Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Indiefort Countdown Bundle and Winter Sales!  (Read 6873 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

You should put the link on the main page!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, now I'm really confused and a bit disappointed.

This thread was my first exposure to Gamersgate.

I'm interested in the bundles.

I went to the site and looked over the payment method options.  At first it looked like I couldn't pay directly through the site; 3 of the four payment methods I've never heard of and the fourth (paypal) I'd signed up with many years ago, found difficult and annoying to use and almost impossible to update, and am no longer willing to use.

Then I saw that I could directly purchase games through the sight by purchasing blue coins.  Then I saw that I needed to register to pay for coins.  Then I learned that I had to 'level up' to at least second level before I could purchase coins.  Then I spent more time wondering what the heck, then I figured out achievements, then I tried to get enough to qualify to spend my money on the site.

And then I finally finished reading about how achievements work and chasing them until I was 'level 2' at last; only to find when I attempted to finally purchase blue coins, that I still cannot pay directly for them through the site.

This business model confuses and discourages me.  Why require customers to 'jump through hoops' at all?  If direct transactions are not permitted why not make this clear and easy to understand?

If I'm doing something wrong and there's a way for me to purchase games quickly, easily, and directly through the site, I'd appreciate some help.  If there's not, well, this long and frustrating process already helped me mostly lost interest in these otherwise interesting deals anyway.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I apologize on GamersGate's behalf if the pricing scheme or the varied payment plans offered don't suit your needs, but as you stated there are many to choose from, and I'll personally take your feedback into account when speaking to accounting next. I hope this suits you Imp!
Poysky Productions

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

AAAAAH MY MONTHLY LIMIT HAS BEEN USED UP HOW AM I EVER GOING TO BUY THIS BUNDLE AAAAH

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Grabbing myself a copy of this one for sure.  Hegemony has been on the edge of my radar for a while, and a couple of the others intrigue me a fair bit too.

E: Oh bugger, I was still connected to my VPN when I paid for this.  Got an email saying "This is a receipt to confirm your order with GamersGate. The order will be processed as soon as your payment is confirmed.  If you placed this order by mistake and have cancelled your payment, or if you did not complete your payment for other reasons you will not be billed and the order will not be processed" and the games aren't in my library.   I predict an irritating conversation with my bank in the near future :-[

2.E: Never mind, got it sorted :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:52:35 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's good news Lord Cooper.

By the way I wanted to clarify that our counter has gotten stuck on 901 sales apparantly and will be fixed tomorrow! We are WELL into the thousands now ^^.

As for the current lineup, well, take a look!

www.indiefort.com

Thanks everyone!
Poysky Productions

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Oooh, the week I totally wanted, score! Bought :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

I'm not interested in Caster and already have zombies. Let me know if you want those gift codes. Not sure how they work, but it's probably through GamersGate.

I got this mostly for the other two. Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greeve is awesome! It's an RTS full of tactical considerations without having to micromanage every spearman in a battle. Positioning is important, and timing for cavalry charges, but that's about it. There's a couple of minor annoying things like alerts being easy to miss, having to micromanage capturing and slaves, and groups refusing to move for some reason, but overall I'm itching to start a new game now that I've got the basic hang of things. It's very challenging, and I keep finding myself wishing it had coop so I could have someone handle our northern borders. It's the kind of game where strategy and tactics blend seamlessly since you can zoom out and see your whole empire and zoom in and see units battling.

Strategic War in Europe looks a lot more amateurish, but looks fairly interesting as well for the genre.

I want to be able to get into a state of mind where I have to actively and constantly think and adapt my strategies, and where I accept that things can and will go wrong. I've been getting too used to not having to think too much to succeed, and that's not a good thing. These two are prime candidates for that!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Tried three of the four and I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Hegemony seems to be the standout title.  It's easiest to think of it as a mix of Total War, Age of Empires and Mount & Blade.  It's gonna eat up a hell of a lot of my time.

Caster seemed like utter shite until around the third level, but picked up very quickly after that.  I finished it in under two hours and there's no real difficulty to speak of, but it's just ridiculously fun and has the best jumping mechanic I've ever come across. 

Zombies is a very simple, but compulsively charming and self aware excuse for a slaughter.  Me likey.

