Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having not done the whole storytime thing much, how was it?

1-3 horrible!
- 0 (0%)
3-5 bad.
- 0 (0%)
6-7 mediocraty at its finest...
- 3 (27.3%)
7-8 good.
- 3 (27.3%)
9-10 great actually!
- 5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!  (Read 16090 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 04:01:23 pm »

I would ask for help improving the story now, If you'd be so kind as to give it with blunt honesty.  No point writing this if I cannot improve in some manner.  Syntax and technical detail is cool, but writing style is cooler.

This request applies for all future posts and all means of contact listed here on this site.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:51:25 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »

Lisid walks outside to see the the sun already well behind the ramparts.  Walking outside the keep on unsteady legs, Lisid breathes the fresh air, basking in it.  Was air always this brisk, clean, and pure?  Surely not.

Walking to the first shop outside the keep, Lisid has to stop the Bonecrafter from closing up.  "Please, good sir, I have this loot that I wish to sell, at a discount even."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Whether the discounted goods or the promise of more trade excited him, Lisid cared not.  He unloaded his goods, asked for 2500 coins and was satisfied with about one fifth that.  About-facing, Lisid walks back to the keep, Axelass in tow.

In the keep, Lisid explores the other half of the ramparts he never saw the top of.  He finds two more soldiers guarding it.  After a brief discussion, Lisid mentions their fallen comrades.  Visibly shaken, the soldier ask to come along, and Lisid agrees to ask the lord.  The lord, after hearing the story of Lisid's sewer cleansing, agrees.  "The targets must be slain at all costs, and the excess cleansing of the sewers is a great help to us all," affirms the lord.

Lisid sinks back into the den of evil no more than 5 hours after he left them, rearmed and re-manned.

[Just a bit of maintainance today.  I still have two of the four starting directions to explore.  I hate to leave quests unfinished; especially in this game.]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:41:09 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »

[Okay, I savescummed to look at where I was in the world.  Its only approximate by the range of the civ, but its a start.]

Spoiler: Pesor Mistrum, year 10 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:47:49 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »

[Ahh, saw this messin around.  No more updates today]

PKs DF Mod!

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 06:51:29 pm »

I would ask for help improving the story now, If you'd be so kind as to give it with blunt honesty.  No point writing this if I cannot improve in some manner.  Syntax and technical detail is cool, but writing style is cooler.

This request applys for all future posts and all means of contact listed here on this site.

It is really easy to read, I do not think you need to change much if anything. The screenshots are great too, you use enough of them to follow what is going on easily.

Can I ask pisskop how do you get your screenshots? I know of pressing f5 to copy, but how do you save them so they can be exported?

Cheers,
:) Snake_Eyes

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 07:17:16 pm »

Just a little utility I found on CNET, after it was recommended for other things.

Im certain there are better programs out there...  I'm rather clueless as to some aspects of computers, but a fairly advanced and knowledgable user in others. . .
PKs DF Mod!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »

If you copy a screenshot with f5 or "print screen" you should be able to paste them into a basic image editor like Paint.

Most copies of modern Windows OS also come with a thing called "Snipping Tool" in the Accessories folder in the All Programs folder, for capturing and saving just a section of the screen (click and drag, boys, click and drag).

If you're on some other OS I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how to do it, but googling for "screenshot [your OS]", "[your OS] equivalent of print screen" or, perhaps most importantly, "[your OS] equivalent of Snipping Tool" should turn up a native (built in/not third party) method if any exists, and/or multiple third-party programs if that's all you can get. (Of course, if you can get native whole screenshot but not sections, you could just use whatever basic image editor you save the pic with to crop it too. Sometimes one or another thing is just easier though!)

Just my two cents as a computer nerd. ;^)

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more examples of how to survive and thrive on the bogeys that infest the night.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:18 am »

[I am is sorry about grabbing more homies then.  Ill make this as quick as possible.]

Lisid performs a final check of his inventory.  He finds this:

well, how does one forget they have several projectiles stuck within them?  In any case, Lisid sparks an idea.  What if he had a little 'fun', and did science at the same time?

