Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cool Things You Just Noticed Part II: It's The Little Things  (Read 4944 times)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Cool Things You Just Noticed Part II: It's The Little Things
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:33:28 am »

I just noticed that bogeymen corpses burn into nothingness when exposed to sunlight. I was about to butcher them in the morning for the heck of it too, when I noticed them emitting clouds of smoke and burning.

(I also discovered that the best way to deal with them is to have a really good wrestler charge into them, knock them over, grapple them, and then stab them in the head.)

Anyone else been amazed at all the little details that have slipped in over the years? Post the minor details that caught you by surprise recently and made you appreciate the sheer attention to detail this game has.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Zaffre

• Bay Watcher
  • Thou hath uncivil weaponry and an unclean mind.
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Things You Just Noticed Part II: It's The Little Things
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:32:09 am »

Pigs need no grass to survive which allows for feeding a fortress easily.

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:39 am »

I just noticed that bogeymen corpses burn into nothingness when exposed to sunlight. I was about to butcher them in the morning for the heck of it too, when I noticed them emitting clouds of smoke and burning.

(I also discovered that the best way to deal with them is to have a really good wrestler charge into them, knock them over, grapple them, and then stab them in the head.)

Anyone else been amazed at all the little details that have slipped in over the years? Post the minor details that caught you by surprise recently and made you appreciate the sheer attention to detail this game has.

Is there anyway to initiate a charge as of now?

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 12:25:36 pm »

Is there anyway to initiate a charge as of now?

Shift+C and change attack preferences to "Charge". Every time your adventurer can, he will charge at the foe and subsequently try to strike your indicated target (at reduced accuracy). Make sure to turn it off when facing bigger things. Against lighter things though, it's great.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 03:30:09 pm »

The fact that you can fill your backpack full of water if you don't have a waterskin and still use it normally.
Unf.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

The fact that you can fill your backpack full of water if you don't have a waterskin and still use it normally.

The fact that you can throw liquid water at the speed of light.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »

You can drink water off yourself in/after the rain
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:49:42 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:44 am »

I was about to butcher them in the morning for the heck of it too, when I noticed them emitting clouds of smoke and burning.

In an earlier version I collected bogey horns by putting them in my backpack and travelling (after hacking them off a live bogey, natch) before day break. I liked the idea of using them as daggers but unfortunately they made terrible weapons. Haven't tried it in recent versions but I assume it still works, and just as ineffectively.

For something I just noticed in my latest fortress: You can smooth and then engrave frozen murky pools. When they melt in summer the engravings are lost and then you can repeat the process when they refreeze in winter. Free and renewable xp for engravers. Because stone floors and walls are so hard to come by, amirite?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »

For something I just noticed in my latest fortress: You can smooth and then engrave frozen murky pools. When they melt in summer the engravings are lost and then you can repeat the process when they refreeze in winter. Free and renewable xp for engravers. Because stone floors and walls are so hard to come by, amirite?
A word of warning for this. If your engraver makes his first masterpiece on the ice and then it melts it counts as losing the masterpiece and can make a pretty severe hit to their happiness. I strongly suggest that once a engraver start cranking out masterpieces you set them to engrave some stone as well (since the happiness drop decreases for each additional masterpiece they create).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:55 pm »

If a single body part sets on fire, then the fire spreads in a logical way from the original limb. Kind of neat in a morbid way to see fire creeping up somebody's leg from their foot. It's the little details that blow your mind sometimes.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 12:36:36 am »

That you can get stabbed through the lung and have your heart pierced, sleep and have it heal into a scar, and the drink your own blood off of your lung. Please, nobody draw this. Actually, on second thought, that would probably look hilarious. Do it.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 02:47:34 am »

A word of warning for this. If your engraver makes his first masterpiece on the ice and then it melts it counts as losing the masterpiece and can make a pretty severe hit to their happiness. I strongly suggest that once a engraver start cranking out masterpieces you set them to engrave some stone as well (since the happiness drop decreases for each additional masterpiece they create).

Good point. If you get to the point that your engraver is making masterworks you could just stick to smoothing and not engraving (but would anyone really be doing this anyway?)

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »

Kobold and Goblin civs actually have trade information in the [c]ivilization screen.

Exports to Logemnazush: Petty Annoyance

Offerings from Logemnazush: Death
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

Exports to Logemnazush: Petty Annoyance

Offerings from Logemnazush: Death

Disproportionate retribution!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 03:53:48 pm »

Shooting out the eye of a goblin at night.
Pages: [1] 2 3