Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: You are a Space Army Project  (Read 7960 times)

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Space Army Project
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2012, 05:15:03 am »

For stealth in space...

You could absorb the warmth, radiating from you ship, into a heat sink or something. You just don't want to do it too ofter or else the whole party explodes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2012, 06:12:09 am »

For stealth in space...

You could absorb the warmth, radiating from you ship, into a heat sink or something. You just don't want to do it too ofter or else the whole party explodes.
Problem is that due to entropy doing that becomes exponentially harder. Also, having a perfect zero thermal radiation is not really possible.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2012, 06:32:05 am »

For stealth in space...

Problem is that due to entropy doing that becomes exponentially harder. Also, having a perfect zero thermal radiation is not really possible.
I didn't say it would be good stealth.

But yeah, stealth in space is a hard thing to do.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2012, 06:34:44 am »

PM me when you have finally decided what you are going to do.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2012, 11:43:12 am »

Any spots still open? Waitlist, please.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:38:04 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:52 am »

Any spots still open?
Nope. There 's even a waitlist.

Also, waitlisting.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:33 pm »

Has everyone decided their actions?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:07 pm »

Yep
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »

I just made one addition to mine but it's good to go.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2012, 08:29:33 pm »

Stealth in space is easy, just travel faster than your output...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »

Isn't your output typically travelling at the speed of light?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:43 am »

Precisely. "Output" is often heat (infrared light) and radio. And sometimes visible light, or even radiations from nuclear engines. All four are electromagnetic radiations carried by photons, so speed of light.

And it would work, if you travelled faster than light toward the guy you want to not see you.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:46 am »

Precisely. "Output" is often heat (infrared light) and radio. And sometimes visible light, or even radiations from nuclear engines. All four are electromagnetic radiations carried by photons, so speed of light.

And it would work, if you travelled faster than light toward the guy you want to not see you.
Okay then.
What do you do if there is some kind of detectable phenomena produced by FTL travel that travels faster than light as well? We're already kinda breaking the laws of physics with FTL already...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2012, 10:06:47 am »

Okay then.
What do you do if there is some kind of detectable phenomena produced by FTL travel that travels faster than light as well? We're already kinda breaking the laws of physics with FTL already...

Relative speeds, GWG, do you know how they work? You only need to fly faster than light relative to the object you don't want to be detected by.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2012, 10:11:23 am »

Okay then.

Relative speeds, GWG, do you know how they work? You only need to fly faster than light relative to the object you don't want to be detected by.
Relativity says you cant. lightspeed is constant and unbeatable regardless of the referential.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9