Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions regarding flavor modding - prepared food, instruments, toys...  (Read 833 times)

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know the three categories mentioned in the title are easy to mod for flavor.  Here are my questions: Are there any more like the aforementioned three that can be easily modded for flavor? Are crafts hard coded, or can they be modified in the same way as the others?  I ask these questions because I am not able to download DF on this machine and check for myself.  The wiki wasn't terribly forthcoming either.

I much prefer to look through my stockpiles and see things that make me laugh - prepared donkey spleen cake, plump helmet mash, zinc trombellows, etc.

Thanks in advance.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding flavor modding - prepared food, instruments, toys...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:14:42 pm »

The only other "flavor item" type easy edit that I know of is the shapes that dwarves use in engravings and other things, which can be found in descriptor_shape_standard.txt. Other then that I think prepared foods, instruments, and toys are the only items that fall into that "easily added for flavor" category.

There is also speech modding though, which is in all of the files in data/speech. While this doesn't have a big effect on fortress mode, it does make adventure mode certainly more interesting.

And lastly you can always add more [PREFSTRING:XXXXX] tokens to the creatures that do already exist, thus providing more variety in dwarven likes and dislikes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:43:23 am »

Also, interactions can be used for flavor as well.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:22 am »

You can also use the [SOUND:X:X:X:X:X:X:X] token as well to add sounds to various creatures (so cows moo, cats meow, dogs bark, dwarves "drink" and so on) now that I think about it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.