Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having not done the whole storytime thing much, how was it?

1-3 horrible!
- 0 (0%)
3-5 bad.
- 0 (0%)
6-7 mediocraty at its finest...
- 3 (27.3%)
7-8 good.
- 3 (27.3%)
9-10 great actually!
- 5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!  (Read 16089 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogeykillin' Adventure!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:35:55 pm »

Sneaking through the rest of the sunset, Lisid finds his fears largely unfounded.  No boogeyman comes from the shadows to drag him to hell.  Perhaps they cannot find him when he is sneaking?  (they can't, btw, as long as you are sneaking before the sunset.  Just don't fast travel or sleep).  Whatever the case may be he hurries on, at a sluggish 566 speed (waaaaay too slow if when they come).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lisid is almost back to the village.  A short stroll and he will be able to sleep with the peace of mind of a job well done.  Outside of the housemen's ugly structures, of course.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:00:23 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lisid Wordylions: An ASCII boogeykilling Adventure! (in progress)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:57 pm »

Lisid stands up and walks a short distance, confident in the rest of his journey.

drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lisid Wordylions: An ASCII boogeykilling Adventure! (in progress)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »

[I did this yesterday, but did not upload for the 504s]  [I got 504ed when I tried to update this, ha]

Walking back to the village at a leisurely pace, Lisid finds nothing more than shadows in the night.  Upon finding a house, Lisid builds a long campfire, approximately three Urists in length.  He warms up his frozen dwarf blood and drinks it.  Salty and full of nutrients.

As a desire to sleep envelopes him, Lisid drops the largest quiver to use as a pillow and settles down; pushing the snow around him to create a foxhole of sorts.  Daylight would come in a few hours, and with it nosy children and nervous adults.  Adjusting his spear so that it was within easy reach of his left hand, he felt his thoughts dim and list lazily towards oblivion.  Hopefully nothing would bother him...

Waking up with a rush, Lisid surveys the land around him.  His fires went out less than an hour ago: he culd still see the embers glowing faintly.  Getting up, he notices he used his right hand for support.  It still hurt, but, should be usable...  Examining his body he finds a few scars, but nothing noteworthy.

His journey was not done.  He would be known for his weak continence if he went back like a craven dog now, trophies or not.  "Hey, here comes Lisid the Quick Fleeing Avalanche", all the children would sing as they jumped and played.  No, that was not a befitting fate for him.

Walking into the administrator's house, Lisid informs the Administrator that the task is done.  The Cheese Maker, clearly the spokesperson for the administrator, steps forward: "We will check into your claims.  When we can verify that you have indeed slain the bandit in question we will grant you a reward of 30 silver coins.  You are free to continue to sleep outside until such a time.  That is all; you are dismissed."

"I want my reward now.  I have earned it by providing my service to you.  Honour your bargain."

"We will do no such thing.  Trust must be earned, and all we saw you do was disappear for a day.  You will recieve your reward when we check your claims for ourselves.  Go now."

Lisid was going to get violent if things kept this way.  Rather than stick around with this ungrateful lot, Lisid walks out of the administrator's hut and into a peasant's.  "Where is the nearest supply store?,"  he quickly demanded.

"South, sir.  Rabbit lashed is almost a days walk south.  I heard of your deed, and believe you.  I shall spread word of your success to trader and gossiper alike."

Thanking the kind milker, Lisid bids him farewell and starts his journey.  The housepeople's store will buy the greenskinned elves' armour, and give Lisid a chance to choose proper and matching equipment.

Lisid walked at a steady pace until noon-ish, when he came upon a large stone structure.  There were men with bows upon its roof.  It looked like a military compound.

Inside, Lisid ate a hasty lunch while absorbing the majesty around him.  Gone were the holes and poverty of the hamlet, replaced instead with a different kind of poverty altogether.  The men and women here were not poor, yet their leisure was scarce... an abstinence of sorts.  Training was taking place in the yard, and Lisid watched with wonder.  This was organized in a way not familiar to his peoples.  Walking inside, he was curtly greeted.  Lisid told them of his journey, and asked to see the lord of the compound.

"This way, then" the guard formally spat.

The lord of the compound turned out to be a lady, a rather snobbish lady who told Lisid that while she admired his mission, she had no use for peasants.  She gave him a pair of Rope Reed Gloves, and sent him on his way.

Disappointed, Lisid journeyed onward.  No sense getting upset, the spirit of nature would show him the true path.

Walking a few kilometers, Lisid finds a river.  Eager to feel the soothing touch of the cool water Lisid Jumps in.  The splash attracts a predatory fish.

In self-defense, Lisid slays the fish, but finds it rather fun.  The blood of the monster flows downstream as the Lamprey is bitten, bashed, and stabbed.

