Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: smartphone gaming  (Read 2632 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: smartphone gaming
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

Ok two games I will suggest...
KNIGHTS OF PEN AND PAPPER. An RPG about a DnD game. Quite interesting.
A Bards Tale. If you missed this game in the past get it now. It runs great on the nexus. Takes a bit to get used to the contorls but its not a game based on twitch or anything like that. Also it has epic songs...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 03:13:10 pm »

I haven't found too many good games for Android outright. Most of them are, as mentioned above, pay money to win types with very little substance.

However, Android has at least one thing that the iOS does not: Emulators! I have SuperGNES, VGBA and GENPLUSDroid, enabling me to play all the great games of my youth with little hassle. AndroZip as a file manager so I can extract the games on the device with no problem. I do enjoy the wider variety of games on the Google Play store as opposed to the very bare amounts on iOS, but it means more to wade through to get to the better stuff.

If you're looking for Android native games, I've found some that are on deals for a much lower price, and usually just ports, but here's my list of at least decent games (and deals may not apply as of the time of this writing; World of Goo for 99 cents was a steal):

GTA III
World of Goo
Total War Battles
Plague Inc (a infect the world simulator)
Greed Corp
Dungeon Raid
Cut the Rope
Osmos HD
Infectionator
Bard's Tale
Global Outbreak (Kinda like a real time, time waster XCOM with zombies instead of aliens. Free, to boot.)
Survivalcraft (A bit better fleshed out than Minecraft's portable version, gets regular updates too)

And... that's about it. I have more free games, but rarely play them, due to occasionally getting hooked on a random GBA, SNES or Genesis game, like I currently am with Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The controls are a bit wonky at times with no physical buttons to guide me, though.

I'm hoping that they will port King of Dragon Pass to Android as well, since I had it on my iPod Touch but have since replaced that with my Galaxy S3 as a portable gaming fix.

My main issue with the current listing of games on the device is that most of the good ones are ports or hidden deeply under mounds of moronic games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Draw Something, not to mention the freemium games that make you pay in order to keep up with the rest of the players. You have to work fairly hard to find a gem in the huge number of terrible games.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 04:32:38 pm »

Survivalcraft (A bit better fleshed out than Minecraft's portable version, gets regular updates too)
I am really wanting to see something with this feel but with a more ''NOT MINECRAFT'' feel about it, I don't mean as in graphics but more in gameplay, when I first saw this game I was compleatly surrounded by the feeling of it just being Minecraft. I want more Survival then what Minecraft offers and I was hoping that this game would do that for me but so far I haven't seen it in the updates and such that I have looked over. Unless you can tell me that this game stops being Minecraft after the graphics then it would be a while before I even think about buying it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:38 pm »

..moronic games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Draw Something...

>:(

Fruit ninja was decent (at least above World of Goo IMO), and draw something was a daily play for me before Zynga cashed in on it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:33 am »

King of Dragon Pass is available, great game on a phone actually.

Starbase Orion was mentioned, I will second it because the devs keep updating it and adding good features.

Actiony games I really enjoyed jetpack joyride for a while.
I will second King of Dragon Pass I heard about it on this forum, and damn. I realized some time ago my measure for a great, rather than a good game, is when I begin to dream about it and it bleeds through into reality.

I went to a conference last week and only had KofDP on my ipad to pass the time. As a result I had several thoughts when I wondered what my ancestors would think, considered a divination and worried about a tribal moot immediately upon waking up. It is a fantastic game
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 03:01:30 am »

My favorite android game so far has been majesty.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 05:00:45 am »

You should pick up the Humble Bundle for Android that's going on right now. Lots of good games!
If you miss it I've got a copy up for grabs in the Bay12 25 Days of Christmas Mega Giveaway!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:03:42 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 05:45:58 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Heh. Smartphone gaming.

Its a joke,

Actually i like the nethack ports for iOS though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:49:50 am by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 01:36:44 pm »

I don't get how you guys can have the patience to play roguelikes on a touchphone. It's like eating rice with a toothpick.

I liked a lot of the recommendations here though. Dungeon Raid is my new favorite, and worth every cent.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 [2]