Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a Dwarf Fortress-esque game in space that is not Aurora or FTL  (Read 2769 times)

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a spaceship management game that is like DF in that you manage a single spaceship and its crew through a procedurally generated universe, something like FTL but with more complexity but no a 4X like Aurora. Anybody know anything like this? OR maybe a really good DF mod?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Dwarf Fortress-esque game in space that is not Aurora or FTL
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:06 pm »

SS13 is this in some ways, except all crew are people.

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »

Eh, I already play Baystation.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »

I'm not sure anything like this actually exists yet on PC.  Maybe you could look into Star Command when that comes out?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:03:16 pm »

SS13 is this in some ways, except all crew are people.

Between the lag and the (usually) abhorrent admins I have no idea how anyone can tolerate SS13.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:36:59 pm »

Star control 2, mayhaps? http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Or it's relative, Iron Seed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Seed

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26:02 am »

Hmm... loved Ur-Quan masters, but not really what I'm thinking of. I don't know anything about Iron Seed.

I'm trying to find something that is like DF but transported into a spaceship with a sci-fi setting, all the interactions between crew members and such.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »

Yeah, I keep wishing SS13 would be a little more serious and have more longevity. I played it to death in 1 week, but the constant restarts made me loose interest.

What I would really love is SS13 where you build the space-station. Start with basic stuff, have to import food, keep building new rooms, isolating them... eventually getting machinery that would allow you to start getting food and/or other stuff, etc etc :)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:51 pm »

Yeah, I keep wishing SS13 would be a little more serious and have more longevity. I played it to death in 1 week, but the constant restarts made me loose interest.

What I would really love is SS13 where you build the space-station. Start with basic stuff, have to import food, keep building new rooms, isolating them... eventually getting machinery that would allow you to start getting food and/or other stuff, etc etc :)

Baystation12 can lasts for 6 hours easy. It's very RP heavy though, so it can get tiring after a while.

I remember a meteor gamemode we played once where the meteors were bugged and never stopped coming. They annihilated almost the entire station before the admins stopped it, and instead of restarting the server, we kept playing. We evacuated all the civilians to the mining base, gathering supplies on the way. Then we came back after the storm and began rebuilding. We actually managed to fully repair several sections, including arrivals and parts of medbay. It was great fun.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »

Prospector Rougelike? http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

It's more like a Star Control roguelike.

contrafunktus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »

Prospector Rougelike? http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

It's more like a Star Control roguelike.

This one's very good. I haven't played it in a while, but it has some really really neat ideas. I assume (hope!) development is still active. It's in the same Star-Trekky vein as FTL, where there are space battles, space encounters, crewmen leveling up skills like engineer and pilot, however there's a whole other half to the game where you send away teams down to planets to explore and collect loot. I highly recommend this game.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:23 pm »

I'd recommend the X-series, but that's more like a first-person empire builder on the grand scheme.  Could be worth a look, though.  You start off in a small ship, get money from fighting or trading, etc, and can eventually build stations and massive fleets, even take on one of the major empires or control the whole galactic economy.  Crushingly difficult learning curve, too =p 

Beyond that, all I can really think of is FTL (which you've already ruled out, and isn't nearly as complex as DF anyway, was way too linear for my tastes), or wait for Notch's Firefly game 0x10c to come out... should have a multiplayer alpha out in early 2013. 

*EDIT*  X-Rebirth should be coming out in Q1 2013, which keeps the scale of the previous games but sticks you in a single ship with a full crew.  Looks good, but could go either way. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:39:11 pm by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."