It worked! The dragon-virus worked! Hah, you pesky mages won't ever be a threat to the empire again!"
"But I will." Ross levels his musket at the man's chest. "I've got six bullets in this musket, and I'm gonna fill your stomach with them if you don't tell me who you are, why you're here, and what this 'dragon-virus' is."
"Don't shoot! I'll tell you what you need to know, just pull your finger away from that trigger! I'm Commander Linson, and that sorry bunch of greenhorns and deserters was my regiment. We were scouting the area for mages to test the effects of the dragon-virus on, and we found one of your magic spheres. We followed its flight path back to this inn, and tried to capture you. You know the rest."
"No we don't. What is the dragon-virus?" Ross slides his finger over the trigger.
"I don't know anything about it except that the Empire is using it on people to give them powers. It's why I can stop magic. That's all I know, I swear!"

Dodson seems to believe the man. "Virus or no virus, we're taking you prisoner. You're lucky that we're nicer people than that Empire you serve, otherwise we'd have killed you on the spot."

Dodson ties the man up with a length of rope and carries him inside, before walking back out. He sees that Bob, Valinri, and Dsemond are looking through the equipment of the fallen soldiers, and calls out to them. "Hey! We're really low on food right now. Can you see if those men had anything to eat on them?"

"Yes sir. A good meal might help us recover our strength."

Dsemond looks through the bodies, but can't find any armor that fits him. He also finds four people's worth of food.

Valinri searches a few bodies, and finds a rusty old dagger. He picks it up, but the blade falls off the hilt and grazes his leg. He also finds enough food for one person.

Bob finds a cracked bronze kettle on one of the bodies, and places it upon the bokoblin's head. The bokoblin dances with joy at this magnificent new helmet, not realizing that it's just a damaged piece of cookware. He finds some bread as well, but only enough for one person to eat.

The party walks back inside and places their meager findings on the table. "Hmmm... There's only enough food for the six of you here. Don't worry, Alice and I can go hungry for one more night. It's the least we can do, after you saved our lives."

Party Status:

Caerwyn

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:46:56 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 02:12:09 am »

"You? Go hungry? Nonono - I'm an old man, I don't really need to eat anyway; I'll forego eating and practice this magic thing. Whatsyourname, you sir, the guy in the magician's outfit. Would you care to practice with me? From what I've read, we'll need to practice with this magic in order to be any good at it."
That said, Hogarth finds and object such as a mug or somesuch and practices controlling his telekenisis to move it in more subtle ways, ie in a circle, up and down, etc. Trying to get precision in his magic.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 02:21:35 am »

Theodore smirks before digging through the bags and removing his rations and tossing them back to the groups hosts.
"Don't need it. Can't starve when you're tripping anyhow. That's for afterwards, but imaginary food won't help for that. Thanks anyway."
He smiles at them before looking at Hogarth.
"No prob."
Help Hogarth.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 02:38:39 am »

"Wait I can summon up a chuchus to eat but it has to be cooked first, so someone start a fire"
Bob goes outside and attempts to summon up some red chuchus
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 03:44:24 pm »

"Ya can have my rations, had just eaten when I was brought here." Dsemend says, showing his gourd of sake. "Was also about to have my after-meal drink."

The half-demon watches as Bob leaves to summon something and decides to follow and help just in case. "Right behind ya."

Follow Bob to help him kill anything he summons for food. If nothing is summoned, visually scan for any nearby animal worth hunting, like a deer.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »

"No need for you 2 to go Hungary again. You can have my rations."
Go outside and help Bob/ Dsemend
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 10:22:43 pm »

Valinri will head out to the east, and travel as far as he can until nightfall.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fragile Times: Act I, Scene IV: What Chu Want?
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 02:00:33 am »

As the party gives up their rations, Bob has an idea.

"Hey, we may not need to go hungry after all. I think I could summon up something for us to eat. Maybe something like a red chuchu."
"I'm not entirely sure what those are, but you're welcome to give it a try, as long as they're not too dangerous."
"Don't worry, they're just little blobs of jelly. I'll go outside to summon them just in case I mess up though."
Ross and Dsemond look at Bob, and then glance at each other. "We'd better go with you. It's not that we don't trust your magic or anything, but if some more imperial forces show up, we don't want you to get ambushed."
"That sounds like a great idea. Let's go before it gets dark."

