Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: A quick summary of the Hostess debacle  (Read 4631 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: A quick summary of the Hostess debacle
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:15 am »

Then just eat more Peeps.

The most disgusting of all American foods.
Do you sincerely mean that, Neonivek? Is your perception of life so grim and unsatisfying that you could honestly feel that way about sugar-coated marshmallows shaped like adorable little ducklings? If so, I will be sure to pray for you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:05 am »

Mars bars and their other various chocolate bars are most likely a thing in 'murrica. The rest, I do not know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:59 am »

Mars bars and their other various chocolate bars are most likely a thing in 'murrica. The rest, I do not know.

America has Wagon Wheels. Called Moon pies in the USA and Jos Louis in Canada.

Also yes I do think Peeps are that bad.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 02:59:38 pm »

The U.S. has Mars bars but they aren't real Mars bars. They have nuts in them or something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:45 pm »

Peeps are the most disgusting thing ever. They're diabetes in a box.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »

The U.S. has Mars bars but they aren't real Mars bars. They have nuts in them or something.
Those are called Snickers.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 04:17:11 pm »

Then just eat more Peeps.

The most disgusting of all American foods.
Oh come on, tell that to your Cadbury Creme Eggs. :P

Twinkies? Hostes? Peeps?
I'm wondering now just how much of our food is Australian only... Do you guys have:
Mars bars? Yes.
Wagon Wheels? What?
Cherry Ripe? I Don't even...
Bounties? Um, occasionally I think? I looked it up and no I've never seen them before.
Chickos? Nope.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 06:12:31 pm »

I have never seen Mars bars for sale on either the East Coast (Boston & New York) or the West Coast (LA). Only saw them when I was in Asia.

I don't see why people are so upset that one of the causes of heart disease has been eradicated (temporarily). Accept your new, slightly less fattening food industry!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2012, 06:14:06 pm »

Dunno if it's the same ones as in Australia, but they sell mars bars down here in Forida. So, something called the same thing, at least, is on the east coast :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »

This is the stuff, right? I don't see them very often, and I think they used to be more common on grocery store shelves in the past than they are now, but I've definitely seen these on the west coast of the USA before.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

If you want nougat, caramel and a chocolate shell, just get a Milky Way.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

Americans don't have Coffee Crisps. I was utterly shocked when I first discovered this.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 07:00:47 pm »

Re: Unions again.

There are definitely some bad unions. Unions that push things too far. Unions that are in the pocket of the corporation. Unions that do more for the union leaders than the workers.

There are some very good unions too, those still do amazing things sometimes and still help protect the workers from the constant pressure from above. Both of my parents have been helped out by their unions on several occasions and odds are they would be in worse positions without them. That's enough of an example for me to at least give any union that might operate in an occupation I hold, a chance. I reserve the right to drop out if I decide they're one of the bad ones(a decision I will put much research into, avoiding propaganda where possible), but I feel they should be given a chance at least.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 07:22:09 pm »

Americans don't have Coffee Crisps. I was utterly shocked when I first discovered this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Coffee crisps", eh? Looks extremely similar to our Kit Kar bars, but with more wafer and less chocolate. So probably more reasonable to take in the morning regularly or the like, but fundamentally having a similar taste. We do at least have coffee cake here, that's something.

Anyway, yeah I think mars bars have been mostly phased out by Milky Ways here, since we do have some other Mars products- or at least I think we do. Man, I really miss when Mike & Ikes were made by Mars instead of Just Born. They were totally better back then, or at least my younger, more sweet-toothed self was very disappointed with the "now with more fruit flavor" Mike & Ikes that took over. I didn't figure out until later that it was actually a change in manufacturer.

Re: Unions again.

There are definitely some bad unions. Unions that push things too far. Unions that are in the pocket of the corporation. Unions that do more for the union leaders than the workers.

There are some very good unions too, those still do amazing things sometimes and still help protect the workers from the constant pressure from above. Both of my parents have been helped out by their unions on several occasions and odds are they would be in worse positions without them. That's enough of an example for me to at least give any union that might operate in an occupation I hold, a chance. I reserve the right to drop out if I decide they're one of the bad ones(a decision I will put much research into, avoiding propaganda where possible), but I feel they should be given a chance at least.
Now, I don't really know the circumstances surrounding the strike. I will say though, that Hostess decided to take their ball and leave after one week of strikes rather than at all considering (so it would seem) improving workers' wages, does not speak well of their leadership. It certainly would appear unlikely that the strikes forced their hand into bankruptcy, at any rate.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »

Having had Coffee Krisp and Kit Kat, they're nothing a-like.

For, Coffee Krisp has a very... distinct flavour. Can't really put my finger on it.

OH WAIT. It's the coffee. Doi.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6