Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow stockpiles to be placed on top of (edit: any walkable non-"filled" tiles)?  (Read 1129 times)

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Being able to stockpile on top of a hatch - or door, floodgate, bridge, etc; - possibly, even over empty space for extra usefulness - would make some things a lot easier, with regards to vertical transport of goods and making falling-object traps that can be automatically reloaded from safety. We can already do some of this with dumping and clever zone usage, but it's kludgy and leads to a lot more management and mistakes than what would be preferable.
For instance, a one tile sand bag+charcoal stockpile set up on a hatch over a drop down to a glass furnace. Put a pressure plate a couple tiles away from it, and you have an automatic supply chute that keeps your furnace stocked.
For another instance, something similar that holds lead bars, automatically supplied by minecart, right over your entranceway and also connected to a pressure plate. Who needs Stone Fall traps?
If we could stockpile over empty space, it would function like a dump zone garbage chute, except that we wouldn't have to manually designate everything that we want dumped (and manually unforbid it if we want to use it again), and it could be supplied with minecarts and wheelbarrows.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:56:44 pm by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Allow stockpiles to be placed on top of hatches.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »

Seems a bit...I dunno, restrictive and stuff. Why just hatches?
We can use mine arts for this, and anyways this seems most useful for quantum stockpiling, something Toady isn't likely to go out of his way to do.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:36:54 pm »

It's not for just hatches, that was simply the first thing I thought of.

To make it simple, I just think it'd be nice to be able to put a specific thing or type of thing in a specific place, without excessive micromanagement that detracts from the game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:38:42 pm by C27 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:02 pm »

So, put stockpiles on buildings.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »

Well, maybe "any walkable tiles that aren't already full of something"? How to define that restriction might be difficult, though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just let stockpiles and buildings coexist, that's the big thing.
Sig

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »

Well, maybe "any walkable tiles that aren't already full of something"? How to define that restriction might be difficult, though.

I don't know why you scrapped empty space, it's the most useful part of the suggestion. It's an obvious way to get that lumber from the surface twenty levels lower in your fortress.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

The stockpile over empty space seems to be mechanically similar to using minecart dump, for empty space, without the minecart. Maybe a way to link stockpiles to zones? That could be used for automatic animal dumpers if pitting could be linked up :D

I disagree with door and floodgate being allowed to have stockpile drawn on them, because they need to close. And they both get blocked by stuff in the way, so might as well rip them out anyway.

Other things, such as bridge and hatches, could work with stockpile over it. But they'd be considered unusable since there are things in the way, at least for hatches, without mechanical operation, from how I see it working. What about cabinets and chests, could they be a semi-replacement for bins and without the hauling issues associated with them currently?

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The stockpile over empty space seems to be mechanically similar to using minecart dump, for empty space, without the minecart. Maybe a way to link stockpiles to zones? That could be used for automatic animal dumpers if pitting could be linked up :D

I disagree with door and floodgate being allowed to have stockpile drawn on them, because they need to close. And they both get blocked by stuff in the way, so might as well rip them out anyway.
Errr, it'd be useful if the stockpile was on the top of the doors/floodgates, not in the same space as them but one level above, so anything on the stockpile square falls into the door/gate's space when opened. That's what I meant to say. The idea's mainly for trap usage in the case of doors, but floodgates can possibly be useful too.

Other things, such as bridge and hatches, could work with stockpile over it. But they'd be considered unusable since there are things in the way, at least for hatches, without mechanical operation, from how I see it working. What about cabinets and chests, could they be a semi-replacement for bins and without the hauling issues associated with them currently?
Yeah, chests/coffers/cabinets would be very nice if they would function as larger but immobile constructed bins.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:01:00 am by C27 »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Errr, it'd be useful if the stockpile was on the top of the doors/floodgates, not in the same space as them but one level above, so anything on the stockpile square falls into the door/gate's space when opened. That's what I meant to say. The idea's mainly for trap usage in the case of doors, but floodgates can possibly be useful too.

Yeah, chests/coffers/cabinets would be very nice if they would function as larger but immobile constructed bins.

Ahh, I understand what you mean relating to door and floodgates now! I've not tried to use those as trick traps ( outside of accidental magma/water, haha ), but I believe my comment of being able to link stockpile to a zone so dwarves will keep taking and dumping it could work with that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Linking zones to stockpiles would fox most of the issues. If the zones worked like dump zones, they'd be able to do it all. So...yeah, that makes sense.

Ohl and now I'm going to make a trap that drops stuff on the heads of anyone who walks through it. Maybe water. Maybe magma.
Sig

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Linking zones to stockpiles would fox most of the issues. If the zones worked like dump zones, they'd be able to do it all. So...yeah, that makes sense.
I guess that is, in fact, what I was suggesting. I didn't think of that solution immediately.

Ohl and now I'm going to make a trap that drops stuff on the heads of anyone who walks through it. Maybe water. Maybe magma.
How about both? Or better, combine the two in midair so you have a falling obsidian cube.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That requires mechanical complexity that would be obvious. No, just a hole in an empty reservoir, with a door underneath, then floor said reservoir and pray no dwarf wanders through the door.
Sig