Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: adding quicksand.  (Read 1921 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
adding quicksand.
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:22:33 pm »

I have never done anything like this before, so I  will try my best to explain.

would adding quicksand, deep muddy bogs, tar pits, etc be a good addition to the game? like small patches here or there that can make the gameplay a little more fun or interesting?

I would like to hear what people have to say and see what you all come up with :3

Clarification I forgot, more as I think and actually act smart X3 (more as I think):

I thought about quicksand in this game as I was unsure of the way it would affect things.
I am a fan of sinking and other strange perils, and was intersted in how others would think about how adding some sinky, sticky peril would affect the game.

I know that tar, mud, sink-holes, etc all act a little different. maybe some would not be out of shear trolldome or annoyance? or treat things like tar as magma and make it nearly game over if entered? or maybe for getting meat from stuck animals?

new stuff from new comments and from things just thought about X3

I forgot about industrial purposes and moving such substances around.
Tar would be an interesting industrial material. and people are right about a drowning chamber.
so many possibilities. might be valuable, as there are towns in the real world built near pitch lakes to get a cheap sorce of adhesive :3
(forgot to mention alchemy, I am not that experienced yet with the game, sorry X3)

one last things for now. What about finding bones or other artifacts in mud/tar or ones that have dried up?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:19:43 am by Zavvnao »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: adding quicksand.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:37:34 am »

Probably. However, it would make them just a random feature if dwarves autoavoided them and really annoying if they never learned to walk around, so I suspect it would affect Adventure Mode more.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:14:44 am »

Probably. However, it would make them just a random feature if dwarves autoavoided them and really annoying if they never learned to walk around, so I suspect it would affect Adventure Mode more.

Thank you. :3 that makes a lot of sense, and I will try to be more clear in the future whe nI post things :3

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:41:09 pm »

For a first time, that's pretty good. A little underthought, maybe, but at least it's not another thread about slavery, sewage, bugfixes, commercializing DF, or fixing the bugs from dipping slaves into sewage so the game will be palatable to the commercial audience.

I don't think I've seen that last thread, actually...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:00 pm »

I'm thinking about this, and what would the quicksand actually do?
It tends to get people stuck usually, and they then die of exhaustion/starvation/exposure. But in DF that could well take a while, you'd just end up with a pit full of charitable dwarves who were going to feed one who got stuck initially.

It'd probably have to come around the time of a pathing and behaviours overhaul.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:52 pm »

For a first time, that's pretty good. A little underthought, maybe, but at least it's not another thread about slavery, sewage, bugfixes, commercializing DF, or fixing the bugs from dipping slaves into sewage so the game will be palatable to the commercial audience.

I don't think I've seen that last thread, actually...

yeah, I tend to not think these outas much as I should X3

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »

maybe if they do not move to fast they can get out? and weight would affect it somehow?
I forgot about the stuck over a logn time thing X3 maybe tarpits can be used to find meat from stuck animals?

I know each thing acts differently. maybe oobleck trenches? X3

Braingnawer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:11:31 am »

I honestly love the possibilities of tar. For example... Can I pump it at an incredibly slow rate. Can i use the tar for alchemical and industrial processes. For tar and quicksand could i create a flood gate, mine into it and fill a special drowning chamber. Will the tar make your dwarfs particularly flammable?
Your dwarves should be able to bring buckets of the stuff and fill a pit with it if they want.
I mean worst case scenario i see a tar pit as a nice dumping ground.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:43 am »

I honestly love the possibilities of tar. For example... Can I pump it at an incredibly slow rate. Can i use the tar for alchemical and industrial processes. For tar and quicksand could i create a flood gate, mine into it and fill a special drowning chamber. Will the tar make your dwarfs particularly flammable?
Your dwarves should be able to bring buckets of the stuff and fill a pit with it if they want.

I see. that is a good idea. all of those are good idea and wold make a lot o scene :3

Also, Port-of-Spain in our world was used for mining the Pitch lakes dowen in Trinidad and Tobago.
So maybe industrial purposes as well :3
(forgot to mention alchemy, sorry X3)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:07:03 am by Zavvnao »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 11:14:38 am »

Quicksand ceases to be quicksand when you mine it. It's just sand after all.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:59:06 am »

Quicksand ceases to be quicksand when you mine it. It's just sand after all.
I see. :3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:37 pm »

If we add it then it should be manufacturable. Maybe some sort of machine like a screw pump, except it requires buckets of water and bags of sand to be emptied into it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »

If we add it then it should be manufacturable. Maybe some sort of machine like a screw pump, except it requires buckets of water and bags of sand to be emptied into it.

That makes a lot of sense. maybe also something that can e turned on and off to make walkable surface sometiems?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »

That makes a lot of sense. maybe also something that can e turned on and off to make walkable surface sometiems?
Wouldn't that just be a drawbridge over it?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »

I eagerly await the sticky-burning-tar-cannons.
(This would probaby work pretty well, if the bonfire mod or something equivalent ever gets added into the standard raws so we can light fires,, and tar is mineable/producable /buyable and can be loaded into minecart launchers. It'd be a nice addition to the flying lead bars and menacing spikes.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:20:58 pm by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.
Pages: [1] 2