Removing an arrow from his chest, Lisid grunts as his blood comes squirting out of his chest.  May as well remove the rest now, too.  With the bolts removed, Lisid creeps back to the left pathway.  There was another elf there.  Somehow it felt right.  Lisid throws the four missiles at him, incapacitating him.  A simple kick finished the elf.  Lisid grabs the elf's steel spear, deja vu?

Finishing his check of his inventory, he finds his belongings all in order.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:29:55 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 12:36:55 pm »

Searching south, Lisid finds nothing but a door.

Lisid finds one viable path, one which leads through a one Urist wide room.  In this hall a veteran speardwarf charges forward, steel shield raised high.  It lets out a bloodcurling scream, spear raised to its elbow height.  Stopping short in a stutter upon seeing Lisid, the dwarf's eyes gleam with a deadly sheen.  This one knew death.

Dodging and parrying tens of blows from Lisid and his new swordsman, the speardwarf has little success himself.  Its a stalemate, until Lisid grabs the dwarf around the neck and wrings.  The dwarf is easy prey unconcious.  But the swordsman, in a froth of bloodlust, acts like a dick.

Taking his new steel toy, Lisid crepps forth into the dark.  Showing surprising complexity, the tunnels wind, twist, and turn.  Losing himself in the architecture, Lisid is only brought back to reality by the sounds of war.  Where did his team go?. . .

Whereever it was, the team was losing...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:32:12 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »

The noise came to the right.

The room to his right contained an unknown amount of bandits, and his swordsman blindly rushed into it.  Inside the swordsman was engaged in melee with a pikeman, hammerman and  axeman.  Running up to the gateway, Lisid jabs the axeman defending the entrance to death.  Running inside, Lisid struggles to see through the dark and count the amount of movement.  There was much of it, and Lisid reasons that the swordsman was probably prone by now, so he chucks his three silver spears at whatever is moving around above three feet tall.

Spoiler: Combat_Log_01 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat_Log_02 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat_Log_03 (click to show/hide)

Removing his Steel Shield, Lisid prepares to charge the line.  The swordsman was not in good shape, and perhaps his courage would inspire the two who remained in the other room like cowards. "Why axelasss?  Why bowman? You expertese and arrows respectively would prove invaluable," Lisid curses.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:34:27 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 03:18:03 pm »

Charging into the fray, Lisid counts four left alive.  So a band of five.  "hunh."

Taking out the wounded maceman first, Lisid hears the axelass sing a war-cry.  Good, they did come to help after all.

Blocking a maul, Lisid takes advantage of the recoil a hammerman experienced to strike him down.  Two down.  Disabling a pikeman's weapon with a stab to the shoulder, Lisid fights his way to the last uninjured bandit.  Too late, he realizes that his heroic charge had failed.

No matter, these men must pay.  Charging the last hammerman, Lisid overcompensates for his momentum.  Luckily, the crossbowman strikes the hammerman in the neck, crippling him for the rest of his pathetic existence.  Vengeance was at least his.

Spoiler: Skillset (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Killlist (click to show/hide)
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 03:47:28 pm »

Telling his team to remain quiet, Lisid examines the items in the room.  Nothing but bulky trinkets and inferior arms.  Who would take the time to stash a donkey bone scepter?

Walking back to the swordsman, Lisid delivers a short eulogy for his fallen comrade.  Then its back to bloody business as usual.

"Listen up, now.  These boys were young, and have not too much in the way of loot," Lisid comments, cutting the coin purse of a mutilated bandit.  "They may only be the forward watch for a larger, more experienced group, so stay on point.  They were too close to the entrance of the sewers to be independent and so squishy."

The team nods with blank faces.  He wonders how much they actually understood.  His face must have been disapproving, because they attempt to squat down into a three point stance Like Lisid had.  They managed to look like bumbling children, Lisid notes with an honest smile.  Posing outside the outgoing door, Lisid opens it with a caution he is immediately glad to have used.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:13:28 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 05:12:27 pm »

Scrambling backwards, Lisid manages to parry the deadly whip of the lasher!  The crossbowman shoots the lasher, but his aim is off and the shot lands in its leg, causing it to crash to the floor with a string of curses.

