Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Little Inferno  (Read 4419 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Little Inferno
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:13 am »

Little Inferno, a game by the same guys who made World of Goo (plus Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221260/

I have to say... it is weird. The art and music is good like World of Goo, but... the gameplay is really strange!

Even with the Steam -10% discount ending in less than 4 minutes from now, I'm not sure if I should buy it.

It seems like it is a game where you burn stuff while waiting for mail to reveal more parts of the story... kind of a visual novel with physics and pretty fire effects.

Anyone already own the game? Is my above description right? It seems the price tag is a wee bit too high for a novel.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little Inferno
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:35 am »

It looks pretty cool, I might pick it up depending on what the gameplay is like.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:17:01 am »

I guess it depends on the gameplay for me too.  The trailer almost made me want to try it, the dark turn it takes near the end (Not where the kids are screaming, but where the narrator is talking about the world outside) was a little compelling.
Shoes...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:28:28 am »

If you're really worried about getting burned (punny) you can always wait a few months. PC games often drop price extremely quickly, even more so the indie titles. There's also the possibility it will wind up in one of the dozens of Indie Bundles that have cropped up. 

I loved World of Goo and this looks pretty good as well. Loving the artstyle and over all theme. I'll probably pick it up in the future mandatory Steam sale when I'm not as broke. I do hope the gameplay elevates a little more than "cow-clicker", hard to tell from the trailer.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:30:54 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:37 am »

getting burned

DOHOHOHOHOHO[/b] :P

Honestly I think I'll get this, the storyline looks really cool (I'm a sucker for the kind of apocalypse denial stuff (if that makes sense. I know what I'm trying to say :P)), and the 10% sale makes it all the sweeter.

Hoo-ray for small amounts of disposable income!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:51:21 am »

I'd buy this if I had money.
That's true for a lot of things though :P.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »

I'm buying this right now. Simply being from the same guys as World of Goo is an instant purchase for me. I won't be able to play it until after work though.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »

Playing it now. The physics are amazing. The style and storyline are brilliantly surreal. Also! You can connect to Facebook and BURN YOUR FRIENDS. (Seriously, it's cool.)

EDIT: Ugh, it makes me feel motion sick after a while, the whole screen kinda lurches around all the time. Uncool.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:33:27 pm by Chattox »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »

Playing it now. The physics are amazing. The style and storyline are brilliantly surreal. Also! You can connect to Facebook and BURN YOUR FRIENDS. (Seriously, it's cool.)

EDIT: Ugh, it makes me feel motion sick after a while, the whole screen kinda lurches around all the time. Uncool.

Is my description in the first post, "a game where you burn stuff while waiting for mail to reveal more parts of the story... kind of a visual novel with physics and pretty fire effects. " accurate?

Edit:
http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2012/11/little-inferno-review/

Looks like I'm right... it's not worth the price tag.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:34:57 am by kcwong »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:41:05 pm »

How long does the game last for?  I'm considering obtaining a 'demo', but that would be silly if I might end up finishing it before I've made up my mind.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:02 pm »

It's...not really a game. If you love watching fire, then this game is recommendable. I've finished the first catalogue and am now starting my second catalogue. Not sure how long this is going to remain interesting but ah well.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:30 pm »

How long does the game last for?  I'm considering obtaining a 'demo', but that would be silly if I might end up finishing it before I've made up my mind.

4 hours or so, from the review I've read. The reviewer thinks there may be multiple endings, but you'll need to burn stuff for another 4 hours to get to see them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »

So I just finished it a couple hours ago. I have to say, the fire physics are second to none. Seriously, it's amazing. But then, what with it being a game solely about burning things, one would expect as such. :P

The storyline is very good most of the time, even tugging on my heart strings a little bit at one or two points. The ending (that I got, and it does seem like there are multiple endings) didn't make a whole lot of sense, however. Regardless, it still felt satisfying.

Also, mucking about with burning stuff and the different effects objects have is awesome fun. I'm a huge fan of physics sandboxes like this so I'm right at home. I also really like how you can burn pictures from you and your friends' Facebook albums. :P

All in all the storyline took me around 5-6 hours, interspersed with short periods of mucking about. I'll definitely be dipping back into it to get all the combos and just continue burning stuff for fun, but unless there are updates it's not something I see myself still playing come January.

For the price I'd say it's really good, especially since you get the same length of storyline in this hat you do in some AAA games that sell for triple the price, if not more.

In closing, I recommend this game to everyone who likes burning things, physics sandboxes and combinations thereof.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 06:06:56 am »

I bought this because I didn't believe there wasn't anything else going on but burning things. Well, I was mostly wrong. I'm a bit surprised after all this time this is what 2D Boy got together, I did expect a lot more.

The fire physics are goddamn amazing, but what really irks me the most is the really weird delays on receiving items and the stamp system to get them earlier. It feels so much like some iPhone game bullshit, which you can buy yourself through. But there isn't even an iPhone version of this so what gives? Why are there so many limitations for me to pile  on a gigantic amount of stuff and set it all on fire? Isn't that precisely what the point of the game is? Especially as it is still possible, it just takes around a minute longer than it should.

My recommendation is to buy this for 5€, when it is possible or for 1€ on your touch device when this inevitably gets there. That seems about right.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »

So, this game's obviously trying real hard at some kind of deeper meaning.  Anybody want to consider what it might be?

Spoiler: Some thoughts (click to show/hide)

I kind of agree with that one review.  It's not indie gaming at its worst (I can think of some other indie games that are far more self-indulgent and awful) but it's definitely not indie gaming at its best.
Shoes...