After the fish finished bleeding out, Lisid grabs its body and swims out the water, shaking the excess liquid from his equipment.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:50:34 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[If I forget to mention, NEVER let the boogeys maintain a grasp on you.  No matter what, all they can do if they are vanilla boogeys is bite and bludgeon... biting and shaking is baaaaad][And yes, Im boogeykilling now... trying to decide if running towards a house, spending the night running from them, or just killing them with melee of projectiles is best...]
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gutting the fish with his spear, Lisid eats the brains while pocketing the majority of the muscle.  He will eat that later.  He continues on ignoring the fresh bruises he has aquired on 40% of his body.

Traveling quickly, Lisid comes to a small hamlet just short of Rabbitlashed just as the dusk sets in.  He decides to sleep upon a hill for the duration of the night...  What could go wrong?  The houses were in sight of him.  He quickly prepares camp:  an L-shaped fire four Urists area.  Making a pillow of his quivers again, Lisid hunkers down and sleeps soundly... for  a few hours, at least.  He awakens with a start, hand on spear and clutching his waterskin full of food  :o .

Finding nothing he walks to the edge of the fire.  That's when he receives a nasty kick to the face, one that rips up his nose.

With his nose gushing blood blindly Lisid thrusts his spear forth.  Whatever hit him jumps backwards out of the light and stares at him, eyes glowing with malice.  Lisid's worst fears are realized as the skinnless insect creeps forth to attack with its sharp eyeteeth!  Lisid the Quick Avalanche ( 8) ) instinctively kicks out, knocking the boogeyman backwards and off the ledge they were standing upon.  It flies away, Lisid notes before seeing others, different monsters crawling towards him... five, he counted.  This was going to be some night; Lisid thinks as he removes his cumbersome quiver of ammo and drops it to the ground...

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:49:45 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although he seemed to be faring well against the abominations, Lisid found them incredibly agile.  They kept biting him, apparently attempting to eat him alive.  Every time they tried to sink their teeth into him he forced himself to shove them off of him and step back.  In fact, he found backpedaling to be ideal.  He would backpedal or run until one of them gained too much ground on him and then thrust his spear at them in hopes of killing them.  Most of the time he missed, but occasionally he succeeded in a lucky strike.  Wear them down with attrition, he thought.

After an hour of combat, Lisid thought himself winning

As the night deepened and the hour grew later, Lisid found himself tiring.  All of the boogey's attacks slowly bruised most of his body, and one eye was swollen shut.  He was also fatigued.  Although he knew simple tricks to rest while moving, the boogman's tenacity and stubborn refusal to quit chase was adding up.  Hopefully he could start killing a few to ease his burden some.

Then it happened.  At first Lisid didn't realize it happened, he thought the moon and stars disappeared.  But as the boogeymen kept pummeling him he realized:  He was blind!  How could he hope to best five skinless horrors if he couldn't see them!  It was hard enough to hit them when he could see them!

Things looked pretty bad for Lisid... Should he attempt to find the house and hope they might help rescue him?  Or should he blindly stumble around the wooded land and hope to avoid a fatal fall or worse fate?

[Of note, his spears skill has definitely improved during this fight.  So has wrestling and dodging and armor user.  Boogeymen are an excellent non-cheaty way to level up.  I often sit directly outside of a hut and sleep.  I level up and when something like this happens, I run inside to safety.  The boogeys vanish when you go inside.]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:50:12 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »

Lisid panics, and runs towards where he feels his camp is.  If he could find a way to open his eyes...

Lisid was running along when he slams into a tree!  There was no tree in camp!  Well, no matter, lighting the tree on fire, Lisid wastes valuable time.  No sooner then he felt the heat of a raging fire did he also feel a kick to the upper back, right in between the shoulder!  Pulling himself up Lisid runs directly away from the blow and hopes the fire bought him some time...

Spoiler: Note Inside (click to show/hide)

It worked, for about a minute [I forgot they teleported to you when you escape them, and I can't see them to avoid them, sooo... would have worked, but I am bloody blind!], but then he feels the rain of blows that signifies boogeymen.  Running away from them, he endures a hail of bites that threats to take him down.  Lisid sees pictures his life flash before his eyes mind, as death was surely apporaching.

Only when he slammed into a house did he find the strength to clear his mind.  If he could find the door before they finished him...

Tracing the building with his left hand, urged on with blow upon bite, Lisid fails to notice the gap in the wood where a portal would be.  He unknowingly shots right past it!  Its only when he begins to feel blows coming from the front of him does he realize they snuck around the side of the building to flank him.

Turning around, he feels the blows coming from all angles.  How horrible to die in scuh a way!  In a fit of sudden anger, Lisid shoves his spear out and whollops any offending monsters in front of him.  He imagines himself running around the hurt boogeyman and this time (thankfully) Lisid finds the door and practically kicks it open.  Consequences be damned, he thought, hoping his bloated face and bloodstained armour would more frighten any would-be-defenders of the hut.  In the silence that follows, he realizes two things:  The residents are somehow still soundly sleeping, and the boogeymen had been laughing the whole time!  Creepy..., but only in the silence of the night could he reflect upon it...