Bob, Dsemond, Ross, and the bokoblin step outside, and Bob waves his wand. There's a brief flash, and a truly massive red glob appears.

"I thought you said that it was little".
"They usually are. I don't know what I did wrong, but we need to stop this thing before it hurts someone"
"It's a good thing that Dsemond and I came out here then, isn't it?"

While everyone was talking, the bokoblin has already rushed up to the monster, and it hacks off a small lump of jelly with its blade. Bob, trying to defend his minion, conjures up a truly massive fireball, and hurls it at the chuchu. The chuchu softens its body in an attempt to make the shot pass through it, but the sphere of flames embeds itself in the beast before exploding, sending a flaming shockwave through the chuchu, damaging it greatly and setting it ablaze. Before it can react, Dsemond strides up to it and smashes it with his coffin, but both the coffin and the half-oni are completely sucked into the chuchu. The monster then forms a tendril of red jelly and reaches at the bokoblin, but the little fiend pokes this appendage with its blade, and the tendril is absorbed back into the great blob. Ross levels his gun at the chuchu, and pulls the trigger. Five of the six bullets fired hit the monster, and it collapses. However, one of them hits Dsemond. The musket ball strikes Dsemond in the arm, and while it doesn't penetrate the skin, it makes an impressive bruise.

Meanwhile, Theodore and Hogarth are practicing their magic inside, while Alice watches. Hogarth uses his telekinesis to pick up a wooden bowl, and tries moving it around. Hogarth moves the bowl around his head slowly, and seems to improve his control over his powers a little. Theodore sees the bowl wobble a little bit, and reaches to stabilize it, but suddenly finds himself pulled by an unseen force. He extends an arm jerkily towards Alice, and begins to speak, his mouth occasionally moving the wrong way and producing garbled speech instead of real words.

"Excuse me Miss Alice, but would you like to sdjlfk- I mean dance?"

Alice looks at Theodore strangely, but accepts his hand, assuming it to be part of one of his magic tricks. The two begin a slow and simple dance, and Alice spots Hogarth with his hand pressed against his temple, and immediately realizes what's going on. She stifles a laugh and calls out to him.

"Having fun over there, Hogarth?"
This breaks Hogarth's concentration, and Theodore suddenly trips over his own feet. "Aww... I was about to try some spins, but you messed me up."
Theodore picks himself up off of the ground and stares at Hogarth, dumbfounded. "Now that's what I call magic! I never even knew I could dance, man! This really is one hell of a trip, isn't it?"

Bob, Dsemond, Ross, and the bokoblin arrive back inside, each of them carrying a chunk of red goo.

"I think that we have enough food for everyone now. Let's see, there's me, Ross, Dsemond, Dodson, Alice, Theodore, Hogarth, and... Wait a sec, where's Valinri?"
"I could've sworn I saw him walk out to help you guys get food. Maybe he's out huntin' for some critters we could eat. I'll just leave a bit of bread out for him in case he comes back in the middle of the night."

The party (minus Valinri) sit down to a hearty meal of bread and red chu jelly, and go to bed straight after. Alice and Dodson sleep in their straw-stuffed beds in a corner of the room, while everyone else sleeps on the floor. Everyone's wounds heal slightly as they sleep.

Valinri, however, is far away, at the foot of a small mountain which appears to be at the very edge of the Dragonspine Range. He spots a pair of imperial soldiers, and follows them from the shadows back to their camp. It's a small encampment, surrounded by a spiked wooden fence, and there are only about six soldiers there, but they look to be far better trained than the ones that attacked the inn. One of them is carrying a solid gold trident and is barking orders at the others, but Valinri isn't close enough to make out what the man is saying. Out of energy from the long run, Valinri climbs up a ridge about a quarter of a mile away, and goes to sleep, wishing that he had taken some food with him.

*Hogarth has gained the Telepuppeteer talent

Party Status:

Caerwyn

Spinal_Taper

Xantalos

Caellath

HighEndNoob

Noah Tophatz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6