Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: You are a Space Army Project  (Read 7967 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Space Army Project
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »

Hah wait till I get to set up some research.
I'm going to invent a military commando force capable of boarding space stations or ships without using a ship to do it :).
What, shoot them up in a big capsule?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »

Nope.
Air tight suits with oxygen systems built in and thruster packs.
I'll drop them straight out of a ship either in orbit to attack space targets or just inside of the atmosphere for land targets and then they'll use thrusters.
But I need to develop a special suit, upgrade my forcefields, and develop a weapon to slice a hole in a ships hull first. As well as genetically engineer 50 men to improve their ability to fight in zero gravity environments.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2012, 05:09:35 pm »

Nope.
I'll drop them straight out of a ship either in orbit to attack space targets or just inside of the atmosphere for land targets and then they'll use thrusters.
But I need to develop a special suit, upgrade my forcefields, and develop a weapon to slice a hole in a ships hull first. As well as genetically engineer 50 men to improve their ability to fight in zero gravity environments.
Remember that space is large. Like really, really large.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »

Hence deploying from a ship.
They will deploy very close to the target.
The suits will have stealth capabilities to prevent them being detected so once they are deployed the first the target will know of it is when emergency alarms starting off because the ship has holes in it.

But it's gonna take quite some time to research and create this tech in the mean time I've got a station to retake and a scientist to save.
Assuming Ukrainian agrees  to transport my men to mars.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

Nope.
Remember that space is large. Like really, really large.
I concur. This is not star wars 18th century naval warfare. Ships are likely to fight thousands of kilometers apart.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

Just to point out, the suggested method actually requires a ship...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

I'm gonna get myself a few light shuttles with stealth tech :).

Everything I have in mind for my void jumpers regiment is based around stealth and overwhelming fire power once on board.
It's many turns away from ready :).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2012, 05:16:07 pm »

Hence deploying from a ship.
They will deploy very close to the target.
The suits will have stealth capabilities to prevent them being detected so once they are deployed the first the target will know of it is when emergency alarms starting off because the ship has holes in it.

But it's gonna take quite some time to research and create this tech in the mean time I've got a station to retake and a scientist to save.
Assuming Ukrainian agrees  to transport my men to mars.
Unless you want your men to sit days in those suits, or impact into hull at lethal speeds, your ship has to be well within weapon range.

Your suits have thrusters right. (Thermal signature allowing pinpoint accuraccy for Station Point defenses). Otherwise, they will occlude some starts. A dedicated point defense system can see those, and shoot them down. There's also electromagnetic radiation, and the time it takes for people to cut through a spaceships hull (Long). In the meantime, asteroid impact alerts should have activated.

There's no such thing as stealth in space. Unless you can fold space around you, of course. However, that would result in your ship overheating quite fast.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2012, 05:26:07 pm »

It's a game....
I can research a suit that is impossible to detect, I can use a propulsion system that can not be detected.
But boarding a ship is highly unlikely given that I intend to leave space combat up to Ukrainian and his fleet.
Most likely they will be used to board stations which sit nice and still.
Or used as shock troops to drop in from just inside the orbit who will drop in behind enemy lines to make a hole for the main assault force to come through and shatter the line.
These are mostly just going to be very high tech paratroopers.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2012, 05:30:16 pm »

There's no such thing as stealth in space. Unless you can fold space around you, of course. However, that would result in your ship overheating quite fast.
Actually you can, for no energy cost. It's called metamaterials. It has some downsides however. First not being multispectral cammo and second being poor armor.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »

Actually you can, for no energy cost. It's called metamaterials. It has some downsides however. First not being multispectral cammo and second being poor armor.
Not precise enough to give significant blurring or multispectral as you said. Besides, the overheating is caused by the fact that you can't have your ships heat escaping (that would be noted on cameras) not by the shield itself.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:43 pm »

Not precise enough to give significant blurring or multispectral as you said. Besides, the overheating is caused by the fact that you can't have your ships heat escaping (that would be noted on cameras) not by the shield itself.

Build a warp travel gate, keep it inside the ship, have a small travel gate somewhere irrelevant, vent all the heat in the ship into that gate and enjoy your exhaust flying off into plaid.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »

For blurring, metamaterials can make you completely invisible. They already use it (with amazing success) to make buildings "invisible" to seismic waves. And for the heating, you have a good point.
Full Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2012, 05:58:21 pm »

Hey great can I borrow a couple more of your psychics?
If I can get transport to mars I could use a couple of them to help me find the scientist and to tell me when somebody is hiding something from me.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:54 pm »

Hey great can I borrow a couple more of your psychics?
If I can get transport to mars I could use a couple of them to help me find the scientist and to tell me when somebody is hiding something from me.
Probably, but right now they're all committed to the Io-4 thing.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9