Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: You are a Space Army Project  (Read 7973 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Space Army Project
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:01 am »

Space Travel: From levels 1-5 your fleet is rather small (no more than 8 light ships) and unable to do FTL travel without using a Travel Gate, and they are rare and expensive to use. From levels 6-10 your fleet can include some heavier ship and be able do FTL travel without a Travel Gate, although it is unreliable. From levels 11-15 you have a small fleet with some heavy ships and FTL travel is now reliable. Higher level gets you even more ships. You can have less ships and give the ones you have more advanced systems.
Weapons: Levels 1-5 grant you above average modern firearms and some understanding of laser technology as weapons. Levels 6-10 allow you to have laser weapons as standard, although they have short range, or have more developped solid projectile firearms. Levels 11-15 give understanding of gauss technology as reliable weapons and plasma weapons as an option (not the most reliable one, but it is still an option). Higher levels give more tech that you still don't know.
Armor: Levels 1-5 give above average modern body armor and the first laser-proof armors. Levels 6-10 allow you to start having primitive force fields and power armour. Levels 11-15 grant more sophisticated force fields and even mecha armour. Higher level=more tech you have to discover.
Genetic Engineering: You'll have to be the ones asking what you want, and i'll tell how much it is, because this is a broad subject.
Numbers: Levels 1-5 are about platoons, and you get to around 400 men. Levels 6-10 are an army, with numbers getting close to the thousands. Levels 11-15 are big armies, and you have thousands of men. Higher levels, higher numbers.
Discipline: Levels 1-5 are armies with an above average discipline. Levels 6-10 means that your men have usually rites of passage and other traditions that make them be a different society on their own. Levels 11-15 usually haver some kind of religious conviction that their orders are right and good.
Support: Levels 1-5 give you an ally that has some interest in your field and wants to take advantage of the results, so it helps you to get to them. Levels 6-10 are about allies that have a long story of partnership and will support each other almost all the time. Levels 11-15 are more like a brotherhood than simple allies.
Vehicles: Levels 1-5 give you access to standard military vehicles. Levels 6-10 allow you to take more sophisticated vehicles like fully sealed tanks that can be use in planets with a corrosive atmosphere. Levels 11-15 are true killing machines and leviathans, like an Imperial AT-AT (Star Wars) or a light Scout Titan (WH40k)
Psychic Levels 1-5 mean that at least 5% of your soldiers have useful powers. Levels 6-10 give you higher percentages and more powerful pshychic powers, like telephatic communication between continents. Levels 11-15 are all-psychic users with most of them having serious powers.

EDIT: Maybe the numbers may seem low for those of you that want a higher number of men, but remember that your project started no so long ago, and the Goverment has lots of projects like this. At first you'll be a bit low on funds. When you have decided, I'll start an IC thread with the details for your first mission. Remember, you can always ignore the missions and look after your own goals, but the funds come from the Goverment, and the Goverment wants results.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:57:49 am by Rhyme »
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 10:03:53 am »

Hey Ukrainian.
Can we make a deal since you have no ability to work on a planet and I have no ability for space travel?
You have air support and get us to the location and I provide the main fighting force?

Is 10 genetics ok to have soldiers who are stronger, faster and have higher endurance?
And then have some that are extremely fast, good at sneaking and have better hearing and sight?
Can 11 in weapons provide massively enhanced projectile snipers and medium ranged laser assault rifles?
And 11 armor provide highly advanced power and stealth armor with basic forcefields built in?

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

Is 10 genetics ok to have soldiers who are stronger, faster and have higher endurance?
And then have some that are extremely fast, good at sneaking and have better hearing and sight?
Can 11 in weapons provide massively enhanced projectile snipers and medium ranged laser assault rifles?
And 11 armor provide highly advanced power and stealth armor with basic forcefields built in?
What you are asking is more around 6 points in genetics (10 points is more for people who want to CREATE their soldiers). The weapons and armor are ok. But remember that power armor and force fields are still vulnerable against massive fire from more primitive weapons.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 10:17:27 am »

Rhyme, Any comments on my guys?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 10:19:03 am »

Ok 12 in weapons and armor and 6 in numbers then.

How many men is that 6 in total?

The armor I'm thinking like full armor head to toe with electronic hud and all built in.
So it'd be stronger then normal armor and also have the forcefields as well to increase its durability with built in electronic systems for communication's, navigation, setting targets and that kind of thing.
Plus a second set thats a little lighter but has stealth systems.
Extremely high powered sniper rifles that could punch through my armor with 2-3 rounds at most and then laser miniguns built for mid range.

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 10:29:11 am »

Numbers 6 gets you to around 700-800.

And for now i think i like all the projects. If all of you are okay with your projects, I'll start the IC thread.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 10:30:18 am »

Go for it :).

So Ukrainian?
Make a deal? I provide the soldiers you provide the fleet?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:33:27 am by mesor »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 10:36:04 am »

mesor I don't  like OOC deals and my guys are quite isolationistic
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

I fiddled with the numbers of my faction. Space Travel 6 should be enough for at least one large (although probably unarmed) FTL ship. I could help.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 10:40:35 am »

Wasn't gonna make the deal just wondered if you'd be interested or not.
But I have my answer.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:10 am »

I fiddled with the numbers of my faction. Space Travel 6 should be enough for at least one large (although probably unarmed) FTL ship. I could help.

I believe our groups are rather complimentary, with you providing transport and psychic power and me providing the raw firepower. If you'd be interested in cooperation, say a word.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 11:07:25 am »

Sure, although I'm pretty sure we're all on the same side to begin with...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 11:09:13 am »

Well that puts three of us together then :).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:59 am »

Yup.
In case being in the sane military wasn't enough...
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 11:15:26 am »

Well me and slowpoke have kind of the same role covered.
His tech is slightly better then mine but he's only normal humans and in low numbers.
My tech is slightly less advanced but I have about 6x his manpower and my men are genetically enhanced :).
Then we have your psychics also in low numbers.

So if we work together it'd be something like my men form the main battle line with slowpokes spaced out along my line to provide strong points within it and your men behind the line to provide support.

Should work out great in battles.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:21:08 am by mesor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9