Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Learning disabilities and natal development  (Read 3604 times)

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning disabilities and natal development
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »

Why not? They still follow natural laws.
Because not all learning disabilities are shared.
Huh? What do you mean?

Anyways, I see no reason why dwarves should not be hit with the same issues humans are.

I am not sure but I think that he is either talking about not all disabilities are shared via genes, or that not all human disabilities would be shared with dwarves. (Correct me if i am wrong)
either way my first and second posts addressed both issues, with the idea of making dwarf specific disabilities, as well as having some that are developmental, not genetic in nature.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:36 pm »

Why not? They still follow natural laws.
Because not all learning disabilities are shared.
Huh? What do you mean?

Anyways, I see no reason why dwarves should not be hit with the same issues humans are.

I am not sure but I think that he is either talking about not all disabilities are shared via genes, or that not all human disabilities would be shared with dwarves. (Correct me if i am wrong)
either way my first and second posts addressed both issues, with the idea of making dwarf specific disabilities, as well as having some that are developmental, not genetic in nature.
In the first case, there are probably analogous disabilities in all species, but only humans can keep them alive long enough to be noticed, and anyways there's no reason dwarves wouldn't have an analogous disability.
In the second case, why not? Dwarves are, physiologically short humans who get knurd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:46 pm »

In the second case, why not? Dwarves are, physiologically short humans who get knurd.
Knurd? Wut?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »

Knurd? Wut?
Discworld thing. Hint: Spell it backwards.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 08:41:46 pm »

Knurd? Wut?
Ah, I see I see.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 10:16:04 pm »

Knurd? Wut?
Ah, I see I see.
Now invert that and consider how dwarves react to a lack of alcohol.
Sig

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 11:04:53 pm »

Knurd? Wut?
Ah, I see I see.
Now invert that and consider how dwarves react to a lack of alcohol.
You are now able to consider what three weeks of nonstop tests/essays do to me xP

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »

New thought having to do with this. When toady adds more teaching and reading stuff in (I think he will because of the new skills in adventurer) how would dyslexia work then? Because I don't know what alphabet the dwarven language uses, but it might actually end up changing entire words instead of just letters. Being dyslexic I know that that is actually worse, because if it is just a wrong letter usually you can catch it, thinking its misspelled, but if it was a whole word you simply use it in context. So this would mean in adventurer mode, if you have dyslexia you might actually be even worse at reading books and such so that you get incorrect information out of them, which could lead to lots of 'Fun'.

What do you guys think?

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

Bearing in mind the progress of civilization in DF, they probably wouldn't be using up-to-date terms like "dyslexia" -- in this era, reading was a rare skill to have anyway and usually only held by societal elites and such, so I don't really see the point in implementing something like this, unless there will be the creation of the dwarven printing press to make universal literacy thinkable.  I'm thinking that there wouldn't be "autism" or "ADHD," but that more generic words would be in use, such as "idiot" or "addled."  Chaining up people with disabilities in the attic was more typical of families in the past, inhumane as this is.  As for natal development: if we are going to get that in depth, than infant and maternal mortality would need to be implemented as well -- the near perfect record of births in this game is somewhat unreal.  Miscarriages are already possible due to lack of food I think, so I'm thinking any stress would simply induce another miscarriage, rather than alter dwarven development -- who knows what kinds of hormones dwarves have? 

All that being said, dwarfism did occur in ages past -- what would a dwarven dwarf look like?

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »

Bearing in mind the progress of civilization in DF, they probably wouldn't be using up-to-date terms like "dyslexia" -- in this era, reading was a rare skill to have anyway and usually only held by societal elites and such, so I don't really see the point in implementing something like this, unless there will be the creation of the dwarven printing press to make universal literacy thinkable.  I'm thinking that there wouldn't be "autism" or "ADHD," but that more generic words would be in use, such as "idiot" or "addled."  Chaining up people with disabilities in the attic was more typical of families in the past, inhumane as this is.  As for natal development: if we are going to get that in depth, than infant and maternal mortality would need to be implemented as well -- the near perfect record of births in this game is somewhat unreal.  Miscarriages are already possible due to lack of food I think, so I'm thinking any stress would simply induce another miscarriage, rather than alter dwarven development -- who knows what kinds of hormones dwarves have? 

All that being said, dwarfism did occur in ages past -- what would a dwarven dwarf look like?
I guess you are right about dyslexia, you would have to have a printing press. I just think it would be funny to have the off chance of a wizard or somthing that always screws up spells because he mixes up b's and d's, or M's and W's  or whatever.
~"ADRA KA ZAW!" *starts raining cats* "Dangit!"

And of course they would call it something else, I brought that up earlier I think, as well as there being dwarf specific ones, like the whole 'elf hearted dwarf' thing. I just say autism and ADHD in this so people can get what I am talking about.

I wholeheartedly agree about the birth thing, simply because I now am starting to have more dwarven children than actual dwarves in the fortress and am almost double my population cap.

As for a dwarf dwarf, I guess it would just sort of be a squat head with legs and arms. lol

Boomboom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 07:19:44 pm »

I guess you are right about dyslexia, you would have to have a printing press. I just think it would be funny to have the off chance of a wizard or somthing that always screws up spells because he mixes up b's and d's, or M's and W's  or whatever.

