Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: You are an Evil/Good Overlord  (Read 4068 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are an Evil/Good Overlord
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:33 am »

As i have plenty of free time, here is another idea i had:
The world of Kirilia is composed of several large islands and its main continent, Kirilia, which gives the world its name. Each of the islands is controlled by an overlord with a different morality from the others. All of them want the Crystal Tear, a powerful magical artifact that is somewhere within the continent. Some of them want to use it for good, and others want to use it for their evil plans.

But this is not only a fight between mortals. Each overlord is under the patronage of a different major god, and gives him a variety of powers to use, usually in the form of long ago dead heroes and creatures, sometimes even from different worlds. Will you able to rise from your island and take the Crystal Tear? Or will you be killed while trying?

This is a game for 4-5 players:
All actions succeed or fail by rolling two six sided dice and comparing them to the characteristic that should be used plus any bonus or penalty from artifacts or equipment. It is possible to have more than 12 with this artefacts. In this case you roll against the excess. A failed roll becomes a success and a success becomes a critical success. A 12 is always a failure.
First step is to create your Overlord, who will be your avatar. He/she will be very powerful, but his/her death, is your death.
You have 20 characterists points which you can spent on:
Strenght (STR), Endurance (END), Dextery (DEX) and Wisdom (WIS). (Max of 12)
You also have 20 points to spend in traits:
Undead: Your avatar is an undead. A liche is worth 4 points and makes you more resistant against necromancy spells and allows you to extend the radius at which you can control undead creatures a 50%. A phantom is worth 6 points and works the same way, but non-magical attacks can't harm you in any way.
Spell Caster: Your avatar is a Druid or Wizard. You can use spells from two of the following types: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Light, Darkness, Illusion, Necromancy, Chaos or Order. It is worth 6 points.
Summoner: Your avatar has a greater degree of control of summoned creatures and heroes, and can summon up to 5 creatures/heroes instead of the usual 4. This trait is worth 3 points.
Not a human: Your avatar wasn't ever a human. For 1 point he may be a dwarf and have all of his soldiers/creatures/heroes have better equipment which gives them . For 2 points he was an elf and has a natural connection with magic, being able to discover the effects of any magical artifact he sees at the moment. For 4 points he is a Fey. A creature born in the deepest parts of the main continent, and as such, non-intelligent creatures from this areas won't attack him or his minions.
Knight: Your avatar is skilled with the use of almost any weapon. He is a warrior of great skill and as such, he is able to face numerous opponents without penalties. This is worth 3 points.
The Chessmaster: Your avatar controls a vast web of spies and infiltrators, and at the end of a turn, when everyone has posted their actions, he can choose one action of one of the other players and change it. This is worth 5 points.

Then you have to choose one god to be your patron:
Kraeon: God of warriors and conflicts.
Izrar: God of death and cold.
Gamillean: God of flames and destruction.
Tartarus: God of punishment and darkness.
Alastor: God of blood, sacrificies and violence.
Carmil: God of thieves and trickery.
Armillean: God of wind and lightning.
Zararist: God of earth and nature.
Xarxas: God of water and nobility.
Zarachiel: God of light and volcanoes.

Each god has his own heroes and creatures that you'll have to discover. When you are finished you have 10 points to use in creating your island:
Buildings: Does your island have castles, villages or cities?
Population: The amount of people that live in your island.
Resources: Construction materials, food and water.
Magic: Magical crystals, creatures and maybe even artifacts.

Also some background info and description would be great.

EDIT: Any unused trait point can be used as an island point. So if you have spent 15 points in traits, you can have 15 points to create your island
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:29:35 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Evil/Good Overlord
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:14 am »

Sounds pretty good. I'll give it a try.

Lennobor the Flame of the Past

STR:7
END:2
DEX:3
WIS:8

-Lich
-Spell caster of Fire and Order
-Knight

-Chosen of Zarachiel.

-Isle of Nafta:
-Buildings: 3
-Population: 3
-Ressources: 5
-Magic: 6

Lore.

Lennobor the Flame of the Past was once a great king, loved by all his subjects. He was a loyal servant of Zarachiel and brought order and peace to his land. But he was mortal, and finally died of old age. For centuries he slept in a great tomb within the extinct sacred volcano, his loyal knights and servants by his side. But now his god raised him from his slumber, to once again repel the darkness and claim the Crystal Tear for the greater good.
As he descended upon his kingdom, he found a mere shadow of what he remembered. Royal bloodline had died, and the throne was vacant. He took it and swore to do his duty, as a King and as a Holy Knight, once again and until death claims him for the second time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:34:44 pm by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:49:14 am »

I'll join, just ;et me type up th sheet
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:09:42 am »

Ok, i should have wrote it but i thought it was obvious: You can only take the spell caster trait once
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:17:40 am »

Calagar, Knight of the Black Eagle

STR:6
END:5
DEX:4
WIS:5

-Lich
-Spell caster Fire and Necromancy
-Knight
-Chessmaster

-Chosen of Kraeon

Isle of Narsh
Buildings: 3
Population: 2
Reasources: 3
Magic: 2

Calagar founded the Knights of the Black Eagle in service to Kraeon. He gathered as many followers as he could from across the world, before assualting the isle of Naresh, the war was short and bloody, and in the end the isle was in Calagar's hands. Fromthere he led conquest after conquest, controlling vast swathes of land across many isles, before he was finnaly slain by a dagger to the belly assualting the beach of yet another isle. After that his realm fell into civil war, and the many fractures came subject to rebellions and wars of reconquest.

