Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories in America - A Product of Heritage and Culture?  (Read 1506 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories in America - A Product of Heritage and Culture?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »

You have completely failed to quantify that. Go ahead and read, because they're all over the place.

I'm reading the article right now and I feel my views have only been clarified. I can see a wide range of conspiracy theories from all over the world across history, with the majority of which (at least the majority of modern conspiracy theories i.e. not stuff about the Great Fire of London) being in the USA, being tied to the USA in some form or originating from there. That's either because of the large number of American contributors to this article, or because America is a hotbed of conspiracy theorism.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:53:40 pm by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »

Being tied to the USA does not make it an American conspiracy theory. The US, being a superpower, is certain to be blamed for a great many conspiracy theories the world over.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 03:56:19 pm »

Being tied to the USA does not make it an American conspiracy theory. The US, being a superpower, is certain to be blamed for a great many conspiracy theories the world over.

Even then, if you take out stuff like America being implicated in accusations over the Armenian genocide (which was the kind of thing I was referring to), the article is still largely about American conspiracy theories.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 04:08:57 pm »

What we in the US do have a large share of are apocalyptic conspiracy theories. This is in part due to the large proportion of the US which are evangelical Christians, among whom the "Left Behind" interpretation of Revelations is very popular. For those unfamiliar with that title, read the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind

Though that's only a part of it. The other important thing of note are studies on belief in conspiracy theories. If you believe a conspiracy theory, you are more likely to believe other conspiracy theories; even if they are logically contradictory with one another. So in a way, the religious 'end of the world' conspiracy preps those same people for belief in alien abductions, black helicopters, ect.

The other important part of it results from actual apocalyptic devices: nuclear weapons. For about half a century, the US was in the Cold War with the Soviet Union. Half a century of propaganda and fear of the utter global annihilation of the human race; which as anyone living at the time was informed, could happen at any minute with a mere 15 minutes of warning. The propaganda and fear-mongering resulted in widespread belief that the other side wasn't just afraid of your weapons, but was actively seeking to destroy you and all you held dear. It wasn't necessarily a fully-fledged conspiracy theory yet, but it planted the seeds throughout the entire population; prepping them for belief in conspiracy theories and apocalyptic belief. That embedding of conspiracy into the public psyche is, in my opinion, the root cause for a large majority of the US's abundance of apocalyptic conspiracy theorists.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

Conspiracy Theories are a Product of History, after all if the government can do every thing from lie to start a war   to intercepting your mail

You name any event and the CIA have done it or been blamed for it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 04:51:07 pm »

Conspiracy Theories are a Product of History, after all if the government can do every thing from lie to start a war   to intercepting your mail

Or any intelligence service.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 04:53:17 pm »

They're certainly modern-day boogymen, at least until terrorism really took off as the focus of people's worry nowadays. That said, the most commonly referred-to intelligence services involved in that kind of stuff would be the CIA and the KGB.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »

They're certainly modern-day boogymen, at least until terrorism really took off as the focus of people's worry nowadays. That said, the most commonly referred-to intelligence services involved in that kind of stuff would be the CIA and the KGB.
It's actually quite interesting given how the CIA are not allowed to operate within the United States under any circumstances, while the FBI are allowed to work both within and without. If the CIA has US objectives, it is sent to the FBI. Really, if your worried about the CIA, live in the US and you are automatically safe, under even the most basic laws. Hell, forget laws, the FBI wouldn't allow it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 04:58:20 pm »

Speaking of conspiracy theories, I like the one where Belgium is actually a lie the most.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

Living next door to Belgium, I am more familiar with the Bielefeld version of the conspiracy.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »

Speaking of conspiracy theories, I like the one where Belgium is actually a lie the most.

I love that one.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:10:18 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 [2]