Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for some sort of colonization/terraforming sim  (Read 14118 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Looking for some sort of colonization/terraforming sim
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:04:06 pm »

Recently I've really been getting the munchies for a game that let start a colonization on a different world, and eventually change that world to support life.  Got any good suggestions?  Because I don't seem to be finding much using my less-than-impressive Google skills.  If there are any more specifics things you think I should mention, just tell me what's vague.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some sort of colonization/terraforming sim
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:09:28 pm »

The first thing that comes to mind is UFO:Afterlight -- the third in a series of Xcom inspired games. It takes place on Mars and has a rather 1-dimentional terraforming mechanic going on throughout the campaign. It is more or less of a background thing though, the core game is still the standard xcom recipe.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:08 pm »

Aurora. Search for it on these forums. It's widely considered the Dwarf Fortress of 4X games. Terraforming is one of many, many, many complex gameplay elements, although it's more about the logistics of a jump point FTL empire than anything.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:07 pm »

Sim Earth?

Cleaning out my room and found my SNES cartridge.  Also my SNES.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:45:29 pm »

Check out maia, the developer simon lives on the forums as well
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »

Spore's space stage allows for colonization and terraforming, though the shallow mechanics leave me unsatisfied in that area.

Another recommendation for Aurora, though I've not touched terraforming there yet (the game is definately suitably complex).

Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri is nice; it is primarily a civilization-style game, the terraforming is a bit limited but there are researchable modifiers that affect how well both Earth and native organisms function in the world, and what good you can get from each; pollution is also an issue that causes an 'anti-terraforming' like effect, and the sun cycles of that star have huge environmental effects that cause changes you must deal with as well.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:19:08 pm »

I'm not so sure it falls under 'terraforming', but Black & White 2 was a pretty good colony/RTS, where the more good-evil got you, the terrain changed to match.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:57:15 pm »

Aurora is borderline game-breakingly complex. I've tried to get into it, and have wanted to enjoy it so, so badly; but it's almost boring.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:29:58 pm »

Waking Mars in the current Humble Indie Bundle will probably do you right.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/16/wot-i-think-waking-mars/

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »

Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri is nice; it is primarily a civilization-style game, the terraforming is a bit limited but there are researchable modifiers that affect how well both Earth and native organisms function in the world, and what good you can get from each; pollution is also an issue that causes an 'anti-terraforming' like effect, and the sun cycles of that star have huge environmental effects that cause changes you must deal with as well.
Any idea if this has gone freeware or not, and where I might be able to get it?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:25 pm »

I just got it the bad way because it's easier than hunting down an actual copy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »

If you want to look at older games, look at Sierra's Outpost 2. Although the focus is more on space colony building that on terraforming, one way to 'win' the game is to terraform the planet.

Another somewhat old (but still widely popular) title that springs to mind is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, as said before. Those formers can change terrain in whatever way you like, and the planet's ecosystem fights back even. You can also use nukes to make nice crater lakes :D

EDIT: I don't think SMAC is freeware yet

It's $5.99 on GOG (Good Old Games)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:13:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »

Any idea if this has gone freeware or not, and where I might be able to get it?

I bought my copy (and its expansion) several years ago.  That I know if, it's not free.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:59:47 pm »

OpenTTD despite being primarly a management game has some elements of terraformation, as you can manipulate the environment, digging, elevating terrain etc..

For the colonization part, it's more indirect, the towns and cities around the generated map will develop and spread by themselves without your direct control, but they will do so according to how you set up your roads/railroads/airports/boats etc... , how much you develop the industries etc... and how you have reworked the terrain around.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »

Well Civilization 2 Test of time has a (among others) a sci fi setting that basically is a Alpha Centauri 0.5.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3