Gonna give Strategic War in Europe a decent bash tomorrow.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

I went through the tutorials for Strategic War in Europe yesterday and then tried a couple of turns as Portugal. It turns out you can't do much, so that wasn't too interesting. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it as one of the bigger nations. Perhaps I'll start with Poland to see how long I can survive!

doomtrader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I went through the tutorials for Strategic War in Europe yesterday and then tried a couple of turns as Portugal. It turns out you can't do much, so that wasn't too interesting. Still, I'm looking forward to trying it as one of the bigger nations. Perhaps I'll start with Poland to see how long I can survive!

Playing as a Portugal only is probably not too much fun. At the beginning the most fun is with Germany or USSR, then when you will learn how does the game works, how to use diplomacy etc, you can try to make a good use of the smaller countries.

Also please remember that you can control more than a single country in one game.

Last thing I would like to point is that the game is very very moddable. You can change a lot of things with any text editor (however some things are easier with excel), so for example you can increase PP created by Portugal and make it a German ally since the beginning of the scenario.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

Hegemony seems to be the standout title.  It's easiest to think of it as a mix of Total War, Age of Empires and Mount & Blade.  It's gonna eat up a hell of a lot of my time.

I agree there. It also activates on Steam if that's important to anyone. 
It seems like they took Total War and went:
"What if this game had depth outside of combat?"

I'm not all that great with the setting though. I've always stayed more into the Roman/Dark Ages+ side of ancient history. I've got a soft spot for European tribal warfare. Suppose is never too late to learn. Anyone know a badarse faction that isn't the Spartans?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

Hi Doomtrader, thanks for dropping by and commenting! :) I am a personal fan of the Pacific, so I am hoping this will sell 4k units... then it appears that Storm over the Pacific will be added :)

I've never really played a hex-based wargame before, but I think I'll go give it a serious try now!

In other news, I have conquered most of the Illyrians in the tutorial campaign for Hegemony. Still having a blast. I REALLY think it would play wonderfully as coop. I have quite a few raids directed my way. Most of them can be beaten relatively easily, but still require management. I find myself having to deal with three battles at the same time, which is a little too much micromanagement. Especially since you should either exterminate or capture all the enemy legions so they don't make it back...

Still, adaptive tactics and having units stationed at major entry points to your empire seem to be a big must!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Hegemony is fun. Since defeated squads automatically rebuild over time, I can focus less on the micromanagement and more on more important matters, such as burning people's homes down.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

We should create a topic for Hegemony. I feel like talking about it, but can't create a decent OP right now.

Still, I am doing the tutorial campaign, which really is just the full game with some hints at the beginning. Right now my plan is to get rid of the Illyrians, but for that I need my other borders secure. I have been paying tribute to the southern and eastern tribes. From the south I never get any attacks. From the east I get the occasional attack, but there's a natural choke-point at a river, so two or three regiments take care of that. I also get boats landing troops next to the capital occasionally, and if they attack at the same time as the eastern tribes, it gets a little iffy, but usually manageable.

Now, I never realised the damned Illyrians occupied so much freaking territory. I am now to the western coast of Greece and it turns out they still have plenty of villages up north in the open plains/swamps/whatever those are. I am regrouping and strengthening my northern approaches. I've gotten a few nasty lightning surprise attacks, and want to make sure those don't happen again.

Great stuff, but there's a few interface improvements that would REALLY help!

Still, anyone moderately interested in RTS with a tactical and strategic component should buy this!

I also went ahead and tried Strategic War in Europe with Poland in '39 and promptly got slaughtered. Me and trying to be the underdog... then I tried a round with France. Also lost, though not as promptly. There's just about enough troops to make a half-decent frontline with Germany. They are blocked for a few turns though, so you can't really invade easily. By the time I realised what was happening and started to move some other troops into Germany, they invaded Belgium, Netherlands, etc up there and just went around my flank :( With tanks, which we don't have. You can upgrade the level of the infantry, which gets it to a decent 9-11 or so, but it's still not enough. I also bought some mechanized infantry, which turned out to be stupid. I wonder if there's any way to beat Germany's first push...

I might get the rest of the bundles so I can get one or two games and give the rest away! I have a bunch of them, and others are not my type.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:22:25 am by Anvilfolk »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6