Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North  (Read 10481 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World LP - Fortress of the North
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be using boats for log transport as much as possible.

And the sword is pretty impressive. I still need an axe, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »

How come I have never heard of this game? Got the shareware version and so far it seems pretty impressive. Also, this diary is pretty interesting so far. :)
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 11:05:49 pm »

The Diary of Bomrek - Of Fishing and Trade

One of the first things to greet me in this bright land was a squirrel. The furry beast chattering at me from the top of a tree. It annoyed me, so I threw rocks at it until I knocked it out and it fell from the tree. After dispatching it with a quick slice of my blade, and I know that's overkill, I skinned and cleaned it. It'd make a good lunch.

Anyway, lacking any better options I set off to the West. I walked for quite some time, going from hilltop to hilltop and scaling mountains to get a better idea of the lay of the land around me. After the better part of a day I came across a nice sized lake. Since I'd already roasted and eaten the squirrel earlier I figured I should set up camp for a bit. I needed a supply of food to keep me going, and it makes sense to use these nets I'm lugging around.

Fishing Camp
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It took a while, and I was forced to eat some of the provisions I'd brought with me. But between the nets and my hook I managed to gather up enough fish to keep me fed for a bit.

Fish!

After two days in that camp, and with a few more fish to add to my collection, I headed off. Soon I spotted signs of Humans. But the camp was obviously inhabited by Savages of some sort, and I felt they wouldn't have what I need. Humans can also be unpredictable and violent, and without armor I felt it was wiser to steer clear of them.

Savages

After a lot more walking I finally came across signs of actual Civilization. The smoke from cook fires rose up to the sky, and proper houses dotted the village. Perhaps here I can get an Axe!

Civilization

As it turns out, there are quite a few of these Driik villages around. Quite handy, and they had many shops with fine goods for me to buy. Sadly, I lack much in the way of things to trade with.

Many Towns

However, I was able to trade my Spear for a Masterwork Carving Axe. This will prove most useful when building anything of note, and should suffice for other tasks. I'd have loved to have gotten some more types of axes, but as I was unwilling to part with my sword I had to content myself with the one axe.

New Axe!

I'll have to practice my wood carving. Perhaps I can make some trinkets to sell. They had a number of tools that would help me greatly, as well as small boats and clothing that would be quite useful.

I spied a river off to the north, where I think I'll set up a small camp. Someplace good to place the nets and practice my trade. Maybe build up a stockpile of food while I plan for the future.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:59 pm »

Pike and burbot, those will keep you for a few days!  Not a bad start, all said!

Do keep in mind that you can craft a stone axe, though it's generally poor at everything, and you can always hire an adventurer, kill them, and loot their axes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »

Pike and burbot, those will keep you for a few days!  Not a bad start, all said!

Do keep in mind that you can craft a stone axe, though it's generally poor at everything, and you can always hire an adventurer, kill them, eat them, and loot their axes.
Fixed that for you.   :P

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »

Cannibalism in this game, is kind of a given. You kill someone, of course you're going to eat them.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 11:50:34 pm »

Cannibalism in this game, is kind of a given. You kill someone, of course you're going to eat them.

That's not really my style, though. And definitely against dwarven ethos. So I won't be doing that this LP. I'm not an Elf!
Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:18 pm »

Then you have a difficult task ahead of you, if you intend to build your fortress without any delicious Roasted Unnamed Foreign Trader Cuts.  Or worse, when you do learn their names.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 12:10:48 am »

That's not really my style, though. And definitely against dwarven ethos. So I won't be doing that this LP. I'm not an Elf!
I respect that, I'll just be over here enjoying some nice delicious dried hunter cuts.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 12:41:39 am »

The Diary of Bomrek - Crafting tradegoods

Determined to improve my lot, I went up to the river and found myself a decent place to camp by the rapids. The river would provide plenty of food, and the forest would give me wood to ply my trade with.

