Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Star Type

G-type main-sequence star, yellow stars (Like the Sun, lifetime of ~10 bil. years)
- 3 (23.1%)
K-type main-sequence star, orange stars (Cooler than the Sun, more stable, slightly less massive, lifetime of ~20 bil. years)
- 4 (30.8%)
F-type main-sequence star, yellow-white stars (Slightly hotter than the Sun, less stable, more massive, lifetime of ~3 bil. years, very !!FUN!!)
- 5 (38.5%)
Other classes (Please specify)
- 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Create a Planet  (Read 64247 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Planet
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2012, 11:08:14 am »

I don't think it's likely. I'm also pretty sure the two suns are within a couple AU of each other.
Proxima centauri orbit around Alpha centauri AB. They are 15.000 AU apart.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2012, 11:16:05 am »

I don't think it's likely. I'm also pretty sure the two suns are within a couple AU of each other.
Proxima centauri orbit around Alpha centauri AB. They are 15.000 AU apart.
Let me clear that up.
I seem to recall that the two suns we're orbiting the planet around are within a couple AU of each other.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sporemaniac777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2012, 11:38:19 am »

Just to clear stuff up, the starts are orbiting each other VERY closely around each other, only about 0.2 AU, I would say. I was just saying that an orbit around the smaller star is quite impossible at 0.6 AU. The diamond world might be orbiting 0.6 AU FROM THE COUPLE of the stars. The two moons are orbiting the planet, not each other. They are only perpendicular to each other. Quite far apart aswell. I don't see anything impossible with this system. Alright, let's start.

In the early stages of this solar system, two stars formed. One a white-yellow star, with a lifetime of about 3 bil. years and the other an orange star, with a lifetime of about 20 bil. years. The planet on which life as we know it is likely to form, orbits around 2.4 AU from the two stars in the center. A collision with another of the early planets ejected a huge amount of matter into orbit around the planet, forming a large moon, of about the same mass as ours. The other moon used to be a dwarf planet in the inner solar system until it got catched by the planet into orbit. The planet is still heavily bombarded by asteroids, partly due to the chaos of the early phases of this system. This planet passes through a very eccentric asteroid belt. The belt was already quite thinned out by the planet, but it still will be casing problems in the future, surely. The planet, mainly called Genesis by its creators, will face many challenges. Will complex life develop on this planet? Probably not. Will life try to evolve into complex forms? Surely. Let's try!

Planet: Genesis
Mass: 0.95 Earth masses
Diameter: 11858 km
SMA: 2.4 AU
Atmosphere: Nitrogen (80%), Carbon Dioxide (20%), 0.8 ATM
Moons:
Unnamed moon 1:
                       Mass: 0.012 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3446 km
                       SMA: 403 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 28°
                       Atmosphere: None
Unnamed moon 2:
                       Mass: 0.007 Earth masses
                       Diameter: 3177 km (It actually appears to be bigger than the other moon)
                       SMA: 151 000 km
                       Orbital inclination: 87°
                       Atmosphere: None

Now, time to do stuff! By the way, about 1 bil. years passed since the formation of the system.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2012, 11:42:27 am »

That's bloody close for 2 stars. They should fall into each other.

I still say that air pressure on Genesis needs to be far higher. Doubling the current values at least.

Anyway, first stage in the creation of live is rampant vulcanism. Wait till the hydrogen builds up in the atmosphere, then stare at acid rain for a thousand years, then drop in a sandwich.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:11 am »

How can the moon be far apart if they're orbiting perpendicular to each other? Their paths must intersect, and their intersection will lead to unforeseen crap. Or rather foreseen crap, but crap nonetheless.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

I still say that air pressure on Genesis needs to be far higher. Doubling the current values at least.

Anyway, first stage in the creation of live is rampant vulcanism. Wait till the hydrogen builds up in the atmosphere, then stare at acid rain for a thousand years, then drop in a sandwich.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »

How can the moon be far apart if they're orbiting perpendicular to each other? Their paths must intersect, and their intersection will lead to unforeseen crap. Or rather foreseen crap, but crap nonetheless.
I think that the planes in which they orbit are nearly perpendicular to each other. They don't need to cross each other for hat to happen. But yeah, it's unstable. There's a good change the planet's axis gets a whack too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2012, 12:41:26 pm »

One orbit is wider than the other.

-----

"You fools are talking about what SHOULD be done; we need to actually DO it.
Andriofraust, Litekkio, Tishka, get to work."

Azeroth kindles volcanic activity, or accelerates, to produce more gases needed for life-forms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »

I can make two object orbiting around a third, with the orbit plane of the first 90° of the orbit plane of the second, and still have the two objects as far from each other as I want. How cant you?

-Nope, I saw closer ones. Truth to be told, there's even a case of a white dwarf orbiting INSIDE a red giant. And how come this crap about "too close to orbit"? As long as you are fast enough, you can orbit as close as you want. You could even orbit the earth at 1km high for that matter. (problem is that you'll need to be insanely fast and you're slowed down by friction. That and hitting mountains.)

-Actually that make the air pressure at our sea level equal to the pressure at 2000m (6400ft) on earth. Completely viable. Remember that smaller planet = less gravity = less atmosphere.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »

"You can do whatever you want. I have some things to finish. I shall join you later."

Izrador starts shaping one asteroid into a giant palace with a dungeon and millions of very small cells.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »

-Nope, I saw closer ones. Truth to be told, there's even a case of a white dwarf orbiting INSIDE a red giant. And how come this crap about "too close to orbit"? As long as you are fast enough, you can orbit as close as you want. You could even orbit the earth at 1km high for that matter. (problem is that you'll need to be insanely fast and you're slowed down by friction. That and hitting mountains.)

-Actually that make the air pressure at our sea level equal to the pressure at 2000m (6400ft) on earth. Completely viable. Remember that smaller planet = less gravity = less atmosphere.
Why does that have my signature? I never said that.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2012, 01:01:07 pm »

A bug I guess. It shows this post as written by you, quoting 10ebbor10... I have no idea why.
Full Sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2012, 01:21:45 pm »

A bug I guess. It shows this post as written by you, quoting 10ebbor10... I have no idea why.
It's not a bug, it's just a certain someone failing to quote properly. ;)

But back on-topic. What's the closest the two moons ever come together?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »

Around 300.000 km.

Also, not really falling into each other, but one of the stars is going to siphon matter from the other. Iy won't be entirely stable/

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2012, 01:27:55 pm »

Who cares? It works because the God of Ribbons says so!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28