Quickly silencing the profaning lasher, Lisid sneaks into the room once more, and sees three bandits looking for the cause of the commotion.  A maceman, spearman, and bowman.  damn bowmen are almost as bad as the lashers.

Before he can pull out a spear, the spearman spots Lisid's silhouette and charges, forcing Lisid out of the room.  The crossbowman was waiting behind the corner with a loaded bow, and with a satisfying thunk the spearman would trouble Lisid no longer.  The maceman, however appeared in the doorway directly after looking for retribution.  Such repayment never comes, though, as the maceman is first pinned to the wall with a bolt and then stabbed in the head, neutralizing him.

The bowman and whatever else was in the room awaited. . .

Sneaking into the room, Lisid didn't see him.  Only by looking carefully could he see that the bowman was in fact hiding behind a pillar, waiting to ambush Lisid.  Clever punk...

So Lisid takes back out his shield and creeps forward to engage the bowman face-to-face.  going around the pillar, Lisid blocks the incoming arrow and retaliates, forcing the bowman to scramble backwards, exposing its head to Lisid's crossbowman!

Securing the rest of the room, Lisid wonders briefly how they had managed to stash this much.  He had to fight his way over mountains of goods, and sorting through it would be trouble.  Calling out to his teammates, Lisid tells them he needs help.  But he cannot find axelass.  Where was she?  He had lost sight of her directly before the last scuffle.  He wanders back to the other room, searching the corpses and fearing the worst.

Calling out to her in a rather loud voice, Lisid was actually loud enough to earn a chastising reponse from the crossbowman.  His heart started to race.

His senses tingled, and he feared she wandered into the wrong room...

Opening the door, Lisid finds her bloody corpse at his feet...  his heart filled with anguish, and he dropped to his knees, heedless of his surroundings.  He barely registered the thwack of the crossbow behind him, the grunt of the elf in front of him, and the messy trail it left as it crawled out of the room in desperation.  His world was shattered.  She was the savior of his life, and yet he was unable to repay the favor.  Why had she strayed so far from him?  What had possessed her to wander around alone?

Well, he would take that elf apart one piece at a time, he vowed that much.  Pulling himself up, Lisid sneaks his way over to the door the maggot crawled through, and heard as he entered the room the elf reporting to a bandit named Imush Temptlashes.  Temptlashes... that was one of his marks!  Momentarily forgetting the mounds of loot in the other room, Lisid presses in for his kill. . .

[I am is done. . .]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:22:36 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »

Sneaking forth into the room, Lisid finds empty space.  The crossbowman behind him, however, found that murdering sneak of an elf first, and incapacitated its leg.  Spamming bolts into its rotten hide, the Elf is left to crawl towards the unseen back of the room.

As the elf crawls away like a worm the mark, Temptlashes, rushes forward to smite the crossbowman.  Seemingly oblivious of Lisid, Lisid has time to line a shot at its shield arm.  With a powerful thrust, Lisid fractures the elbow joint, rendering it useless!

PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 02:02:53 pm »

The boss had not yet seen him, but that didn't stop him from instinctively jumping away from Lisid.  No mind, Lisid primes his throwing arm and tosses a spear underarm style!  It flies off in an arc and lands in the boss' right arm, rendering it completely harmless!

Picking up his thrown spear, Lisid dual-wields spears in pursuit of the dwarf.  The dwarf and elf are scrambling to be the first out of the room, Lisid notes in an internal mocking tone.  Where is the honor among these men?  Tossing the silver spear in his right hand, Lisid lands the kill shot on the dwarf

and closes in to engage the vomiting elf.  Heh, vomiting is the body's way of fighting death.  Let's see if it works worth a lick. . .

Nope, doesn't stave off death one moment.  The room cleared, Lisid finds he had little satisfaction in his task.  It was easy.  These men were soft and undeserving of the housepeople's fear.  But ther was still the matter of the loot they had  collected. . .
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5