[I totally bailed.  He was not going to survive the night like that.  I had purposely gone around the building in an attempt to run further into the village (which is on the left), but they started really messing with his spine, so I cancelled that quiet hastily.  The boogeys vanish the moment you go inside.  If, however, for some reason allys are outside, they will not vanish, but fight pet, stray, or even human/mer.  They are not officially your companions, they are 3rd parties who happen to not want you dead.  3rd parties who are probably nothing more than distractions.  Soon to be dead distractions.]
[So, my bad, I bailed to save his life.  I've actually grown fond of Lisid, and will be saddened by his eventual death...]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:52:04 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 03:15:54 pm »

Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: attributes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: health report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: description page (click to show/hide)

[I am done playig for now]
PKs DF Mod!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Lisid Wordylions the Quick Avalanches: An ASCII Boogey Survival Guide!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

Holy carp. I've never heard of a blind adventurer. Lisid is going to be scarred like crazy tomorrow.

You seem to know a lot of neat tricks for fighting bogeymen. Is there any reason why you didn't charge them? That helped me a lot in the past.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 07:09:11 pm »

[Luckily, he isn't.  I was a little worried when you posted, but the eyes were blue like I had thought.  He was curb stomped to be sure, but he's not worse for the wear.  Missing teeth are the only permanent injury from the boogeys.]

[I do charge them, and I actually forgot to mention that, partly because everybody seemed to know it, so I took it as common knowledge.  I also try not to let too many of them beat my adventurer on any given turn.  Ill take an extra hit moving away from the group so as to face them one on one.  But, if I can I definately try to charge them over.  Near as I can figure they are only the size of a medium dog.]

[HAPPY THANKGIVING!  Wish you all well, and a better one than me.  I just had ghetto Spanish thanksgiving with my mother's common-law husband's ex-wife.  They all hate each other (my mother hates the ex especially) but do it for the daughter, who is 10 now...]
[My inner ear is swollen and numb, too :( .  From a concert.  That was before the obnoxiously loud Spanish musicks.  WHY IS IT SO BLOODY LOUD WHEN WE ARE EATING?!!!]

[Anywho, I played a bit more, and it turns out fun is indeed on the way]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:52:55 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:02 am »

Although disgruntled at the apparent deafness of the housemen (how could they be so, when he practically broke down the house?  What if he was a monster?), Lisid takes time to calm down.  Thinking more rashly, he realizes he dare not go back outside, but he also didn't want to walk around the an unfamiliar place blind...

He decided to curl up and nurse his wounds. Hardly thirty seconds later, he feels a crossbow pressed against his head.
"Don't move, or I turn your noogin into pulp" came a shrill voice.

"Sir, I mean no trouble!  Look upon my face.  Skinless monsters attacked me in the night!  Through I fought valiantly, they alas proved too much.  My wounds are a testament to my struggle."

"Hunh, well you give me one good reason I shouldn't turn you back out to them.  They always get their meal, and I've never seen them back down from a mark.  You screwed up, and if I let you stay... I can't risk it."

"Listen sir, they are no longer here.  Ill give you a quiver of silver arrows, 25 if I remember.  Consider it payment."

After a terse moment of silence, the crossbow is removed from his head.  "I will expect the payment in the morning.  Until then don't try anything.  I am worse than any skinless hellspawn, keen yourself to that."

Grateful, Lisid promptly falls into a painful dreamless sleep...
And awakens to a throbbing all over his body.  Did he ever hurt!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:53:37 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:16 am »

The crossbowman, seeing him awake, nodded towards Lisid.  "You recover well enough."  Can hardly tell you got into a scuffle, excepting your fingers."

"Oh, these?", Liisd replys, holding up his hands.  "That's from a seperate incident, before the boogeymans.  Let me grab my quivers from my camp."

"I'll be accompying ya, if it's all the same."

Lisid walks out into the morning light.  It was good to see after that terrible night.  Walking to his camp, Lisid notes the riverhead of a stream, starting directly east of town.  He could have used the water to deter the boogeymen, damn.... (and you can)

"Here you go, sir.  I'll be off then, to Rabbitlashed now."

"Be off then.  Thank you for your business.  You are honorable if nothing else."

Speeding off towards Rabbitlashed, Lisid finds the journey uneventful if pleasant.  Arriving in town he sees a world he had not imagined existed.  So many were packed into such a small space.  How were they happy this way?  How could they dirty the snow so much?  Most of it was at least a sandy brown, if not a more disguisting yellow...