Crafting Camp

The river gods are with me! This river has so many fish in it I'm not certain I'll be able to eat all of this before it goes bad. Survival, at least, seems to be taken care of.

Bounty of the River

I spend several days crafting various tradegoods. Javelins, clubs, wooden bowls, and the like. My skill is enough to get decent results, but I find this crude knife to be a hindrance. First order of business is going to be getting a better knife!

Taking a fairly large amount of goods, I wander through the various towns. It takes quite a while, but I manage to trade my old knife in, with a few Javelins and clubs, for a Masterwork Broad Knife! Even poorly wrought dwarven steel has good value, it seems.

However, the majority of my goods are just too rough for interest the merchants, and I head back to my camp. Now that I have a better knife, perhaps I'll be able to do better.

After about a week of working on crafts, as well as some intermittent fishing. That previous catch does go bad eventually, but a new haul replenishes my stores sufficiently. I also discover that I need to pay more attention to how long the nets have been out. One haul of fish went bad before I brought in the nets! Wasteful. I shall be more careful in the future.

With an improved stock of goods, I headed off to the towns once again. There I was able to procure a small, lightweight boat. The craftmanship on this is quite good, and I feel that it will prove most handy in the days to come. If nothing else, I can finally get across the river to explore some more. It did take nearly all of the goods I had crafted, however. No matter, I think it's worth it.

Trading for a Boat

Now I find myself thinking more of the future. I have good quality tools, if not the variety I'd like, and an easy source of fish. I also have transport, which opens up a lot of options.

Obviously, I'll need a more permanent living situation. This camp is all well and good, but it's not going to work in the long term. No...I need someplace a Dwarf can really call home.

I need a Fortress.

Yes. Something grand. Something that I can be proud of. A true Fortress for a true Dwarf.

I think that's my next task. I need to find a suitable place for this Fortress. Probably along the river, as I will need many, many logs to build this Fortress and it'll be easier floating them along the river than dragging them along the ground.

Tomorrow, I set off to explore the river!

And then...we shall see what this lands holds for us.
Come play Mafia with us!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »

Deep in my heart, I've been waiting for this to happen.

Posting to watch for the moment, I need to get back to this game to give any useful stupid dwarfy suggestions to what should be done.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »

I scouted the river for a while today, and found several likely places with Rapids that could make a decent spot for a fortress.

The question now is, which spot do I go for?

I could head Down to the Sea, and go on either bank of the river.

I could, of course, stay where I am and turn this camp into something more permanent,

If I go up a ways, just outside of Driik territory, there is a large island in the middle. Now, I don't fancy myself an Island Dwarf, so I won't settle on it directly, but there are a few promising spots near it. One North, one South, and one East

Past that the river widens, giving me even more options to work with. Three along the Northern Bank and one on the Southern.

Do I take any of these? Or do I venture further up this river? We'll be getting much further away from civilization if we do that, though I have no idea if that's good or bad.

Come play Mafia with us!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »

Get outside of Driik cultural zone, if only barely.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:04:22 pm »

Get outside of Driik cultural zone, if only barely.

Everything other than the seaward one and my campsite are outside of their cultural zone.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 11:33:44 pm »

After taking a better look at the potential spots, I have chosen one!

This spot has several advantages. It has ready access to the river, plenty of timber both on site and in the vicinity, and a nice choke point between the river and a pond which I can use as my entrance area. Also, while it is outside of the territory claimed by the Driik, it isn't so far away that I can't make trips in for supplies when I need to.

So for now, I've set up a camp near the choke point. The nets are out, and I've caught a few large fish to keep me going while I start work. This is going to be my primary home for a while, so I plan on creating a cabin here which will eventually be enclosed by the Fortress walls.

First order of business will be to get a cellar built so that if I get an especially good haul of fish I can store them without losing too much to rot. After that, I can work on the cabin. I'll also need to start getting some traps set up, both in this area and across the river. A Dwarf can't subsist on a diet of fish alone!

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4