Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ability to speak or shout text typed on the keyboard.  (Read 2777 times)

Triki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to speak or shout text typed on the keyboard.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »

What kind of things would typing something in and checking to make sure that it's perfectly spelled so as to not elicit confusion, be more convenient than opening a menu and pressing a key?

In "callahan's crosstime saloon" is a puzzle where you have to guess the answers and manually enter them.
If it was possible to choose the correct answer with one button, is it a fun?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:12 am »

Dwarf Fortress is not a puzzle where you have to guess the answers and manually enter them.
If you had to jump through hoops to get anything done, is it fun?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:42 am »

Dwarf Fortress is not a puzzle where you have to guess the answers and manually enter them.
Beat me to it.

Call of Duty is a game where your dexterity determines if you win or die, should a FPS mechanic be used?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:24 am »

"Buy your authentic kitten tallow here!"
"I will flay your family alive and feast on their quivering brains."
"1053 Kamcaata gold coin here, all the way from the dwarves!"
"None will be spared my godly wrath to be meted out upon this wretched sphere."
"Sperm whale sweetbreads for sale! Still fresh!"
"You shall be first to fall. I will tear out your soul and rend it in two before your blasted eyes."
"GUAAAAARDS"
My wooden badge was delicious.

Triki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:48 am »

In Dwarf Fortress all the quests are too primitive and simple- here you are right.

If you create your own theme about the need to jump through hoops to get anything done, I will say that I think about it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »

In Dwarf Fortress all the quests are too primitive and simple- here you are right.

If you create your own theme about the need to jump through hoops to get anything done, I will say that I think about it.

Dwarf Fortress is not supposed to be a puzzle game.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

I don't think DF can afford to have natural language recognizer running, it's already brutal enough on the machine as is. Even just a primitive parser system like interactive text adventure programs tend to have would be very difficult with how varied DF can be. It'd take a fairly massive expansion of capacity in raw to flesh out the quest system, probably through civ definitions or specie designations. Then there're language development, since a lot of things within DF are defined by language ( in somewhat RNG fashion for names and events ). And so on.

Triki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »

I don't think DF can afford to have natural language recognizer running, it's already brutal enough on the machine as is. Even just a primitive parser system like interactive text adventure programs tend to have would be very difficult with how varied DF can be. It'd take a fairly massive expansion of capacity in raw to flesh out the quest system, probably through civ definitions or specie designations. Then there're language development, since a lot of things within DF are defined by language ( in somewhat RNG fashion for names and events ). And so on.

On the first page, I explained everything in detail.

If anyone of you wants to make it such a complex and and comprehensive system, how is this possible?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 06:32:48 pm »

Quests are intended to be more complex. Guessing what you need to type to buy ye flask is not, and would detract from the DF experience.

On the first page, I explained everything in detail.

If anyone of you wants to make it such a complex and and comprehensive system, how is this possible?
To attract the attention of others, or to say the spell.

Exclamation marks can be used for logical separation between shouts and quiet conversation.

Vowels or inarticulate sounds can be used for situations when you need to call somebody for help, or scare off wild animals.
Volume determines how far you will be heard, or whether sleeping characters can hear you

Spells (randomly generated phrases) can be learned by reading books or in chatting.
Some spells require loud pronunciation (Say them away from seeking enemies).

I think it will be fun!  :)  What do you think?
You explained everything except how it would be more fun than annoying. You're the aff, you figure it out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Triki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 07:18:17 pm »

You explained everything except how it would be more fun than annoying. You're the aff, you figure it out.

Then you have to wait.
Someday (perhaps many years later) I'll find a way to explain it to you without aff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »

Yeah, DF has enough UI issues at the moment. Adding another one intentionally is bound for disaster.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 10:20:33 pm »

Then you have to wait.
Someday (perhaps many years later) I'll find a way to explain it to you without aff.
"Aff" is NFL-speak for "affirmative."

Yeah, DF has enough UI issues at the moment. Adding another one intentionally is bound for disaster.
Amen.
Sig

Triki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 10:36:50 pm »

"Aff" is NFL-speak for "affirmative."

So what?

I'm all ready to listen to you.  :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:36 pm »

My point is, don't expect us to figure out your side of the argument. How would this system deal with the infinite array of possible input, and the almost-infinite array of input which makes sense? And how is typing in dozens of characters more convenient than selecting an option from a menu?
Sig

Triki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 12:06:26 am »

My point is, don't expect us to figure out your side of the argument. How would this system deal with the infinite array of possible input, and the almost-infinite array of input which makes sense? And how is typing in dozens of characters more convenient than selecting an option from a menu?

Install "small basic" from here- http://smallbasic.com/ , and run this script:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my nickname- "variant 1"

infinite array of possible input- "variant 2"

I hope everything works correctly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3