Reading each sign in turn, Lisid finds the words somewhat foreign and distasteful.  He is thankful he took the time to learn the housepeople's words, if only crudely.  It is common knowledge that their language was inferior, but the ease of communication both distinguished him as important and proved his ability to learn.  He bet most of these housepeoples didn't know their own language...

Finding the weaponshop, Lisid walks in to a smokey shop that smelled of copper.

"What have you got for sale, weaponworker?"

"Ahh, you mean weaponsmith, good sir.  I have a wide variety of finely forged and tempered copper, and some silver for the more discerning patrons."

Looking the polearms over, Lisid decides to try out a pike.
"This is the same mechanically as a spear?"  Lisid poses.

"Oh sure.  Its almost exactly like a spear.  Look how it looks like a spear."

"Fine, Ill buy your well crafted copper pike.  I like how it has rings of polar bear bones on the shaft.  I'll trade you a suit of finely crafted greenskin armour."

"Greenskin?  Oh, you mean goblin.  The civilized races include goblins, elves, dwarves, and humans, although several barbaric and pathetic races exist.  Did you know there are rumored to be mountain peoples who steal alcohol?  Or egg laying lizard-warriors?  They even have false gods!" (via my modding).

Lisid enjoys his conversation, and even pays over the coins he collected in his travels for the pike.  It is heavier than his spear, and clearly meant for two hands, but he would try it.  He now knew about the semi-civilized races, like the kobold lizardmen and the green goblins he mistook for elves.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:12:41 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 12:26:43 pm »

Feeling friendly with the weaponsmith, Lisid asks about the woes of the town.  The weaponsmsith informs him of two dwarves who took residence in the sewers under the city.  They are preported to raid the outskirts of town at nght, and so far nobody had organized a search party to clean the scum out.  Too many things were said to dwell within the sewer...

Thanking the weaponsmith one last time, Lisid starts out for the keep in the center of town.  the keep would know more of the scourges he was to eliminate.

Walking into the keep, Lisid goes to find the lord.  He flet he was being watched, and looking up at the ramparts he sees several eyes watching him, guards he thought.  Let them watch.

Walking to the third floor, Lisid asks the lord there for information and help forming a search party.  He would rid the evils of the sewer if the lord would lend him some men and allow him to keep all he could carry from the sewers.  The lord agrees after hearing Lisid the Quick Avalanches' ( 8) ) deeds.
  "You get three men, choosen from the battlements.  Go now and prove your worth."  Harsh.

Walking up the tower stairs, Lisid selects a bowman, an axelady, and a swordsman.  Surely worthy companions for his harrowing journey.

After briefly indtroducing himself and describing the lord's grant, Lisid discusses tactics and then procedes to the sewers.  What would await him there?

[This is where I should have stopped yesterday, but I had to play more.  Its too juicy, imo.  Dungeons are annoying, dark, the ai cheats, and you can never find your damn mark.  And I have two!]

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:13:47 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »

Climbing down the ladder into the sewers of Basementgloomy, Lisid drops down to all fours, hiding in the dank shadows which enveloped this place.  It smells worse than death in this place.  It was all the evils of the housepeoples dumped into one place.  No wonder scum would settle here.  No self-respecting creature would live here...

Taking the left immedietly after his descention, Lisid opens the door at the end of a short hall.  Inside is a lone elf standing watch; perhaps for one of the leaders he was to kill, Lisid vaguely hopes.

Running up to the elf and parrying its attack, Lisid strangles and stabs the immortal.  Ha, some thought.  Look how immortal it proved!

Checking its body, Lisid finds a shield and a steel spear.  Both would prove useful, so he took them.

Signaling back to his men to hurry up, they continue their trek into the dungeon...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:04:38 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 01:03:59 pm »

The next 90 minutes are full of nothing but false anticipation and wasted movements.  No other creature could be seen.  Corpses were there plenty, about half of them fresh enough to bear flesh.  Worse than their smell were the bite-marks.  Lisid shuddered to think of what made them.

Moving past the half-eaten corpses, Lisid travels downward.  Perhaps too far, Lisid begins to think...until he stumbles upon a room full of copper.  Copper swords, spears, armours, everything excepting gauntlets and boots.  Lisid finds himself a well fitting and well crafted copper mask and copper  greaves, and puts them on immediately.  He motions to his companions to do the same, but they gravely whisper that their contract does not permit such actions.  They are simply hired muscle to Lisid, and must act as a proper servant would.  Shame these men were but fuedal servants, Lisid laments...

Spoiler: forgot this one... (click to show/hide)

Not that he has too much time to lament.  In the next room, directly down the hall he finds what looks to be a raised gate.  dropping down to all fours again, Lisid sneaks into the room.  Tiny lizardfolk with copper arms were conversing casually in an odd tounge full of clicks and squeals, or at least they were until they spotted his less steathy team.  A fight immediately breaks out!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:55:55 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5