Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which setting

Centauri Colonies
Scorched Earth
Strawberry

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: The Centauri Colonies/ Scorched Earth: OOC/Worldbuilding  (Read 19060 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Centauri Colonies/ Scorched Earth: OOC/Worldbuilding
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2012, 11:01:16 am »

Just a note, The pirate and HTI were the only one who recieved the message, due to the rounding of the planet. Even futuristic radios aren't capable of punching through a thousand km of stone.

The rest only recieved fragments or nothing at all of the broadcasts.
Even modern-day radios can bounce signals off the...ionosphere, I want to say? That would increase range.
Yes it does. But it's still not enough to reach the other side of the planet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2012, 11:07:19 am »

I am in the best situation - We have no stinking radios :D
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:51 am »

The escape pods do have distress beacons. You turned those of when you landed.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2012, 03:33:09 pm »

Just a note, The pirate and HTI were the only one who recieved the message, due to the rounding of the planet. Even futuristic radios aren't capable of punching through a thousand km of stone.

Even modern-day radios can bounce signals off the...ionosphere, I want to say? That would increase range.

If it's a long wave radio then it would cover a rather short area, which is why we only get radio stations in a rather small area, but with short wave radios you can bounce signals off the atmosphere to reach just about the entire world.
So really the deciding factor in this is the size of the planet.  I think, I dunno, maybe that would mean it's bouncing off the atmosphere at sharper angles and getting a similar area of coverage it would on a larger planet.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »

If it's a long wave radio then it would cover a rather short area, which is why we only get radio stations in a rather small area, but with short wave radios you can bounce signals off the atmosphere to reach just about the entire world.
So really the deciding factor in this is the size of the planet.  I think, I dunno, maybe that would mean it's bouncing off the atmosphere at sharper angles and getting a similar area of coverage it would on a larger planet.
You know, all of this relies on the existence of an ionosphere to bounce the radio waves off. Centauri's ionosphere isn't that dense, reducing bouncing quality.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2012, 04:55:30 pm »

You know, all of this relies on the existence of an ionosphere to bounce the radio waves off. Centauri's ionosphere isn't that dense, reducing bouncing quality.
But then again, the planet is uninhabitable due to it being way to close to the sun.  Also, since it's slightly larger than our little blue marble, my theory is out the door.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »

Who wants to join me in killing him?
He has no radios to call for help :P. so we kill him take his people prisoner raid his recourses and then burn the people alive in whats left of his base.
Nobody will ever know :D.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »

Who wants to join me in killing him?
He has no radios to call for help :P. so we kill him take his people prisoner raid his recourses and then burn the people alive in whats left of his base.
Nobody will ever know :D.
I have no weapons, and no mechanized means of transportation, so I'm out.

For now.  Please remember to save some for me if you do go ahead and wage war on them, we have a score to settle.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2012, 05:07:48 pm »

I'll ship a couple hundred people to you and build a pyre in the middle of your town then you can throw on the lighter to burn them all :).

Of course at present nobody in the game could actually do all that much to help him even if he did call for help.

The drones or ships could hurt me but then the drones would be spectacularly outnumbered and sending enough to fight me would leave the players base horrendously vulnerable.
Plus ships can't come on land :P.

It's a good job I've got bigger priorities for now and I don't plan to be the aggressor towards other players.

Npc factions on the other hand will either join me willingly or I'll burn down whatever homes they have and leave them no choice but to "volunteer" to join me :).
I don't believe in slavery, but violent recruitment on the other hand is wholly accepted.

The drones being stronger then my infantry did remind me of something I needed to do though.
I know futuristic energy RPG's.
About 700 or so should do :).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:10:13 pm by mesor »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2012, 05:13:45 pm »

I'll ship a couple hundred people to you and build a pyre in the middle of your town then you can throw on the lighter to burn them all :).

Of course at present nobody in the game could actually do all that much to help him even if he did call for help.

The drones or ships could hurt me but then the drones would be spectacularly outnumbered and sending enough to fight me would leave the players base horrendously vulnerable.

It's a good job I've got bigger priorities for now and I don't plan to be the aggressor towards other players.

Npc factions on the other hand will either join me willingly or I'll burn down whatever homes they have and leave them no choice but to "volunteer" to join me :).
I don't believe in slavery, but violent recruitment on the other hand is wholly accepted.

The drones being stronger then my infantry did remind me of something I needed to do though.
Lol, reminds me heavier armored drones.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2012, 05:15:53 pm »

Lol, reminds me heavier armored drones.
Reminds me to get on nukes so I can counter both. *Insert psychopathic smile*

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2012, 05:20:34 pm »

NIX THIS.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:28:22 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2012, 05:21:03 pm »

Armor won't help you much against what I have in mind :).
But it will be useful in some cases I guess.

But we should work together, since it looks as if I'm going to have a significantly larger ability to produce drones then you are :).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:28:32 pm by mesor »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2012, 04:16:48 am »

NIX THIS.
? If you wanted to join, just put up a sheet.

Also, please remember that you don't know about others locations, and only vaguely about their existence.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2012, 04:26:03 am »

Armor won't help you much against what I have in mind :).
But it will be useful in some cases I guess.

But we should work together, since it looks as if I'm going to have a significantly larger ability to produce drones then you are :).
And it looks like my faction already wants to kill you because of the way you handle things, so when we meets its going to mean war most definitely, and yes you might be able to produce more drones, but I'm the only one with the tech to make them currently.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17