And of course they would call it something else, I brought that up earlier I think, as well as there being dwarf specific ones, like the whole 'elf hearted dwarf' thing. I just say autism and ADHD in this so people can get what I am talking about.

I wholeheartedly agree about the birth thing, simply because I now am starting to have more dwarven children than actual dwarves in the fortress and am almost double my population cap.

As for a dwarf dwarf, I guess it would just sort of be a squat head with legs and arms. lol

Ah, I must have missed that part, my mistake.  Magic accidents would have the potential for great comedy.  Yes, a little birth mortality would correct rapid dwarven population growth.  lol I can picture the dwarf dwarf now -- I guess it would have to wear small size clothing. 

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »

Ah, I must have missed that part, my mistake.  Magic accidents would have the potential for great comedy.  Yes, a little birth mortality would correct rapid dwarven population growth.  lol I can picture the dwarf dwarf now -- I guess it would have to wear small size clothing.
Nah, it would just wear pant legs and sleeves, it doesn't have a torso you know xD

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 09:05:20 pm »

Another thing that this would require (and I don't know if anyone brought this up) would be head injury's that dwarves survive should lead to the possibility of disorders or changes in personality if bad enough. Though that begs the question of how often a dwarf survives a head wound bad enough to cause such problems, as well as needing to map out the brain of each dwarf, unless you want to give the dice gods power over something.

Still I am not a coder and don't know exactly how you would do that either, but this too seems like another thing that should happen.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:14 am »

New thought having to do with this. When toady adds more teaching and reading stuff in (I think he will because of the new skills in adventurer) how would dyslexia work then? Because I don't know what alphabet the dwarven language uses, but it might actually end up changing entire words instead of just letters. Being dyslexic I know that that is actually worse, because if it is just a wrong letter usually you can catch it, thinking its misspelled, but if it was a whole word you simply use it in context. So this would mean in adventurer mode, if you have dyslexia you might actually be even worse at reading books and such so that you get incorrect information out of them, which could lead to lots of 'Fun'.

What do you guys think?
Neat. Don't let a dyslexic adventurer read a magical tome.

First off, dwarves don't know what atoms are, yet they use atomsmashers. That's a poor example, but it's entirely possible for us to give some dwarves Asberger's Syndrome or ADHD without them understanding them.
Why do you assume the biochemistry of dwarves is so different from that of humans?
Given the above point, why would dwarves have dwarfism? Dropping that...very short limbs, a bit bigger than a kobold overall.

Another thing that this would require (and I don't know if anyone brought this up) would be head injury's that dwarves survive should lead to the possibility of disorders or changes in personality if bad enough. Though that begs the question of how often a dwarf survives a head wound bad enough to cause such problems, as well as needing to map out the brain of each dwarf, unless you want to give the dice gods power over something.

Still I am not a coder and don't know exactly how you would do that either, but this too seems like another thing that should happen.
This makes sense.
Presumably, dwarves would survive head wounds the same way humans do: Sometimes.
Sig

Fish is yum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 12:13:27 pm »

New thought having to do with this. When toady adds more teaching and reading stuff in (I think he will because of the new skills in adventurer) how would dyslexia...
Neat. Don't let a dyslexic adventurer read a magical tome.

Bearing in mind the progress of civilization in DF, they probably wouldn't be using up-to-date terms like "dyslexia"....
First off, dwarves don't know what atoms are, yet they use atomsmashers. That's a poor example, but it's entirely possible for us to give some dwarves Asberger's Syndrome or ADHD without them understanding them.
Why do you assume the biochemistry of dwarves is so different from that of humans?
Given the above point, why would dwarves have dwarfism? Dropping that...very short limbs, a bit bigger than a kobold overall.

Another thing that this would require....
This makes sense.
Presumably, dwarves would survive head wounds the same way humans do: Sometimes.
Or maybe dyslexia is an affect of choosing to have a low reading skill from the get-go? Still, it shouldn't be so bad that you can't work around it. There should be a pastern to it, so for example, blue is always switched with purple or something, and have that random for each adventurer so that people would have to figure it out on their own. It really depends on the dwarven alphabet to be honest. If it is letters like ours and some are similar in shape (b d p q, M W, u n, for example) than it would just be letter switches, which wouldn't be that bad unless its something like bog is actually dog. If its more like chinese though, where each character is its own word, or ancient Egyptian where it is pictures, I don't think it would matter all to much. I had Chinese in fourth grade and I was the second highest grade in the class (Under the Chinese girl) and I have dyslexia. I think it is because the words are basically pictures, and they are all different, so even if my mind sees them upside down or whatever it doesn't matter as much as seeing a b instead of a p.

Still there is the other part of dyslexia that I tend to accidentally skip entire lines of text, so it is kind of like:
There is spot. See spot run.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
And they lived happily ever after.

But I don't know how well that would transfer in game though, and I don't even know if that is a part of dyslexia or not. There would have to be an option to 'check again' or something because sometimes you can tell you misread something. Though you would also then have to be limited on how many times you could use it because people would just spam it otherwise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3