When his lord resummoned him for the conquest of the crystal tear, he found his knights reduced to a small fragment in controll of Naresh, it wouls be a daunting task he could see, but if h had the crystal tear, then he could begin a war unlike anything else seen in history
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:14:34 am »

Ok, i should have wrote it but i thought it was obvious: You can only take the spell caster trait once
I thought it wasn't. Because otherwise it's less a matter of choosing which trait you take, but which one you dont. 20 points is a LOT. I may trade my second Spellcaster for a Chessmaster, but I'll end up completely identical to Calagar here.

And I foresee a lot of complaints about chessmaster imbalance, depending on how many actions you can make and how badly the trait can screw a carefully planned offensive. It'll be balanced if we can make 4+ actions and possibly make one of them immune to chessmaster, IMO.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 11:25:35 am »

ERIDAN THE WAVE CLAIMER

STR:3
END:4
DEX:4
WIS:9

-Phantom
-Spell caster of Water and order
-Chessmaster

-Chosen of Xarxas

-Isle of Molintheos:
-Buildings: 5
-Population: 3
-Resources: 2
-Magic: 3
Lore
   Eridan began his life as the eldest son of a tribal leader in the midst of a bloody war between the many small hunting bands that made up the population of Molintheos. When his father fell in battle along with most of the tribe, Eridan took over. Through diplomacy and worship of Xarxas, he brought a halt to the war by uniting the island under him. However, when he was 70 and still heirless, he realized that when he died, all his work would be undone in the power struggle, so he bound his soul to the world, and rose as a phantom.
   Now, with rumors of the crystal tear beginning to surface, Eridan dreams of bringing about an ordered utopia (ruled by him, of course).

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:05:18 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:14 am »

Ok, FAIL by me... I forgot to write one line. I was sure I had writen it... Updating the OP with it

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:35 am »

Roland Darkknoll the Wise

Characteristics:
Str 3
End 3
Dex 4
Wis 10

Traits:
Undead (liche--actually a vampire, but treat as liche)
Summoner
Spellcaster (Necromancy, Wind)
Chessmaster

Patron: Armillean

The Isle of the Dark Knoll:
Buildings: 3
Population: 1
Resources: 3
Magic: 5

Roland was an intelligent sailor, honest and with great potential. One night in port, he lost his way due to unknown, liquid reasons and spent the night with a nice young lady who turned out to be several times as old as anyone Roland knew, as well as technically dead. She had him join her in vampirism.
This did not stop Roland. Despite the myths, vampires merely dislike the sun; thus, he was perfectly fine. He used a long life to become captain of the ship and lead its crew to prosperity.
Roland was celebrating his 250th birthday when the ship ran aground on a reef. He survived, but the others never showed up. He found himself on a remote and sparsely-populated isle. Using centuries of learning and the vampiric wizardry he had accumulated, Roland lead the islanders into a more modern era from the barbarism they were in.
A decade ago, when Roland was 518 years old and 497 years a vampire, a ship found the Isle of the Dark Knoll, named for a low hill with rich loam. Thus, Roland learned more of the outside world. A nearby lord gifted Roland a ship for his 500th "deathday," which Roland used to bring the innovations of the past centuries to his isle.
Roland rules wisely and well. Even the dark, pragmatic part of his soul agrees with this. Roland sees his neighbors mistreating their peasants and committing atrocious acts, and seeks to end the cruelty of the world by imposing his "gold-fisted rule" over it...or at least enough that the rest follows suit.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:35:26 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:35 am »

Strength 3 Endurance 3 Dexterity 5  and Wisdom 2 (Max of 12)

I r elf ((2)) that is trained in darkness and necromancy  ((8 )) she is trained in the art of summoning((11)) Who  has spys everywhere ((16)) and Was trained with a legendary knight ((19)) who teaches her in the skill of weaponry.

back story: A legendary thief: Who said to have attempted to steal  lennobars blood him self! however: when she tried to steal the blood for a dark ritual: he awokened and she managed to sneak away with out anyone noticing. Then a turn took to the worst and she was exiled to a island: the island was populated by tribal's: she casted spells and they then worshiped her as a  goddess: she is trying to make them believe in the God of theives and trickery: carmil. The tribal's have noticed large amounts of magic [5] but they they have a small population and infrastructure [1 and 2 respectively]  and there is ores around a large amount for such a island [2]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:34:30 am by wer6 »
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 12:36:02 pm »

Ok, FAIL by me... I forgot to write one line. I was sure I had writen it... Updating the OP with it
Oh cool, updating my character sheet. (Although I still cant see why we cant take the Spell Caster several times)
Full Sig

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »

I'm making a map of each of the islands. I'll post it when I finish it with some info.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »

Sweet, I didn't really want to be an elf anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »

Uhmm i have just noticed... Two chosens of Xarxas? I have nothing against it but...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »

reserving if there's still a spot open

EDIT: Seems not. A shame, looks interesting.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:50:36 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: [1] 2 3