Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has this happened to anyone else?  (Read 1260 times)

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has this happened to anyone else?
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

After a heap of different world gens, I had finally found a vampire quest (Two, to be exact). I was rather excited, because this would be the first opportunity I'd have at becoming a vampire. I didn't want to waste the opportunity though, so I killed a warlord so that I could get some more followers before I headed out. So, after that I managed to kill the two vampires and drink their blood (Making me wonder who the REAL vampire in that situation was), and went off to do another quest. Once I arrived in the village to report my success, I noticed the Thirsty sign at the bottom of my screen. So, I waited until nightfall to suck on some humans blood. Unfortunately, the man I was feeding on noticed me and started attacking me. I saw my companions and expected them to try and kill me, but instead, they killed the farmer and went on to destroy the whole village. I couldn't help but join in, but as I did I wondered why the hell were they caving the poor, innocent villager's heads in when they should of been trying to kill the vampire (Then again, they might of not seen me feed and might of only seen the farmer attacking me.)

Beenoc

• Bay Watcher
  • To live, one must first be born.
    • View Profile
Re: Has this happened to anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:57:36 pm »

This is DF. People have killed nigh-unkillable bronze godlike beasts by throwing bunnies at them. This is nothing new.
This is a dwarf. It is decorated with dwarfiness and menaces with spikes of Brit. Engraved on the dwarf is an image of a dwarf digging a hole. This relates to the digging of a hole by Honeydew the dwarf in 2011.

I was the deceased vessel through which dark magick was done and Necrothreat III was created from the ruins of my old forum posts: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118805.0

iampaul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »

Considering companions' reactions to wild animals, I'm fairly certain they're just looking for an excuse to slaughter every living thing they see.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:40:29 pm »

This is called a Loyalty Cascade, and it's a highly amusing result of the fairly simplistic AI regarding crimes and enemy/friend status. The peasant saw you as a vampire and attacked, but your companions, part of a different group (yours) didn't. So your companions are friendly and the farmer is hostile. So they kill the farmer. But this means that the companion that struck the killing blow is now an enemy of the civilization, so he is attacked. But he's a civilized person, and so other people run in to help, becoming hostile towards the group that struck your companion. As a result, the people attacking the attacker are also flagged hostile, and now you have basically guaranteed that the village will tear itself apart in a bloody civil war while you stand there and watch.

Nice job. You monster.

Of course, it's also possible for the cascade to not-cascade, in which case the farmer was flagged hostile and your companions killed him but the rest of the civ isn't because they didn't witness the feeding. Vampire feeding works more like Dwarf Mode justice, as far as I know, rather than something like stealing, in which everyone telepathically knows it was you. If the guy who sees you doesn't get a chance to "report" it, others may not notice and thus the person attacking you might be flagged hostile, ostracized and killed without any further loyalty effects.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »

This is called a Loyalty Cascade, and it's a highly amusing result of the fairly simplistic AI regarding crimes and enemy/friend status. The peasant saw you as a vampire and attacked, but your companions, part of a different group (yours) didn't. So your companions are friendly and the farmer is hostile. So they kill the farmer. But this means that the companion that struck the killing blow is now an enemy of the civilization, so he is attacked. But he's a civilized person, and so other people run in to help, becoming hostile towards the group that struck your companion. As a result, the people attacking the attacker are also flagged hostile, and now you have basically guaranteed that the village will tear itself apart in a bloody civil war while you stand there and watch.

Nice job. You monster.

Of course, it's also possible for the cascade to not-cascade, in which case the farmer was flagged hostile and your companions killed him but the rest of the civ isn't because they didn't witness the feeding. Vampire feeding works more like Dwarf Mode justice, as far as I know, rather than something like stealing, in which everyone telepathically knows it was you. If the guy who sees you doesn't get a chance to "report" it, others may not notice and thus the person attacking you might be flagged hostile, ostracized and killed without any further loyalty effects.
Well that and if the farmer doesn't have a historic name to himself so such claims and crimes are attached to, there no vision aspect to it just lack of Legend data on the unit to set crimes against which stops cascaded units from chaining themselves.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes