Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: A quick summary of the Hostess debacle  (Read 4644 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A quick summary of the Hostess debacle
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:23 pm »

Honestly this affects me in the least.

I got you beat, I haven't even heard of them until this thread.

It doesn't count if you know about or eat something they make.

Such as Twinkies or Moon Pies. and I happen to know that you eat at least 10 Twinkies and 5 moonpies daily.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:43 pm »

Never. Heard. Of. Them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »

Never. Heard. Of. Them.

Well that means you don't live in the Americas.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 01:47:16 am »

I will admit I don't know as much about this as I should, and am mainly going off the opinions of my parents here.
The problem with unions is often that in many places, if they go on strike, you have to go on strike too.  So during that time, you have to go for possibly weeks with little or no pay, and having to dip into your savings to pay for necessities, and oftentimes you barely gain anything, and will lose more money in the long run.  It's one of the main reasons we love in the state we do.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 01:51:12 am »

Other issues can be that the Union bosses can force a strike that the workers do not wish to have.

They recognised this as a distinct possibility where I live and as such the government can actually force strike votes.

Oddly enough the one thing I find interesting is most of the time, the wish to strike is never all that high a percent.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 08:39:47 am »

Someone else will start making them, mostly.
Now it will get bought by somebody who isn't completely incompetent (Kraft, Nestle, etc.), Twinkies will still be made, and the world will go on.

Many thanks! You have both greatly helped to put my mind at ease. I can now go to sleep without fear of being haunted by terrible nightmares of a dark, joyless world devoid delicious cream-filled sponge cakes.

I want to try a twinkie. don't sell them here, though.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all day. Starting now, I'm making it one of my personal goals in life to ensure that every individual on the planet gets the chance to try a Twinkie at least once in their lifetime.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:00 am »

I can now go to sleep without fear of being haunted by terrible nightmares of a dark, joyless world devoid delicious cream-filled sponge cakes.

You are aware that Hostes isn't the only ones who make these.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:26 am »

Strikes aren't necessarily about making money for yourself.  They're more about fighting to keep the same working conditions and pay for people in your sector.  As one employee of hostess put it

"We know we will probably lose our jobs, but if we accept these concessions, standards for bakers and other workers will keep going down. We are taking it on the chin for workers all over."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49853624

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:22 am »

Yes but people won't be eating their Twinkies so we should burn all unions

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:32 am »

I can now go to sleep without fear of being haunted by terrible nightmares of a dark, joyless world devoid delicious cream-filled sponge cakes.

You are aware that Hostes isn't the only ones who make these.

I'm sure there are others, but I feel confident in saying that Hostess is without a doubt the primary supplier of them. With Twinkies out of the equation, I simply don't see how the other companies would be able to fulfill the demand. Cream-filled sponge cakes would soon become a rare and much fought-over resource, which would inevitably end up being the spark that ignites World War III.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

which would inevitably end up being the spark that ignites the second American Civil War.
FTFY. Most people outside of the US don't have twinkies, so you'll be mostly busy fighting each other.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2012, 09:17:57 am »

Luckly Canada is Spared since our main supplier of cream filled sponge cake is not Hostes (Twinkies arn't that popular here freekishly)

America sure loves some ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL AND DISGUSTING THINGS!!! like Peeps.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:53 am »

which would inevitably end up being the spark that ignites the second American Civil War.
FTFY. Most people outside of the US don't have twinkies, so you'll be mostly busy fighting each other.

But don't you see? That would only make it worse. The people of other countries would hunger more than ever for the enchanting taste of cream-filled sponge cakes once news spread of their severe scarcity. Governments would lose control of their populations as the streets became crowded by hordes upon hordes of cream-starved savages!!

Luckly Canada is Spared since our main supplier of cream filled sponge cake is not Hostes (Twinkies arn't that popular here freekishly)

That would only make it a more irresistible target.

None would be spared...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 09:33:08 am »

Then just eat more Peeps.

The most disgusting of all American foods.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 09:37:24 am »

Twinkies? Hostes? Peeps?
I'm wondering now just how much of our food is Australian only... Do you guys have:
Mars bars?
Wagon Wheels?
Cherry Ripe?
Bounties?
Chickos?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6