Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North  (Read 10489 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 04:46:00 am »

Make use of that choke point - build a trapfence there. It doesn't give you any big chances of catching anything, but it's always worth a try.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:45 am »

Actually, a dwarf may very easily subsist on fish alone.  They're highly nutritious!  And that would be a terrible place for a trap fence, far too small.  More likely you'll be making it into a defensive choke point, which is relatively useless in gameplay terms, but will look very cool.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:34 am »

Oddly enough, most of my DF dwarves *are* heavily piscivorous.

I never had much luck with fishing in UW, but maybe that's why I tend to never live more than a week or so...hunting just tends to wind up getting me badly injured and/or dead.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 11:12:16 am »

Oddly enough, most of my DF dwarves *are* heavily piscivorous.

I never had much luck with fishing in UW, but maybe that's why I tend to never live more than a week or so...hunting just tends to wind up getting me badly injured and/or dead.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 12:13:55 pm »

Well, yes, of course I *could* live off fish. But it seems more Dwarfy to see about trapping animals to get some good red meat into the diet.

Probably won't get a chance to do anything more with this for a few days, but I'm hoping I'll get to get some solid play-time in on Friday.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 01:59:03 pm »

The main thread has explained hunting and sneaking.  The real trickery is that animals are hyper-sensitive.  If they are Alert, or they're looking towards you, then you need to wait (hit .) until they calm down.  And of course your sneak skill helps you to not break branches as you walk, so you're more likely to remain sneak as you approach.  Weight matters too, as your encumbrance directly reduces your skill level.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 01:23:02 am »

Well, yes, of course I *could* live off fish. But it seems more Dwarfy to see about trapping animals to get some good red meat into the diet.

Currently, meat offers no advantages over fish.  However, animal carcasses give skins which can be made into clothing, which is awesome.  Every extra bit of clothing offers some protection, and furs that you don't make into clothing can be traded with fur traders up north for actual armor.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 07:18:14 am »

Currently, meat offers no advantages over fish.  However, animal carcasses give skins which can be made into clothing, which is awesome.  Every extra bit of clothing offers some protection, and furs that you don't make into clothing can be traded with fur traders up north for actual armor.

Also, you have to get it by belting its owner over the head.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 12:14:28 pm »

Just so people know, I'm not new at the game. While I'm sure there are various intricate details I don't know, especially about the current version, I'm quite capable of getting a character to survive through winter. So while I'm perfectly happy for people to chime in with suggestions or to point out something I may have overlooked, I don't actually need rudimentary advice on how to play.

My current plan is for this character to survive primarily through fishing for now. I will get a trap line set up soon, though, so I can start benefiting from additional meat + furs/leather. At some point I may also see about trading for some herd animals, since it's always nice to have a backup if you need it. I'm not going to focus too much on actual hunting, since that takes time that would be better spent working on the Fortress. I imagine most of that will just be opportunistic squirrel hunting.

Not going to bother farming, at least for the first year. Meat and gathered plants should suffice, along with any grains that I may trade for.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 12:20:34 am »

The Diary of Bomrek - Good old fashioned Traps!

Now that I've marked out where I'm going to build my fortress, it's time to get things going. First thing is first - a Cellar to keep food fresh. The nets will usually give me more food than I can eat at one time, and being able to keep it all from rotting will be good. Fortunately, digging a cellar is not big chore for a Dwarf! And I get it finished just in time for my nets to pull in a bounty of fish. Over 24 pounds worth of fish! With this much food at hand, I can concentrate on my next task - getting some decent traps up and running. I feel the need for some fresh meat, and hides won't go amiss either.

Cellar
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I head off for the east, and find a likely spot. A nice conifer swath that should be teeming with wildlife. I found a nice pocket that I can mostly fence in, but I think for the most part I'll be going north-south with it.

Trapline

While I'm working on my fences, a stupid squirrel decided to start haranguing me. Well, I showed him not to insult a dwarf! A perfect throw of my javalin knocks it unconscious and out of the tree! Squirrels aren't much, but fresh meat is fresh meat, and a welcome change from fish.

Perfect Shot

The trapline continues to grow, and when I come back one day to continue working on it I find a welcome sight. Tracks! Quite a few of them, from many different animals. I see Elk, Wild Boar, and Forest Reindeer tracks all going through the area. Looks like I chose a good spot indeed!

Tracks
Come play Mafia with us!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 05:50:20 am »

Wild Boar? Really? I haven't heard of those, nor seen them before. In game, that is.

Spoiler: Optional (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 02:26:12 pm »

Ok you said not to give advice, but here's a dandy trick I learned:
Build your cellar beside a wall or a shelter.  When you're drying foods, you need to tie them up to a cabin wall or a shelter.  When the food finishes drying, it drops off into the cellar automatically so you don't have to move it yourself, just dry and forget.  Dried cellar food will last you like 3+ years.  I think the same idea applies to roasting, but it may burn if you leave it too long.  I suggest you use a small fish or a bit of squirrel meat to test this, and see if you just set it to start roasting above the cellar, will it burn or will it store?

Also raw meat doesn't keep long, even in a cellar it spoils quickly.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »

Spoiler: Optional (click to show/hide)
I'm in support of this. Trap-fences are a thing of beauty. It'll keep you from having to do much for food, thus freeing up time for fortressing.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2012, 03:11:19 pm »

Ok you said not to give advice, but here's a dandy trick I learned:
Build your cellar beside a wall or a shelter.  When you're drying foods, you need to tie them up to a cabin wall or a shelter.  When the food finishes drying, it drops off into the cellar automatically so you don't have to move it yourself, just dry and forget.  Dried cellar food will last you like 3+ years.  I think the same idea applies to roasting, but it may burn if you leave it too long.  I suggest you use a small fish or a bit of squirrel meat to test this, and see if you just set it to start roasting above the cellar, will it burn or will it store?

Also raw meat doesn't keep long, even in a cellar it spoils quickly.

That is a good idea! I'll have to try that. Should be easy to do. I get tons of fish out of the nets.

And, yeah, I only store Raw Meat in a Cellar if I'm preparing to smoke/dry it but have to work in stages. Usually if there is so much meat it takes several trips to grab, or when I need to tan a hide to make cords.
Come play Mafia with us!

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

wow extremely fun to read great to see people still doing a unreal world lets play
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4